Xbox One: white dev kit photo posted online

Wednesday, 24th July 2013 13:21 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One’s latest dev kits come in pearly white flavour, as shown in a new photo of the hardware posted online.

Neowin posted the image of the new dev kit and added that aside from the different power icon it looks very close to the final retail model.

The image was posted by a developer on Reddit, along with the following chat:

“The zebra ones were also earlier devkits. We’ve gone though several revisions since the original alpha kit (giant server case) and the current one we have looks like the launch version.”

By the “zebra ones” the developer means the older Xbox One dev kit models that came in black and white.

So the question now is; would you prefer a white Xbox One or black at launch? Can you see Microsoft giving us a choice in the matter? Let us know below.

Thanks CVG.

1. DGOJG

*A single party popper pops*

#1 1 year ago
  2. MCTJim

ah..no white shows the dust to easily :P

but again..black shows fingerprints…decisions decisions :lol:

#2 1 year ago
  3. bradk825

@2 Go with floresent green. It’ll be a conversation piece.

#3 1 year ago
  4. viralshag

I think that looks rather sexy. I would like to get that one but it wouldn’t match the rest of my hardware.

#4 1 year ago
  5. JavelinX

Man that FUCKING KINECT!! I hate it!
    It’s like a Nerd trophy on your tv, everytime you have to explain what it does to people and when they discover it is for videogames, you feel bad inside.
    Why it has to be mandatory?

I want this white one…

#5 1 year ago
  6. TheLastDodo

Looks like a portable heater.

#6 1 year ago
  7. wildBoar

I want the white PS4 with the white controller. NOW THAT IS SEXY! Seriously hope we’ll get some colours this gen, or maybe different colours on the PS4′s neon strip. Oh man..

There was that red wii, but.. That was the flippin WII. Come on Sony!

#7 1 year ago
  8. bradk825

Are you ok?

#8 1 year ago
  9. Blue Oni

No as long as it has kinect i don’t want either color version anywhere near my living room.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Lv01

@5 hahahahahaha! loved that!

#10 1 year ago
  11. JavelinX

@8 no man no… I’m not ok, simply I don’t want a japanese vg industry ever again. No ps4, just drop the always connected kinect deal, and everything will shine.

#11 1 year ago
  12. melonbuster1

I’m sure they will have many colors. . Or themes.like halo or gears or titanfall , Forza5 maybe

#12 1 year ago
  13. MrWaffles

That awkward moment when the final console is just as big as the dev kit…

#13 1 year ago
  14. Irani

Xbox One > PS4

#14 1 year ago
  15. Rikki

Man that white one looks awesome!

#15 1 year ago
  16. G1GAHURTZ

Can I have a piano black one with chrome accents, a glass front, and subtle glittery bits on the top?

#16 1 year ago
  17. Abberjam

@14 Correct. Twice as big. Twice as heavy. Bigger pricetag. But 30% less powerful :’(

#17 1 year ago
  18. JavelinX

@17 Neogaf bullshit!
    You’ll see by yourself when developers will start saying that programming on Ps4 is simply bad, when indies will start to release on X1 only and so on. These are PC-consoles not customhardware like X360 or PS3. That hardware on PS4 is wasted on freebsd. Saying X1<PS4 it's like saying Windows<FREEBSD which is hilarious.
    However ask Capcom.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Phoenixblight

“You’ll see by yourself when developers will start saying that programming on Ps4 is simply bad, when indies will start to release on X1 only and so on. ”

What imaginary world do you live in? You can already gauge what development on the system is like just based on going to Gamasutra and other professional game industry sites. There is more praise for the PS4 than there is for the Xbox One.

#19 1 year ago
  20. JavelinX

@19 WHAT? I can see dozens of exclusives on X1 and none on PS4. Just money from M$? Nah…
    Hope for good ports.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Phoenixblight

They are timed exclusives. MS has money for retainer to use for buying time exclusives just like last gen. Every game that is coming from triple A pubs will be out on the PS4.

They practically have no indie support right now and MS is attempting to play catch up to what SOny has already set up.

