Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 director discusses next project

Monday, 22nd July 2013 16:59 GMT By Dave Cook

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 producer Dave Cox has discussed the lessons Mercury Steam learned while developing the series and how it must apply that to make its next game better. He also stressed that the Spanish studio will not make another Castlevania title, but hopes to get a younger team involved with fresh ideas.

Gamespot reports that during a Comic-Con roundtable interview, Cox said of whatever Mercury Steams next project is, “We have to really plan differently and do things differently. And we’ve made mistakes on this one, as well, which we’re going to hopefully improve for the next one. I think it’s a learning process and I think game developers are learning every day how to do things better.”

Confirming that Mercrury Steam is moving away from Castlevania after Lords of Shadow 2 is done and dusted, Cox continued, “I think if you’ve got something to say, you should just say it, and when you’re done, just shut up. And we’ve got something to say.

“And once it’s out there…I think it’s time for somebody else; somebody younger, a younger producer to come in and take up the mantle and do what they think would be right for Castlevania and for us to move on to something else.”

He concluded, “I think Castlevania is a series that has evolved over the 26 years to what it is today and I think it’s in good shape right now and I think people will really enjoy the last one. There’s a lot of surprises and I think we’re going to deliver something unexpected.”

Who would you like to see take over the Castlevania series after Lords of Shadow 2 launches? Let us know below.

1. KineticCalvaria

Let the milking begin.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Dave Cook

@1 Begin? You do know how many Castlevania games there are already right? ;)

#2 1 year ago
  3. KineticCalvaria

Okay :P, the ’21st century’ milking of the LoS era.

I can just see the teets being milked as I type.

On a side note, thanks Dave, did not realise how many there actually were! Thats a freaking long list.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Dark

I can see konami working with PG for a new castlevania game :P

#4 1 year ago
  5. SameeR_Fisher

@4: oh please NO, no, no, no, no, no.

Anyone but Platinum Games, I will never buy a game 6:8hrs long with bad story.

#5 1 year ago
  6. KAP

If Platinum Games made the next Castlevania, I’d just die now. It’ll be incredible!

#6 1 year ago
  7. hives

So… They are saying “we’re going to hopefully improve for the next one”, but they are not doing next one? I think it’s just wrong :f “Next one” means LoS2, that’s all. There’s no next one, he’s definitely not talking about other games than LoS1 and Los2.

#7 1 year ago
  8. dotfaust

They should just get Fromsoft to take the franchise… and bring back IGA for the handhelds!!!!

#8 1 year ago
  9. zoopdeloop

Good move.They need to evolve,go to something else and not milk it.They did a great job with LoS even though they borrowed from other franchises like the generic GoW.LoS was much more interesting and fun.Can’t wait for the second

#9 1 year ago
  10. fihar

You guys should seriously stop slapping PG’s name into every single third person action adventure title out there.

Honestly, I have absolutely no idea who should take over the series. I personally think that LoS’ strength lies mostly in it’s art direction and the general feel of the game.
    Before LoS, I would never put Mercury Steam’s name for consideration but they turn out to be more than capable. I’d like to see Konami try to surprise me once more.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Gheritt White

I sincerely hope Konami give MercurySteam the Contra series to overhaul next.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Armitage Shanks

@11 i think Dave Cox of Mercurysteam said before that he would love to work on Contra as he feels that they are done with Castlevania after LOS 2.

#12 1 year ago
  13. seraphgeneral

Well I’ll be honest Platinum Games ,Square Enix or God Of War’s Ready At Dawn would be great for 3d titles but lets not forget JAPAN is Castlevania’s original creator so treally and truly they should be the ones to develop a next gen Castlevania. If Japan would get off their asses and stop designing weird emo looking characters and wacked out dialogue that goes to hell in the English translation they would be great. My real intentions are to get another EPIC 2D title from Castlevania and I know the perfect studio to do it. RED ARC STUDIO!!!!

#13 11 months ago