ASDA won’t stock Wii U consoles or games in-store after UK-wide drop

Monday, 29th July 2013 15:39 GMT By Dave Cook

Wii U consoles and games will no longer be stocked in UK supermarket chain ASDA’s 555 stores, according to the retailer. It will, however, continue to stock games online via a title-by-title basis.

CVG reports that the Wal-Mart owned chain will cease the sale of all Wii U console models, games and accessories in-store, and that only a few related products remain on the ASDA Direct website, including basic white Wii U consoles. This could just be a sell-through of remaining units however.

An ASDA rep confirmed the dropping of Wii U to the site in a statement that read, “ASDA continues to offer customers a selection of Wii U games and accessories through Asda Direct, but these ranges are currently not on offer in Asda shops.”

They added that new games would only appear on ASDA Direct on a title-by-title basis, presumably for ones they know will sell well, “Asda will stock [Wii U] games on a title by title merit basis as they come along through Asda Direct. We will continue to support Nintendo as a format holder partner.”

Pikmin 3 was not stocked by ASDA according to CVG’s sources, and it’s unclear if the chain will re-consider its stance down the line.

Nintendo added in its own statement, “Nintendo UK does not comment on specific business practices with individual retailers. However, as we have seen with Nintendo 3DS, software sells hardware, and with titles such as Wonderful 101, Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD and Super Mario 3D World already announced for this year as well as the recently released Pikmin 3 and New Super Luigi U having reached number 2 and number 6 in this week’s chart respectively, we are looking forward to the year ahead on Wii U.”

What do you make of the above? Does it bode badly for Nintendo? Could you see ASDA picking up the format again if sales improve? Let us know below.

1. NocturnalB

I want to like the Wii U so much. To be honest as long as it’s been out and as many times as I’ve demo’d it, I still have mixed feelings, and yea it is primarily the games, well the lack of, really. Maybe a year or 2 down the road if it’s built it’s library.

#1 12 months ago
  2. stealth

@1, the system is fantastic

With regards to this news who cares? They dont even stock 3ds but they stock the last place vita? That shows it has nothing to do with sales but everything to do with brand loyality. Not that this store sells much in the way of hardware

#2 12 months ago
  3. Lengendaryboss

Oh boy…

#3 12 months ago
  4. DrDamn

Supermarket support for the console has been poor post launch. I think this leaves just Sainsburys of the big UK supermarkets supporting it. The problem is this leaves mainly just Game selling most stuff at RRP as far as bricks and mortar retail goes.

They’ll come back if things pick up following the release of bigger titles. I hope they do.

#4 12 months ago
  5. Luciferous

Wonder if they will repeal this idiotic move once the system gets a big Mario or Zelda title and starts to sell well.

#5 12 months ago
  6. viralshag

Even with the supposedly “heavy hitters” coming out this year I would be surprised if Asda decided to restock the console. I imagine they will plan to use the shelf space for the next gen consoles.

I have a feeling they’re already planning their store layouts now and probably not including a section for WiiU amongst the XB1 and PS4. My feeling is they’re gonna have to rely on online retailers and stores like GAME.

#6 12 months ago
  7. Dark

#7 12 months ago
  8. MarcoosVGC

Who goes to Asda to buy games anyway..? They are generally overpriced at supermarkets anyway, hence why i’m not too fussed at this.

#8 12 months ago
  9. viralshag

Overpriced at supermarkets? I think they offer some of the best prices for games going these days.

#9 12 months ago
  10. MCTJim

I really dont think a supermarket is a huge business venture with Nintendo…to me its the same as a drug store selling the console..not too many people go in said store to buy it.

#10 12 months ago
  11. Dragon246

No wonder Ninty is expected to post a operating loss this quarter.
    Pikmin 3 sold bad in Japan and elsewhere. W101 will probably end up like other Platinum games and so on.
    Ninty is really clutching the straws in home console market now. They need to take proactive steps like they did with 3DS which received a substantial price cut just after Sony announced Vita price at E3 2011. They should announce a price cut in Gamescom.
    Wii U is in real danger on getting sandwiched between current gen and next gen if Ninty doesn’t get their shit together fast.
    http://www.poopessence.com will say otherwise though.

