Vita can only be used as a PS4 controller if the game was “specifically programmed” for it

Saturday, 27th July 2013 19:20 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Just in case you thought otherwise, Vita cannot be used as a second controller with PS4 games unless they are “specifically programmed” to make use of the tech. This was confirmed by Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida on Twitter. According to Yoshida, it can’t be used as a second controller out of the box “in a normal” sense. “Unless a game is specifically programmed to allow such use of PS Vita,” he said. PS4 is due sometime in November.

1. MCTJim

Well well well more …guess I am not surprised at this tidbit..actually seems rather cliche

#1 1 year ago
  2. dizzygear

Seems rather obvious since the Vita does not have a L2, R2, L3 and R3.

#2 1 year ago
  3. MCTJim

Indeed

#3 1 year ago
  4. SlayerGT

Why would you want to use it as a controller if DS4 is so schweet?

@2 I’m curious my self to see how remote play will be handled without the buttons. I imagine some use of the back and front touch will used. Front screen left and right for L3 and R3, and left and right side back touch for L2 and R2?? Could work fine me thinks.

#4 1 year ago
  5. dizzygear

@4 If they retool the controls to take full advantage of the Vita’s unique input methods it could work very well. Think gyro aiming, touch screen controls, etc

It for using touch to simply replace the missing buttons, well it would work but it will be awkward. Already with most Vita games that support the rear touchpad to assign shortcuts (Blazblue for example) i turn it off because i keep hitting it by accident.

#5 1 year ago
  6. MegaGeek1

Good thing someone told me this, else my common sense wouldn’t have kicked in and I would have had no idea.

#6 1 year ago
  7. SlayerGT

I just hope, like I do with any game in general, the control schemes are completely customizable. Maybe the devs could set up a suggested default for remote playing, or you can remap at your leisure. I’m kind of excited to try it..even if I don’t intend to use it all that much.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Stephany Nunneley

@6 – :D :D

#8 1 year ago
  9. Jmc

Nice Try. Vita still supports remote play. Who cares about using it as a controller. Don’t mix the two.

This is the amazing part: REMOTE PLAY and it is supported.

Can’t wait to start remote play on my Vita and PS4.

Playing PS4 games remotely on the Vita, oh yes, it is supported.

Here is the part of the tweets that you left out:

Shuhei Yoshida on Twitter: “Of course when Remote Playing, your PS Vita is the controller.”

#9 1 year ago
  10. Ownsin

@9 /Facepalm…

#10 1 year ago
  11. Jmc

@10 You’re right to facepalm, PS4 pre orders may be twice that of xb1 and Vita will be able to remote play PS4 game.

Pimp smack….

#11 1 year ago
  12. Maguire82

Didn’t Sony say that remote play was mandatory for all games?? If so this U turn sucks and is another major fail for the Vita.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Lengendaryboss

Not really:

“Yes, it’s true unless the game requires specific hardware like the camera,” Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida wrote on Twitter in response to a question from a follower. “It will be great to play PS4 games on PS Vita.”

#13 1 year ago
  14. wishmylove

I love my PS Vita!

#14 1 year ago
  15. Memetix

I think there’s confusion about the terms ‘second controller’ and ‘remote play’. Second controller speaks to the ability of doing extra things (e.g. inventory management) on the Vita whilst still using the primary controller.

During remote play the Vita is the primary controller. Using the Vita as a secondary controller (not remote play) would of course need special programming consideration. Remote play on the other hand has been very much integrated into the PS4/Vita “circle of life” ;) .

#15 1 year ago
  16. MrWaffles

Didn’t they specifically say a few weeks ago that it “just worked” and devs didn’t have to lift a finger??

Did they just realize the vita was missing some buttons a say “whoops, my bad guys! turns out you can’t”…

If I wasn’t as lazy I’d be looking for that article.

#16 1 year ago