Mirror’s Edge reboot announce took so long due to working out “stunning” next-gen concept

Friday, 26th July 2013 12:04 GMT By Dave Cook

Mirror’s Edge got a reboot announcement at E3 last month after years of fans asking what DICE was planning to do with the IP. EA Game’s executive vice president Patrick Söderlund has shed new light on the matter in an interview.

Speaking with GameReactor, Söderlund explained, “It’s taken this long because we wanted to get to the right concept and the right idea. And Sara Jansson who is producer on it, when she pitched her idea to me and Karl-Magnus, the GM for DICE, I was frankly blown away. I’m like “Finally, you’ve got it!”

“And when you hear something like that… She pitched an idea that frankly could only be built on gen 4, is a stunning concept, and when she came to us we knew we had it. And yes, we’ve been testing ideas and we’ve been prototyping stuff, and I’m glad that we waited to get the right idea.”

EA’s Frank Gibeau has also said that next-gen tech will really help take Mirrors Edge to the next level. Find out what he means here.

Thanks GAF.

1. Hvitdverg

Over the hedge, with Mirrors Edge

#1 9 months ago
  2. Dave Cook

@1 that made me actually laugh out loud for some reason. Kudos.

#2 9 months ago
  3. pcbros

I wonder if they will add Kinect support… Run, slowly jog, jump, squat/duck, and punch!

And depending on how fast you are, you can get better clear times. It would be a nice concept with health benefits :)

#3 9 months ago
  4. foofly

So their ““stunning” next-gen concept” is to remake the game that already exists?

#4 9 months ago
  5. foofly

Also, not sure how this will run on the fourth generation

#5 9 months ago
  6. Dave Cook

@4 Have you played it yet?

#6 9 months ago
  7. foofly

Dave, wasn’t that what they said at the announcement? That it was a remake of the first game or am I going insane?

#7 9 months ago
  8. Dave Cook

@7 Nah man :D It’s a reboot, proper full reboot. Keep the faith. My guess is it’ll be open world.

#8 9 months ago
  9. KineticCalvaria

@8, wasn’t it already announced to be open world?

Can’t wait for this anyway, freaking loved the first one.

#9 9 months ago
  10. Edo

@3 Don’t give them any ideas…

#10 9 months ago
  11. stretch215

Hey backup! MAG was a turd. I’m just saying. Have a nice day!

#11 9 months ago
  12. MCTJim

@12 that was being nice…I have other words for how MAG was.

#12 9 months ago
  13. Lengendaryboss

Players do not determine quality: have a nice day troll :)

#13 9 months ago
  14. sh4dow

Just stumbled across this nice quote from the other article…
    “Despite the game’s sales figures”

Really, Dave? 2.5 million and “despite”? I sure hope that was an indirect quote of people at EA and not how you feel ;)

As for THIS article…
    What the hell is all of that even supposed to mean? Does he not want to say anything about the actual concept or does he believe that this is telling anybody anything already?
    What WAS that “right concept”?! Was it the open-world approach? Why? Was it the reboot approach? Why?

I guess there’s really not much use reading anything about Mirror’s Edge until late 2014, is there?

#14 9 months ago
  15. Un-HolyMOTHERofGOD

Have a nice day troll. Everyone is so friendly today! Now someone wish me a nice day.

#15 9 months ago
  16. Lengendaryboss

Have a nice day ;)

#16 9 months ago
  17. KineticCalvaria

@19, aren’t the servers for MAG being turned off? Clearly not that great is it? :), Have fun playing MAG after January :D.

#17 9 months ago
  18. KineticCalvaria

@22, Game that can be played >>>>>>>> one that can’t :)

#18 9 months ago
  19. KineticCalvaria

@24, what a great comeback! You’re probably the worst troll I’ve ever seen, I didn’t realise it was possible to fail at being a troll… :D

Hilarious!!!

Edit: and now it looks like I’m talking to myself, but thanks higher powers!

#19 9 months ago
  20. xxJPRACERxx

@5 I agree with you about the generation stuff, but some people are counting generation from the launch of the 3d consoles (PS1/N64).

So counting from this we’re in the 3rd gen now (PS3/360) and 4th gen is next-gen (PS4/X1).

But you’re right, consoles existed before PS1!

edit: Damn, I’ve just miss backup BS!

#20 9 months ago