#21 1 year ago
  22. loci

Kinect detects JavelinX has frowny face. Selects Antidepressants as his targeted advertisement.

#22 1 year ago
  23. MidlifeAxe

@22 Anti-troll pills, maybe?

#23 1 year ago
  24. Joe Musashi

As much as I admire both, if I’m going to gauge developer feedback and perspective Gamasutra trumps NeoGaf every time.

Also: lol

JM

#24 1 year ago
  25. JavelinX

@21 Time exclusives? Like Alan Wake, Witcher 2, Dead Rising, Gears of War, etc yeah… take your COD :P
    Indie support is just temporary.Write on C it’s just easy compared to fbsd.
    Again ask Phil Fish how good is to program on PS3!

#25 1 year ago
  26. MidlifeAxe

@25 Thought we were referring to the PS4, not the PS3? We all know it was difficult to program for the PS3.

#26 1 year ago
  27. JavelinX

@26 PS3 goes on fbsd. Got it?

#27 1 year ago
  28. Ge0force

@25 I’ve played every one of those “x360 exclusives” on pc ^^

#28 1 year ago
  29. JavelinX

@28 yeah I know! Windows is GOOD! I love sony fanboys

#29 1 year ago
  30. Phoenixblight

So you gauge next gen based on last gen….Yay fanboyism. THe PS4 is completely different and the development for it is night and day compared to the PS3. As I said professional game sites tell a completely different story than the one you are trying to sell.

#30 1 year ago
  31. Lengendaryboss

Titanfall? Timed Exclusive
    Dead Rising? A long timed exclusive.

Alan Wake?

Gears Of War? That could come to PlayStation .

Too be honest its a truckload of pay checks that MS drops off to third party partners.

Mass Effect?

#31 1 year ago
  32. pandulce1

@#25 JavelinX
    Are we in 2005? By the way, you’re completely delusional. Regardless of which console comes out on top when all is said and done, your arguments are ridiculous.

#32 1 year ago
  33. JavelinX

@31 “Gears Of War? That could come to PlayStation .”
    The man itself!
    Keep waiting on DR!
    However enjoy your Poketurismo 5 exclusive
    @32 I’m sad that Microsoft force me on Kinect that’s all.

#33 1 year ago
  34. Lengendaryboss

Big difference between something said in 2011 (my link) and 2013 (your link). One was a joke and the other is serious.

Why U No Wise Up? ;)

#34 1 year ago
  35. JavelinX

@34 “Could Gears Of War End Up On PS3?”
    Serious?
    @32 My argument are ridicolus? Man i just said that Window is way more flexible, useful and powerful than FBSD. I’m not repeating that PS4 has 8Gb of Ram.

#35 1 year ago
  36. Lengendaryboss

“Do we wish we could take all those Killzone and Resistance fans on PS3, and get them to say ‘Gears is awesome’? Yeah, sure, I’d love to ship the Gears trilogy on PlayStation. That would be fun. I want to be there; I want to be everywhere.”

“Time and time again, when it came down to figure out what we do next with Gears, we sat down with Microsoft and they’ve given us really good, compelling reasons to work with them again.”

Why U No Read? :)

#36 1 year ago
  37. JavelinX

@36 i don’t get what’s the problem?

#37 1 year ago
  38. Lengendaryboss

“Time exclusives? Like Alan Wake, Witcher 2, Dead Rising, Gears of War, etc yeah… take your COD”

Nothing in particular and if you can’t see it then fine.

End Of Discussion.

#38 1 year ago
  39. JavelinX

@38 Ok this is offtopic :D .I don’t want to offend you but try some of them on Pc. They are good games. At least Witcher 2, is awesome.

#39 1 year ago
  40. wildBoar

You’ve got the right idea Boss, full exclusivity? That was already stupidly expensive LAST gen.

It really displays their lack of commitment as well. Buy a few (secretely) timed exclusives for launch, then drop everything on third party support.
    It’s exactly what they did with the 360 and they own less devs now than ever!
    Sony huge 1st party.
    Ninty big 1st party.
    MS – obligatory exclusives rented for launching the console.