#11 12 months ago
  12. Clupula

I didn’t play any games when I lived in the UK, so I’m not sure if this is a big deal or not. It’s certainly not good for Nintendo, though. But I’m not sure if this is a very minor setback or a major stab, since nobody guys videogame consoles at supermarkets in the States and there wasn’t a tv in the house I lived in London.

I remember asking why and being shocked to discover that you needed a license for a tv over there.

#12 12 months ago
  13. xBASSxMONSTAx

So they decide not to stock Wii U but they decide to stock Sony’s PS Vita which is also selling next to nothing? Strange ey…

#13 12 months ago
  14. Ireland Michael

@13 Obviously the profit margins they’re making off the product is working out better for them. There’s nothing to say they won’t ditch that soon either. I’m surprised they stock the Vita at all, honestly.

#14 12 months ago
  15. DeVitowned

@ #7

One of those was made for the PS3. Look how that turned out. Hurr durr!

#15 12 months ago
  16. backup

end of kidtendo

after that xbot

#16 12 months ago
  17. adja

Whether pikmin 3 sold poorly or not, is open to interpretation. It sold only just short of the amount that the original Pikmin sold at the Gamecube’s launch. Other games may do better or may not do better depending on how many people know about the games and whether they are stocked and advertised.

Stocking things on a ‘merit’ basis is just ASDA’s way of saying that the merits of a game are for ASDA to decide. What merits? Sales figures merits. That’s it — that’s all it can be equated to in business talk.

ASDA has not enough faith in the Wii U to trial potentially popular upcoming releases, but hopefully it will promote the Wii U again in the future, when the timing is right.

I would say it’s a silly move to not stock Pikmin 3, (which debuted at number 2 apparently) and to not have any display space in store for the Wii U. I assume that the allocated space was minimal to begin with, but I bet the Wii still has some space.
    The Wii’s sales are not anything to look forward to. Just because something has gained merit from sales of the past, that does not mean that it makes sense in the present. If Wii U consoles aren’t stocked in at least minimal quantities alongside Wii consoles, then nobody will associate the two, and isn’t that the purpose of a system of merit — that merit carries over from one product to another in a range of similar products? Merit isn’t a matter of all or nothing, and while ASDA has declared nothingness in store, at least there is something online, yet simply going to nothingness can’t be the answer. This is of course about minimum and maximum losses, assuming ASDA are making a loss on Nintendo products. It’s not about all or nothing, it’s about combined merit (Wii + Wii U).
    That’s my opinion anyway.

~Ed C

#17 12 months ago
  18. DaveDogg

well considering last month Asda dropped the price of the 32gb U by £100 and still couldn’t get shot of them http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/asda-cuts-wii-u-price-by-100-again/0118560 this is not unexpected it also says a lot about the wii u

#18 12 months ago
  19. Telepathic.Geometry

This bodes very badly. I’m sure that in a year or two, I’ll have enough reason to buy one, but it seems like Ninty is getting one kick in the teeth after another on the Wii U. :/

#19 12 months ago
  20. adja

DaveDogg thanks for the link. I can see that Asda have been having trouble with the Wii U, but the link you’ve provided is written in a certain way..

It doesn’t ACTUALLY say in the article that the Wii U units were dropped in price twice because they weren’t selling after the first price drop. It just says the price was dropped, so we assume that the units weren’t selling.
    But perhaps ASDA was trying to clear out stock quickly, thus reducing the price to get rid of the units quickly. Perhaps another £100 did the trick and made the units fly off the shelves even quicker, if their goal was to clear all stock. Makes sense really.

Anyway, Pikmin is at number 2 apparently, so that says the Wii U can sell software, and hopefully Wonderful 101 will do well too.

#20 12 months ago
  21. fearmonkey

I wanted to love the Wii-u, but the price of the unit, that it wasn’t much better looking to me than the current gen consoles, and that the launch titles were disappointing to me stoped me from getting one.

If I had kids I might have been more tempted. The funny thing is that none of my friends who have kids and owned a Wii bought a Wii-u or have intentions of buying one in the future. They are all more interested in Xbone and PS4. Those kids all love their 3DS and Ipads, but none of them want the Wii-u. I think Nintendo made some bad choices on the Wii-u, like the name, and that the Wii-u want really marketed right.

