Xbox One games can also be played during disc installation

Friday, 19th July 2013 08:36 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One games can be played while you’re installing them from your disc, Microsoft has confirmed.

It follows news that Xbox One titles can be played while they’re being downloaded. Microsoft has now confirmed to IGN that the same is true for disc-based titles.

A rep told the site, “Whether you are downloading a game digitally or from a disc, the game will be downloaded in segments. Once the required data –a fraction of the entire game – is on the hard drive, you can start playing while the rest of the title finishes downloading in the background.”

Playing during downloads and installation seems to be a common theme for both Xbox One and PS4, it’ll surely help those of us who are more impatient. Like me.

1. redwood

in b4 giga

#1 9 months ago
  2. gomersoul

this sounds good for xbox but do you need to fully install the games on xbox or ps4? I can soon see my 500gb filling up unless its partial install like ps3

#2 9 months ago
  3. KAP

Didnt the Last Of Us do this too? I was able to play the game after 50% install

#3 9 months ago
  4. Samoan Spider

Same goes for the PS3 on this issue, but it did bother me that to get the best loading times, you had to install most games, yet my single reason for owning consoles was to have a QUICK game. When in actual fact I had to make time for the administration that came first. This led to the odd situation where I could buy, download and play a brand new game quicker on Steam than I could install the disc(s) on my 360.
    However, this right here, is excellent news for people who have to squeeze gaming between family life. If I buy a game, I don’t like wasting the 15-20 mins at the start :)

#4 9 months ago
  5. MangoMantang

You know what, the PS4 doesn’t require installation and I can play from the second I pop the disc in. And I can also play while downloading my game digitally on PS4.

Microsoft got the more expensive console, they need to show us why we should pay £100 more.

#5 9 months ago
  6. bradk825

Not sure why they felt they had to confirm it, lol. They said this the day it was revealed.

#6 9 months ago
  7. Phoenixblight

PS4 will have installation with their games and it will do the same thing which is allowed to be played while its installing just like Last of US.

#7 9 months ago
  8. mightyhokie

It seems to me that the Xbox One can do everything the PS4 can, but the PS4 can’t do everything (or even half) the things the One can. One can play the same games as PS4 but also does all the Skype, TV, recording, Kinect, etc stuff that the PS4 can not do. It just seems to offer a whole lot more functionality.

Of course, if you just want to only play games then PS4 is just as good of an option, or if you want to play games only and prefer the controller and feel of the navigation, etc. It seems if you want more functionality you go with MS.

I’m a fan of both systems, not some mindless fanboy who would stop gaming if their favorite system ceased to be. I have a 360 AND a PS3. I prefer the 360 and will eventually get the One over the PS4 because I want all the functionality the One offers plus I prefer Xbox Live and the layout/navigation of MS. But to me as a consumer, paying an extra $100 for the Xbox One is a no brainer because if you have the system for 8 years like I have my 360, that is $12.50 per year for a LOT more stuff you can do.

#8 9 months ago
  9. Lengendaryboss

Kinect equal PS Move+Camera+PS Eye
    Recording equal Share Button
    TV equal unannounced but not the focus for PS4
    Skype is the only thing MS has and even then Sony can find an alternative.

#9 9 months ago
  10. bradk825

@9 Kinect > Move+Camera+eye.

#10 9 months ago
  11. Lengendaryboss

Thats not what i meant: @8 is saying the PS4 doesn’t offer it. So i did a short equal comparison.

I know Kinect is better than the above because MS keeps telling us and they clearly have the confidence to aspire that by bundling it..

#11 9 months ago
  12. bradk825

Oh gotcha. Cool then.

#12 9 months ago
  13. MrWaffles

Microsoft is just playing PR-catch-up.

“Hey guys, remember that thing Sony said last week? Well, we do that too, isn’t it awesome?! Guys?”

#13 9 months ago
  14. mightyhokie

Don’t you have to hold the Move? Does it work via voice commands? Sorry, not being an ass, I just don’t have the Move, Camera, etc.
    I’ve been really impressed with how Kinect understands my cuss words when I’m yelling at it that it doesn’t understand what Im saying. haha

I just think i saw a lot more stuff as far as contolling my TV, Cable, Stereo, etc. It just seemed like One can do a lot more for me, a 43 year old with a family, than the PS4. Everyone was super impressed by Sony’s presentation but I honestly thought it looked cheap and like 5 years behind the times graphically (sorry, im a graphic artist and cant help but notice), the presenters were super boring, and while the games looked great they were pretty much all the same ones MS plays. The only part that had bang was the announcement that Sony will let you play used and borrowed games, which if anyone had read MS’s policy statement (that dumb ass MS should have explained) both companies were really pretty much on the same footing there. I love the cloud stuff that Sony doesn’t offer and see great potential in that.

Maybe its just perception but I def walked away (okay, sat..i was on my couch) with One being more attractive to me. I was impressed with the PS4 but didn’t really see anything that MS didn’t have, and saw things I didn’t see with Sony.

#14 9 months ago
  15. Lengendaryboss

Be that as it may you said Sony doesn’t offer it (we are not talking about which is inferior).

They offer it full stop.

#15 9 months ago
  16. lexph3re

@14 ” I love the cloud stuff that Sony doesn’t offer and see great potential in that”

Confused about this statement, what exactly is MS offering that Sony isn’t with their Cloud? And, What is the assumption that the cloud doesn’t or couldn’t work the exact same way as Azure?

#16 9 months ago
  17. Lengendaryboss

@Lex
    I really think both companies should reveal their features (with a video this will most likely happen it a some point), so people uniformed can stop saying one doesn’t offer the other. MS has games just like Sony has the power of the cloud.

#17 9 months ago
  18. lexph3re

That’s something I have been seeing a lot of is the assumption that one cloud can do this over the other.

#18 9 months ago
  19. mightyhokie

All,
    I agree. Sony should tout their cloud capabilities just as MS should have touted their pre-owned games policies. As far as I can tell MS plans on using the cloud to make process and computing faster and better for the hardware. Certainly Sony has the same plans.

As a gamer I hope they both sell well and advance the greatest form of entertainment on earth. All the creativity is in games, hundreds of millions of people play them, yet somehow its still ‘underground’. I agree with Cliff Blezinski…an author sells 200k books and hes on nightly talk shows. Ken Levine creates one of the greatest works of art in modern times that sells 5+ million copies at $60 a pop and no one but hardcore gamers know his name.

Anyway, great discussion. So nice to not be overrun by mindless fanboys for a change (either side).

#19 9 months ago
  20. Silent Killer01

500GB hard drive 50GB bluray games = 10 games ?

#20 9 months ago