PS4 party chat is free, friends lists capped at 2,000 people

Monday, 29th July 2013 13:51 GMT By Dave Cook

PS4′s party chat feature will not be blocked behind a PS Plus pay-wall, and friends lists can hold 2,000 people. That’s a lot of friends.

Sony’s PlayStation Access show confirmed that PS4 has free party chat that doesn’t require a PS Plus subscription to use, and that friends lists are capped at 2,000 people. The console will not support DualShock 3 but it will work with PS Move. Your current PSN avatar and username will also transfer over to PS4 as well.

What do you make of the above?

Thanks AGB.

1. Faithseekers

Sounds Awesome

#1 1 year ago
  2. MCTJim

Holy crap 2000 friends..I dont know 2000 people LOL

#2 1 year ago
  3. OmegaSlayer

Let’s see if Microsoft raises the cap of the friends list LOL

#3 1 year ago
  4. VibraniumSpork

The Move thing is -weirdly – good to know. Getting a lot of heat from my girl that if I’m picking up a PS4 on launch I better be getting her Just Dance to play on it O_O Better start hunting for a couple of cheap Move sticks…

#4 1 year ago
  5. backup

amazing
    xbot1 is dead

#5 1 year ago
  6. Peetry

Of the 100 or so people in my friends list I actively speak to 10 maybe 15 off them. Which come to think of it is exactly the same as my actual life.

#6 1 year ago
  7. VibraniumSpork

@6 It’s okay guy *big hug*

#7 1 year ago
  8. actuallyisnotafox

some people on other sites are like “i dont like sonys attitude towards next gen, you dont need 2000″ tbh this is great for celebrities, or youtubers, or just popular people. if you dont want 2000 friends then keep it low :)

#8 1 year ago
  9. MCTJim

what we have here is 1 upsmanship by Sony. Out of the 100 I have on the 360, I speak to 20-25 regularly….even 1000 is super overkill…2000 is wayyy overboard.

#9 1 year ago
  10. wildBoar

Sony, you better fucking allow me to change my username this time around…

#10 1 year ago
  11. Kieran

@8 yea exactly :) i sometimes get friend requests while playing online depending how good i did only a small amount i chat to regularly but hi 2000 is nice i just hope you can turn off the pronpt when someone goes online or offline but still have it on when you recieve a message :)

#11 1 year ago
  12. bradk825

Will Sony supply me with friends to add to my list? LOL.

I have 25 people on my friends list, I know them all in real life. I don’t add online people as a rule. I used to, and I’d play maybe one more game with them and then we’d never speak again, and 6 months later I’d delete them. Not worth bothering with for me.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Phoenixblight

Its not 1 up anything if it was SOny would be shouting from the rooftops. It is just a question and an answer, no one really needs that but it is nice to have.

#13 1 year ago
  14. xBASSxMONSTAx

PS4 FTW! :D

#14 1 year ago
  15. Lengendaryboss

No no its FFTW (Friends For The Win) ;)

#15 1 year ago
  16. MrWaffles

Microsoft: “We’ll allow two thousand and ONE friends on your list, wuahahahaha”

The world: “mmmk… time for bed Microsoft”

#16 1 year ago
  17. torjs99

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssss! ps4 ftw!

#17 1 year ago
  18. Ireland Michael

Am I the only one getting tired of this constant console oneupmanship by people?

The whole “console war” bullshit seems to be getting even worse with the new generation of hardware. Just enjoy your games.

#18 1 year ago
  19. SlayerGT

@18 Its competition. For instance, MS wouldn’t be giving free games to Gold members if not for Plus. Great for us gamers.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Ireland Michael

@19 I’m not talking about the console manufacturers. I’m talking about the gamers.

#20 1 year ago
  21. bradk825

@18 +1

#21 1 year ago
  22. NocturnalB

Sounds awesome to me.

@8 I agree completely, I was actually pretty shocked to see comments implying offense over the fact Sony is giving them more good stuff.

Which leads me to agree with Ireland Michael’s point.

A select few of you folks really need to step away from gaming news a little bit and get some air, seems like you’ve been reading so much in the industry lately that some of you are literally starting to complain about… oneuping? Since when is getting more cool stuff a bad thing? The fanboys are really starting to lose their grip.

#22 1 year ago
  23. DrDamn

Yes it’s worse this time. Probably related to the reversal in perception between the two companies. I’d like to think we’d be able to start talking more about the games, but I don’t think it’s going to happen any time soon.

#23 1 year ago
  24. Christopher Jack

@20, It’s the sports mentality. Most fans don’t have anything but adrenaline fueled emotion invested into their favourite teams yet many of them are crazy enough to literally fight about it. They don’t really know why but that’s normal human instinct. GO WILDCATS! YOU SUCK DOMESTICDOGS!

#24 1 year ago
  25. Ireland Michael

@22 Every console is great. Every machine has great games, whether its a handheld, a phone, or a console under the TV. The numbers are ultimately meaningless. All that matters is the existence of good games.

#25 1 year ago
  26. SlayerGT

@20 Oh..absolutely it’s retarded.

#26 1 year ago
  27. jmg24bad

I love how they are throwing uppercuts at eachother like this lol

#27 1 year ago
  28. Kreion

So MS up their friends list an announce it. Then Sony go, “Oh well we can let you have 2000 friends list!” That’s just pathetic. It’s such a pointless thing to have a pissing contest over, not to mention the fact I don’t have 2000 friends. I doubt many people do, nor want 2000 friends, it seems excessive.

But if it make you feel better then boast about this to all your 2000 friends.

The party chat feature is nice, I don’t think you can do that on XBL silver. Not that it’s an issue for me, but I suppose some people like to chat whilst on single player.

#28 1 year ago
  29. KAP

For those saying they dont have 2,000 friends don’t seem to understand that Sony confirmed that you can carry over your social network friends (Facebook, Twitter etc) and transfer them to your PSN friend list via the PS4.

Ala The Last Of Us, which transfers your Facebook friends and uses them in the multiplayer in such a kool way.

So regardless of having 2,000 friends or not its a good thing to take in to account once you adapt all your social network pals.

Great example is I follow 1,000s of people on twitter from friends, family AND celebrities.. having them automatically added to my friendslist would be awesome.

#29 1 year ago
  30. MCTJim

but but but its a gaming machine :P

#30 1 year ago
  31. xino

2000 people?
    you might as well just play a Quick Match or Match Making…they are essentially your friend:/

the thing I dislike about Friends list is that people are more respectable and fair when playing with someone on friendslist but when they play Quick Match or Match Making, they are total assholes.

unless it justifies these douches need Friend-in-need:/

anyway now that they raise the bar for friends, they should do the same for Blocked List.
    i just found out the max block list is up to 25 people.
    nonsense and garbage!

#31 1 year ago
  32. xxJPRACERxx

Didn’t MS announced at e3 that there will be no limit to the number of friends?

I remember having about 50 friends on my list and thought that was too much. Did a clean up and ended with about 15. Really, 2000 is ridiculous, imagine the number of pop-ups while you play!

#32 1 year ago
  33. KAP

MS has 1,000 limit.

#33 1 year ago
  34. Beersup

Wow you don’t even need PS Plus to talk about Xbox together. That’s a hugh win for the fanboys!

Can’t wait

#34 1 year ago
  35. Eddie Rodrigues

2,000? That is way more than Steam can handle ATM.

Holy geez how are they even doing that?

#35 1 year ago