#40 1 year ago
  41. Lengendaryboss

Apparently they have 23 studios, the majority of them seem to be centred towards Kinect or Kinect Exclusive. But yeah any third party exclusive doesn’t last long (especially if its a big hit): i could list examples but we all familiar with them by now. Stick with your First/Second party studios and thats a permanent (if not owned) exclusive.

I’m not sure how thats offensive, i’m aware of their quality and popularity.

#41 1 year ago
  42. JavelinX

@40 The only exclusive Microsoft bought was Halo from Bungie. Hard to believe!
    CDproject did Witcher for 360 because of Windows. Capcom did all those exclusives because X360 is easy to program and in the beginning of a new generation that is a good point to start. Epic is a different story, they designed the console along with M$. Remedy did Alan wake for the same reason of cdproject, Square did FFXI so on. Even Bayonetta is better on X360.

Money are money and when you have two blocks USA and Europe, one on Ps3 and one on 360, if you want to make a lot of money you have to program on both. What Microsoft has to do?

The Last of us is a great game, but honestly i don’t see this huge Sony first party partnership nor exclusivity. Right now it’s clear that all the good games of this and next generation must run on M$ hardware, because of these two blocks and because of Windows. Insomniac bought itself from Sony because of these two reasons, and MGSV will be on M$ as well.

I wish Sony does more than simply waiting…

#42 1 year ago
  43. pandulce1

@ JavelinX
    I’m convinced that you don’t realize how funny you are.

#43 1 year ago
  44. wildBoar

@42 if it hadn’t been for those wildly inaccurate things you said earlier I might’ve placed more faith in your opinion. @41 In my mind I had dismissed the Kinect devs for some reason. Ah wotevs I’m tired.

Platinum admitted they fucked up Bayonetta on PS3, they were actually really ashamed of that. On another note, Rising is far superior on PS3. Didn’t think to mention that did you?
    Also I’m pretty sure Insomniac couldn’t have bought themselves out as Sony never bought them…

And PS3 has a fuckton more exclusives than 360 that’s an objective fact. While we all have our biases we at least try to base our assumptions on facts, please stop being such a massive fanboy and try to actually contribute to the conversation.

#44 1 year ago
  45. VibraniumSpork

A white XB1? http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/002/135/sw50sw8sw578.gif

#45 1 year ago
  46. airsick7

I find it funny when MS fanboys begrudgingly admit that Last of Us is a good game, but somehow posit that it’s the only worthwhile exclusive on PS.

I won’t bother listing all the franchises… we all know them. And if I did, some MS troll would come along and try to take a crap on each one of them. But anyone paying attention knows the truth: Sony creates a great, unique library of exclusives, while MS mostly “rents” 3rd party exclusivity.

#46 1 year ago
  47. xxJPRACERxx

The only things we know for sure is the PS4 is easier to develop for than the PS3 and it’s easier for indies to publish on it compared to X1, but MS is changing it’s stance on indies.

We have no reports from big devs/publishers if the PS4 is easier to develop for than the X1 and I would be really surprised if it is, considering MS is really king in dev tools.

#47 1 year ago
  48. Kreion

Of course the PS3 has good games, I mean it wouldn’t see otherwise would it xD I’m not so blind that I can’t see merit in games like Last of Us, Infamous or Uncharted. But that doesn’t mean that I really want to buy the system just to play those games, but then again I could say the same for the Xbox. The only series I care for on that is Halo and it’s pointless going into why here. The PS4 will also have 1886 (I think) which looks interesting but again not enough to make me get that over an Xbox.

But your argument falls down when you start praising Sony for creating games…because it really doesn’t matter. Microsoft has enough money to have games created for them and will always have that over Sony, which is why Sony creates more games (or at least publishes more) in house. Neither method is inherently better than the other so it’s pointless to try and hold that as some sort of trump card. And even more importantly, most people don’t care who made the game as long as it is amazing and exclusive. I don’t particularly mind if Microsoft has an actual hand in the creative process if the games good, there’s merit in throwing money at the right things after all :p

Tl;dr
    You had a point, but then destroyed your credibility with your own fanboyism.

#48 1 year ago