Assassin’s Creed 4: Ubisoft has “put effort” into improved stealth

Friday, 26th July 2013 02:10 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag director Ashraf Ismail is keen to address “concerns” over stealth mechanics in Assassin’s Creed 3.

Stealth is “one of the biggest things” Ubisoft has worked on “to address people’s concerns,” Ismail told OPM.

“People loved the naval [combat], people really enjoyed the fight, but we knew that the stealth element was something that we needed to push,” he said.

Ubisoft has therefore “put effort into the system to make stealth really viable gameplay”.

“If you really wish to play the game completely in stealth then you can,” Ismail said.

One of the ways Ubisoft has tweaked the stealth system since the poolry-received Assassin’s Creed 3 is to make the rules simpler and easier to understand – especially detection, escaping detection, and sneaking.

“All this stuff has been really simplified and made much more intuitive. The feedback itself has also been improved, so now we really focus on what the player needs to know,” Ismail said, noting that these changes have been made in response to feedback.

Edwards has been given a range of new stealth tools, too; you can see the blowgun in action in a recent gameplay video.

“Having tools that work in range, having tools that work in close combat, but have a stealth element to them,” Ismail said.

“I think Assassin’s Creed 3 was really a great game, it had its faults for sure, but there was a lot of people that truly loved the game. I think there are some elements that we are pushing in AC4, for example stealth being one of them, that we are making sure that we are really paying attention to what people have to say.”

Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag hits PlayStation 3, Wii U and Xbox 360 at the end of October, with PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions to follow.

1. Silent Killer01

None of the Assassin creed games really felt like stealth games to me.

#1 12 months ago
  2. Stardog

If these games don’t improve their stealth systems, they’ll feel old pretty fast. Bioshock: Infinite is the best example. It’s one-note and not worth playing. Dishonored put it to shame.

They need to become more sandboxy.

#2 12 months ago
  3. Animeboy413

@Stardog, how dare you insult Bioshock: Infinite like that

#3 12 months ago
  4. Animeboy413

Assassin’s Creed 4, will be my first PS4 game

#4 12 months ago
  5. TheWulf

Not only that but… well, I suppose I can’t expect them to acknowledge that the gameplay is horrible, can I?

Assassin’s Creed Gameplay:

- Hold butan to move.
    - Push butan sometimes to move moar.
    - Spam two butans to fight and always win.
    - Always only ever two butan!

The game pretty much plays itself. That is one of my major complaints when it comes to Assassin’s Creed. (Along with terrible writing, and bland aesthetics.)

#5 12 months ago
  6. Phoenixblight

It sells by the bucketloads and increases so by each iteration and why should Ubisoft change if it is increasing in sales?

BTW butan? Are you serious? Someone that claims to be intelligent and superior to everyone else says butan? Is that some type lingo?

You are comparing two completely different games to each other. One is about open gameplay where the player chooses how to interact in levels where Infinite has its narrative being the core. Dishonored didn’t have much of a story. Its game play was fun and open but it severely lacked on the narrative.

#6 12 months ago
  7. bradk825

I hope the UNsimplify the free-running. It was too dumbed down in AC3. The Ezio trilogy still remains the best in the series gameplay-wise. I also enjoyed the character of Ezio more than the others.

#7 12 months ago
  8. digits

@Bradk

So I beat the 3 numbered AC titles this week and I can honestly say I don’t see any simplification with the free-running in AC3. The free-running has been the same since AC1.

PC versions.

#8 12 months ago
  9. bradk825

I played on Xbox. In AC2 there were some extra controls, but in AC3 it was one-button free-running. Also in the third Ezio game there was the hookblade which allowed you to reach out with it to extend your jump a little, or use zip-lines. It was pretty cool.

#9 12 months ago
  10. Takeshi

Assassin’s Creed 5: Ubisoft has “put effort” into improved stealth

Assassin’s Creed 6: Ubisoft has “put effort” into improved combat

Assassin’s Creed 7: Ubisoft has “put effort” into improved repetitiveness

Ridiculous…

#10 12 months ago
  11. Kreion

One of the arguments I never understood about AC was when people complained about a simple free-running system. It seems like it’d be needless effort to have extra buttons on it when it’s mostly a system for getting around places.

But the same can’t really be said for the combat and stealth, which do need a bit more complexity imo. Though I haven’t played since brotherhood so I hope that 4 brings some new stuff to the table.

#11 12 months ago
  12. Lengendaryboss

Forgetting potential spins offs are we? ;)

#12 12 months ago