Assassin’s Creed could eventually have a modern setting, but fans prefer its “historical tourism”

Saturday, 20th July 2013 20:15 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

The Assassin’s Creed franchise could eventually take place in the modern age, but according to lead writer Darby McDevitt, the franchise’s “historical tourism” is one of the main draws.

Speaking during a panel at Comic-Con, McDevitt said there’s always “a chance” for a modern setting, but if he had his way, Feudal Japan is one era he’d like to tick off the list.

“I think the Shogunate is in a cool era,” he said, but it’s not up to one person, and whatever we do, we’ll make it cool.”

Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag is the next game on the release slate and brings to life the era when pirates rules the Caribbean and eyeliner was apparently optional.

It’s out this fall.

Thanks, Gamespot.

1. Dark

Assassin’s Creed + modern setting = Watch Dogs.

#1 12 months ago
  2. hitnrun

Yeah, this encapsulates what makes the meta-story of Assassin’s Creed so awful. The writers don’t even know what they’re writing, but they insist on making you watch it.

#2 12 months ago
  3. TheWulf

Pretty much. And I winced when I read ‘historical tourism,’ since that echoes what I was saying about how they mix up trying to be historically accurate with having super powers.

And then you learned how to stealth via old nature magicks, and summon spirit wolves. WHICH IS TOTALLY SOMETHING NATIVE AMERICANS COULD DO, WE’RE NOT STEREOTYPING OR ANYTHING! YOU SHUT UP!

I guess that’s what irritates me. Assassin’s Creed insults my intelligence by not knowing what it is. It doesn’t know whether it’s HISTORICALLY ACCURATE, it doesn’t know whether it’s a game about super heroes, it doesn’t know whether it’s an espionage game set in present day, and the only thing it stays consistent on is that the gameplay must be the most insultingly easy two-button parkour we’ve seen in any game (it almost plays itself).

This is why I just have no interest in this franchise. It’s not a franchise that respects me as an intelligent person, so I don’t respect it.

#3 12 months ago
  4. MrWaffles

Assassin’s Creed
    Tactical Hoodie Action

#4 12 months ago
  5. Tearsir

I’m still waiting an ancient Egypt chapter.

#5 12 months ago
  6. vicrysty

I do not think modern setting is suitable for Assassin’s Creed. I think that should go to history, until the First World War included. Hope to see the next Assassin’s Creed in ancient Rome.

#6 12 months ago
  7. Kreion

Please don’t go to Japan AC. I know it sounds cool, but I have no doubt they’d use every possible generic and generally screw it up. Simply put – I don’t trust them.

Go do Victorian London or something – I’d like a gentleman assassin for once.

#7 12 months ago
  8. YoungZer0

@7: I’m with you on that. I can already imagine a rather young-ish assassins from a lower class background or maybe an oliver twist story, who was hired by the assassins because of his skills. An assassin in a rather improvised outfit, with parts that have been stitched and tucked together, that makes him look like bum.

Not a bum-bum, but a cool bum. You know, like Nomak from Blade 2.

And he should have a walking cane as his main weapon. The cane is actually a sword in sheath with some extra customizables.

And the plot would be about Jack The Ripper and how he’s not actually one man, but many and that those prostitutes he killed, were members of the guild.

Or something like that.

Either that or russian revolution.

I for one wouldn’t be against Japan either. Japanese developers seem to be completely unable to deliver a proper Ninja game.

#8 12 months ago
  9. bradk825

I’d love a setting with a struggle between Juno, the templars and the assassins in the post-Desmond days.

#9 12 months ago