FEAR Online announced, is a free-to-play online multiplayer shooter

Thursday, 25th July 2013 16:45 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

FEAR Online has been announced as in development at Koean-based Inplay Interactive.

To be published on PC by Aeria Games, the free-to-play online multiplayer game is currently accepting beta applications.

“We are thrilled to present the next entry in one of the most popular horror franchises of the last decade,” said Tom Nichols, VP of PC Games, Aeria Games. “FEAR Online will bring back the tense, heart-pounding action that the series is known for and make it accessible to a huge online community of competitive players.”

The game will focus on several team combat modes spanning over ten maps filled with “still-twitching bodies hanging from meat hooks and messages smeared in blood.”

F.E.A.R. 3’s Soul King mode also makes a return, challenging players to “possess enemies for new abilities and collect more fallen souls than their opponents.”

The story also continues in cooperative scenarios detailing the occurrences surrounding the events of F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin.

Up to four players can team up against Armacham personnel and “hideous monsters lurking around every corner.”

A release date was not provided, but a teaser is posted below along with some screenshots, renders and art.

F.E.A.R. 3 developer Day 1 Studios was recently acquired by Wargaming.

1. JackThomas

Sigh. They’ve ruined the franchise.

#1 9 months ago
  2. fearmonkey

@1 – What the heck has happened to Monolith? They havent released a big game in a long time. Fear 3 was a decent game but it wasnt like Fear 2 or Fear, and making the series “Online” is a cash in.

#2 9 months ago
  3. Phoenixblight

Most of the members left and they have released Gotham Impostors and Guardians of Middle Earth.

#3 9 months ago
  4. CaptPierce

“Yeah, because being surrounded by four people with assault rifles, shotguns, pistols, grenades, rockets and lasers is totally tense and scary! The hair on the back of my neck stands up just thinking about it!”

*rolls eyes*

#4 9 months ago
  5. Blackened Halo

the franchise has been falling to a dump deeper and deeper since FEAR 2

#5 9 months ago
  6. TheWulf

I honestly think the only good FEAR game was the first one, since that was the only one that had decent AI. The latter two were hilariously bad in that department. Out of curiosity, I had a look on Wikipedia to see why this was, and apparently it’s because FEAR was the only one of the franchise that was developed on and for PC first.

I don’t know, but proper AI seems to only be a concern when developing for PC gamers, and I don’t know why that is. :I The same issues occurred with Mass Effect 3. The co-op for PC was very different than that on the consoles when I played it. The PC version was actually competent, but the console version had escort drones falling out of the level and walking into walls, it had enemies standing around doing nothing, and generally it was just a subpar experience.

I’m hoping that the next generation will at least have semi-decent AI, maybe then we’ll be ready for another good FEAR game. Perhaps the Monolith guys will get together to make one. But I can see why they’d be depressed about it if they felt limited by the hardware in regards to what they could do.

But yeah, the drop from FEAR 1 to FEAR 2 in regards to AI was hilarious. And if you don’t believe me, go back and play them both for yourself. I played the demo of FEAR 2 and the AI was just so bad that it put me off playing it.

I’m not saying this to be nasty, either. I genuinely miss good AI. I have stories to tell you about the Gothic games (as they were always testaments to incredible AI, far beyond anything Bethesda has ever done). The Gothic AI even had behaviours, even going so far as to code how cowardly a person was.

I miss that.

It might be just me, but I miss that.

And and and

Let me tell you about the animal AI in Gothic III.

See, in Gothic III, if you encountered a lone wolf, it would run back to its pack. If you encountered a pack of wolves, they’d stop and growl at you in order to get you to back off, and if you did they’d go back to what they were doing. You’d also see wolves hunting herbivores in the game, too, actually working as a pack.

It was something you just had to stop and watch because of how breathtakingly awesome it was. These animals were actually behaving like animals, and not rabid robots.

Compare and contrast to Bethesda, where every ‘animal’ is a homicidal robot with no self-preservation that runs and attacks you, ignoring every other prey opportunity nearby. That, in a Bethesda game, a wolf will ignore a dear to go after the guy in platemail who could one-shot it.

I miss good AI. :C

This is a topic I’d like to create on the forums, too, but I can’t for whatever reason. (The captcha seems to be missing.)

