Dead Rising 3 moved to Xbox One after pushing 360 to limit

Saturday, 20th July 2013 18:19 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Dead Rising 3 was originally intended for release on Xbox 360, according to Capcom Vancouver, but the team moved it over to Xbox One after pushing the 360 hardware beyond its limits.

Speaking with Siliconera, producer Mike Jones said while developing it on PC, the team realized due to the shear number of zombies, the streaming options it wanted to do, and the memory budgets for the number of environments and items – it was all just basically “breaking the bank” on Xbox 360.

Considering the game is “exponentially larger,” than any other Dead Rising game, it’s no surprise: Jones said Dead Rising and Dead Rising 2 could fit into the world of the third outing “multiple times over.”

“Our tech team partnered with Microsoft to get early specs and figure out how we were going to get it on new hardware,” said Jones. “The biggest things for us have been the size of the world, the density of the world, the streaming spaghetti of getting everything working with no load zones and seamlessly streaming.

“Also, how we build missions in a much larger world like that – how we send you to different districts and how we get you to explore all of these nooks and crannies in the environment. The world building tools, mission scripting tools, and the updates we had to make to our engine, a proprietary engine called the Forge engine we built at Capcom Vancouver, have been the large developer obstacles over the last few years.”

Jones said the tech teams at Capcom Vancouver and Microsoft have been working together to help each other optimize the game.

“They visit us every week. We go down there every other week. We’ve been essentially merged together,” Jones said. “They have done custom work with multi-threading for us. All of the Kinect things, we’re making a game for hardware that isn’t finished that we’re all trying to launch together on day one.

“Basically, we’ve been in lock step with them.”

Dead Rising 3 is an Xbox One exclusive and will contain cameo characters from previous games in the series.

Watch the Comic-Con 2013 demo for the game below.

Dead Rising 3 Demo at San Diego Comic Con 2013 by All-Games-Beta

1. Lengendaryboss

#1 1 year ago
  2. machy

@1 that sums it all

#2 1 year ago
  3. KAP

….sigh

#3 1 year ago
  4. Ireland Michael

Blah blah blah. Hardware is more adaptable and scalable than its ever been. Dead Rising has never been any sort of technically taxing game.

There’s absolutely nothing stopping it appearing on the PS3 either. It’s a paid exclusive. That’s it. Stop treating your consumers like they’re fucking idiots.

#4 1 year ago
  5. SlayerGT

@4 +1

Same goes for TitanFall.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Stephany Nunneley

I forgot to add the Comic-Con demo in there earlier – it’s in there now via AGB.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Cobra951

Translation: It’s easier to require more hardware muscle than to optimize properly. PC devs have been doing this forever. No surprise, really.

#7 1 year ago
  8. bamn66

Xbox won

#8 1 year ago
  9. KoojoPanda

Yet another game that Microsoft spends millions to make exclusive for their console, just to keep it from Sony for a time. Just like Titanfall. Imagine if MS never wrote that check to make GTA no longer exclusive to Sony. Microsoft are absolute scumbags.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Major Mayhem 70

Exclusives, whether permanent or time released is a tactic that both systems have used to gain advantage over its competitor for years. Buy both consoles if you can and exclusives will be a thing of the past. I’ve enjoyed GoW and GoW (Gears of War and God of War) 😜

#10 1 year ago
  11. Animeboy413

I Hate Family Guy

#11 1 year ago
  12. Animeboy413

I Love Ireland Michael

#12 1 year ago
  13. Animeboy413

I Love Zombie Madness

#13 1 year ago
  14. Eon

Looking good. Wasn’t intending on getting this at launch, but I’ll keep an eye on it.

#14 1 year ago
  15. DeyDoDoughDontDeyDough

And yet it still looks like an Xbox 360 game.

#15 1 year ago
  16. JimFear-666

i hate this marketing/pr bullshit. I hope no one will fall for this crap. They never tried to do this game on 360… Capcom will never push the limit of a console, even the xbox360.

#16 1 year ago
  17. ninjanutta

This and the bungie game are the only reason i can see a reason to want an xb 1 so far,im still far more interested in ps4 though,also i reckon this will get a pc release so im not really too bothered anyway as my 2 year old gaming rig is still at least or more powerful than the next gen consoles..

#17 1 year ago
  18. OlderGamer

I am sure there are dedicated DR fans, but for most folks, I would imagine that this is a game that if it where on current gen systems, they would wait for a price drop. Then, maybe buy it. If there was a lul in better games. However being a launch game for a new system it will get more attention then it otherwise would. Reminds me of ZombiU in that way.

Not that ZombiU and DR are anything alike gameplay wise. The Zombie tie in is purely coincidental here. But the my thinking is the same. Lets take PS4 and DriveClub. If DriveClub hits PS3 only it gets killed by the new NFS or GT6 or by a year old Grid2. But because it is a launch game it gets a pile more attention. I saw the videos. DriveClub looks subpar at best. Imo DR games have never been above a solid 6/10, maybe a weak 7/10.

I am pointing this out, because I feel the line ups for both consoles are weak as hell. The system seller games are either not hitting the launches or are also avilable on current gen systems including PC.

I am having one hell of a problem with this coming gen. Nothing grabs me and says “This is why you want a new system”. All most of the talk sounds like is some pr people trying to wind up a hype train. I suppose that is the crux of why there is PR people to begin with.

Anyways I guess I am going to go check out todays Steam summer sale offerings, maybe play some Civ V.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Kanok

@15 I have heard someone said the first Dead Rising look like an original Xbox game, and after that……….they’re turned 180 degree.

#19 1 year ago