If Nintendo drops the price to $250 or lower I could see that helping sales, as I would be interested in one maybe if it drops to around $200.
    I can’t see it really doing all that well against the Xbone and PS4 this fall, unless those consoles have too little stock to go around.

#21 12 months ago
  22. paulvfinch

has anyone confirmed if Walmart in the US will stop selling the consoles and games as well?

Whatever you look at this its bad for Nintendo’s bottom line and for confidence in the product.

The tell will be if other retailers follow.

With the demise of large game retailers on the high street supermarket are sometimes the only physical retail alternative especially in rural areas.

#22 12 months ago
  23. FeaturePreacher

In the states Walmart is the biggest retailer. A ton of people buy games there, especially around the holidays.

#23 12 months ago
  24. Professor Zoom

Wii u is dead on arrival :)

#24 12 months ago
  25. sebastien rivas

How do you want to sell when the naming itself reppels. To remain polite, it evokes many things but gaming.
    Secondly, I heard many times of wii U but I thought was an expensive game pad for the wii when in reality it looks like it is a new wii with a cool looking game pad while the game console just looks like a wii.
    Would you be ready to spend 400 or 500 dolars for an xbox or a playstation that closely look like their respective elder generation?

It is my assumption that while Nintendo created its own niche, it also have a hard time finding marketting solutions.

Pikmin, what does that evoke to you?
    Some just think too hard at Nintendo, I tell you that!

#25 12 months ago
  26. CPC_RedDawn

This is only bad for Nintendo, the second biggest supermarket is giving up its shelf space for other things. I can see that other chains may follow suit as well as people save up to upgrade their PC’s, or buy a next gen console.

Pikmin 3 whilst I have heard nothing but good things about the game and I loved the first two titles as well I seriously don’t think its up their with their more well known and top franchises such as Mario, DK, Zelda, etc.

Nintendo at least are trying to bring exclusive titles to the Wii U such as Zombie U, W101, Beyonetta 2. But they need more, not having a version of GTAV will be a massive blow to them. Not having a new Metroid game out by years end and their increasing horrible online infrastructure, whilst it has improved, is still nowhere near on par with other consoles or PC.

They need to restructure and badly, next years E3 they will again be overwhelmed by the new consoles games, even the indie scene is getting more attention than they are. Heck people are talking more about PC games than the next Zelda or Metroid.

It frustrates me because I grew up with them, and I love their games. They just need to get them out a lot faster than they are doing. People can’t simply wait four years for the next big Mario, Zelda, or Metroid anymore. With how much money Nintendo have in the bank they are definitely not going anywhere anytime soon. But I don’t see why they don’t use some of that money to out source their franchises to more third parties. Using one of their most talented studios Retro to port over DKCR to the 3DS is just a bad move. Sure the game is fun and it adds to the 3DS’s library but their time could be better spent on the next Metroid. There are thousands of developers, programmers, artists, etc out of work with all the studios and companies going under. Form new ones and give them all the support they need. Keep their in house teams working on the massive hitters like Mario Galaxy 3, and the next Zelda and out source Pokemon, Metroid, Starfox, DK, F-Zero, Smash Bros, etc. Then build up new studios with the sole intent on letting them run wild and create brand new franchises. Open the platform up to indies even more than they have done.

And most of all sort out the terrible OS for the Wii U create a new online environment where people have a profile rather than friend codes tie things into social media and get more apps for the system as well.

Then start advertising, they could easily spare half a billion alone on advertising. Tell people about your new console rather than relying on your dwindling hardcore fans to do it for you.

I hate to say it but the sooner Iwata is gone the better, hes done great things at Nintendo but they need a new leader with a new vision to take them further and be on top once again where they belong.

#26 12 months ago
  27. Sini

Games won’t sell wii u, most people who are interested in smash, kart, zelda etc already own the system. Think back to gamecube, with its Metroid Prime, Resident Evil 4, Eternal Darkness and how poorly cube sold anyway.

#27 12 months ago