Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 is MercurySteam ‘on its own’

Thursday, 25th July 2013 22:36 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Hideo Kojima isn’t onboard the sequel to Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, but MercurySteam is confident in its abilities.

Producer Dave Cox told OPM that Kojima wasn’t the primary creative involved with the first game, so his absence from the project this time shouldn’t be cause for alarm.

“We loved working with Mr Kojima, but he was onboard in an advisory capacity and I think we proved our abilities with the first Lords Of Shadow,” he said.

“This is us on our own, with a clear vision of where we want to take the story.”

Lords of Shadow 2 stars Dracula, but for mysterious reason surrounding his transportation to a modern-world setting, he’s lots all his powers. Players will be able to recover Dracula’s skillset by exploring the quasi open-world metropolis.

It’s expected in the fourth quarter on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, with PC as the lead platform.

1. Lengendaryboss

Ohhh so we don’t get 1hour long cutscenes and a convoluted story?

I’m so sad now ;)

#1 1 year ago
  2. YoungZer0

@1: Was the first one like that?

In any case, I don’t understand why he had a say in this at all, he never developed a Castlevania game to my knowledge.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Lengendaryboss

It was a joke: impling that Kojima magic influenced the first game. Which it didn’t.

MGS4. Shudders :)

#3 1 year ago
  4. Ali

Pretty sure it is a better game without him !

#4 1 year ago
  5. Telepathic.Geometry

Just finished 100% the first game there yesterday. Can’t wait to get stuck in to the second. ^-^ Fucking loved the story, and the gameplay, and… More or less everything about it. Even though a few of the trials were too finicky considering the lack of highly responsive controls.

/dances

#5 1 year ago
  6. macronia

can’t wait to play Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 1 on PC next month ;) and of-course Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 later this year :) , glad to see these type of games on PC , DMC was good , but i’m looking forward to this one as people praises its story and gameplay .

#6 1 year ago
  7. Sublimeone

@ Telepathic.Geometry – To each its own. I respect that.

The previous title was nothing but a sham from my experience.
    Kudos to Konami for pulling a fast one on me – using Kojima as a
    Marketing Ploy – only to find out, he was nothing more than a consultant.

Lots of cons against the pros.

Secret objects are hidden beyond the main view (far reaches of the wall). If anyone managed to find them all, most likely he/she was using Wolfenstein 3D skills (hugging against every inch of the wall to find the moveable wall) How the hell is that a good gaming design/concept in this day and age? Map – useless, no reason to back track/play previous stages. And the final insult to injury – the hints on hidden objects (Can not open chest till you have acquired ***skill/enhancement, come back when you have upgraded) WOW!!

What the hell happened to the days of spending about 3-5+ minutes practicing that road runner thrust move (run, jump, jump skill – I can get there) till it finally hits you, maybe its metroid styled and you will have to come back.

In todays titles, you approach a platform/chest – BING!! – instant notification in your face. I dont know what to say.

Todays devs. are now so lazy and desperate, given from experience one cant help but noticed the titles of recent, have been dumbed down so far, you have to wonder, are they now marketing to toddlers? When everything is basically labelled, tagged, highlighted.

The one thing I enjoyed from the title was the brillant score by Oscar Araujo

#7 1 year ago
  8. Telepathic.Geometry

@Sublimeone: Yeah man, different horses for different courses. I found almost all of the hidden objects by myself on my first run-through. And I quite like that they play with the fixed camera to hide things. Knowing that is what helped me snag almost all of them. :)

For me the main problem was when the camera-viewpoint suddenly changed in the middle of a difficult jump or something. Also, all of the buttons are just a little laggy for my tastes. Still, the story, the music, the artwork and the general gameplay all came together beautifully for me.

Interestingly, I’m not a fan of the old Castlevania games at all. Maybe that’s where our difference in opinion was born… Hmm.

#8 1 year ago