Another example of this is Champions Online, specifically VIPER. I love VIPER, I can’t tell you how much I love VIPER.

Brick-Busters: High defence, with a debuff that will cut your defence in half. These guys try and get between you and the troopers.

Troopers: Grunts. They hang back just behind the Brick-Busters.

Commanders: They hang at the very back of the crowd and yell out buffs whilst healing their front-liners.

Tar-Trappers: These are mid-liners, with the Troopers, they’ll only come in close to hit you with tar, which is an immobilisation debuff.

Engineers: These guys are mid-liners who’ll run in to drop a mine by you, their AI is designed to watch for when you’ve been debuffed by a Tar-Trapper or a Brick-Buster, that’s when they’ll spam you with mines. Once they’ve done that, they’ll pull back to mid-range and hit you with a mini-gun.

Ospreys: These are helicopters which patrol over VIPER regions, if they see you, they’ll start spamming air cavalry troops at you until either their reserves (yes, they have mob reserves) are gone or until the osprey is destroyed.

Armoured Units: These guys are heavy armour dudes, very melee focused. They’ll try and engage you at close range, attacking you with dual-chainsaws, rockets, and so on. They also have attacks designed to knock you down, and generally distract you.

Infiltrators: These guys will approach you stealthed, and you’ll only be able to see them if you have high intelligence. They’ll then engage you at melee range. If infiltrators are hidden within a group of other VIPER, they’ll strike with the Brick-Busters and Armoured Units to be a distraction.

One of the biggest joys of Champions Online is pulling a huge group of VIPER together and watching them work together. CO isn’t the hardest game ever, it’s not designed to be, you’re a super hero after all. But still, playing the Serpent Lantern adventure pack and just watching VIPER work together has been one of my joys.

Guild Wars was similar too, with melee mobs who’d try and flank you, and healers/buffers/debuffers who’d hang at the back ranks, with ranged characters taking the mid-range point.

I miss smart enemies.

I really, really miss smart enemies.

I hate bullet sponges, that’s a way to make an enemy ‘tough’ without making them smart. See Borderlands. But I miss enemies which are actually smart. I really do.

#6 9 months ago
  7. salarta

>New FEAR game

Yay! FEAR was fun, I also liked Jin a lot in the first game.

>Online

Huh? Oh, okay. Well, I guess I’ll give it a try and all, but

>Korean MMO developer

Okay? I… guess…

>BLONDE ENTERING COMBAT IN HOOKERWEAR

… okay.jpg

#7 9 months ago
  8. SplatteredHouse

“several team combat modes”…In FEAR? Why do I still imagine there will be a good new game in this series. Also, it looks like someone’s licensing the name. That doesn’t indicate to me, that the game: a) Started life as a FEAR game (“we need something to appeal to western gamers?”) b) is sure to be that focused on offering a FEAR-esque experience.

Maybe, it could be fun like Laser quest. It would be nice to find that this game delivers.
    This is trailer almost like a FEAR fairground ride (I was thinking ghost-train, but…There’s no evidence of spooks). Oh, look – that’s ALMA!

#8 9 months ago
  9. dizzygear

What the fuck? Is all i can say about this. Seriously what the fuck…

#9 9 months ago
  10. dexfx69

Monolith was once a great developer – got bought out, and now have been relegated by their owners to negligible status by being used only for online games. And ironically, their most well known franchise FEAR, being developed now as FEAR Online, is being developed by someone else, as was FEAR 3. A real shame.

#10 9 months ago
  11. DSB

It’s a shame they never managed to follow up the original FEAR. I wonder what the hell happened.

Their games were never high art, but you could pretty much rest assured that they’d be original enough to be worth checking out.

#11 9 months ago
  12. Metroid455

I don’t like using the word at all but for fuck sake are they serious?
    oh wow are developers out of touch with gamers, a series that was never about Multiplayer is now getting a multi-only entry? major fail on their part!! -__-

#12 9 months ago
  13. salarta

@12: And Silent Hill got one of those top-down four-person party games where characters are running around mowing down monsters with guns and the like.

Once a name is established, it’s taken as free license to just piss on the history and themes and whatnot for the sake of fitting whatever modern day gimmicks and trends are assumed to sell copies. This is sadly no different.

#13 9 months ago
  14. Metroid455

@13 sadly your spot on (..)

#14 9 months ago