WildStar’s last two races revealed through video, screenshots

Friday, 19th July 2013 20:29 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

WildStar, the MMO in the works at Carbine Studios, has had its two final races revealed through a set of screenshots, character renders and a new video.

The Chua are mechanically inclined and like building machines. They seem a bit cuckoo, but they may just be high strung considering they are small and look a bit like a raccoon/rabbit/mouse hybrid thingy.

Then there’s the Mordesh – think elves in space – who aren’t the most social of races. Years ago they were struck by a disease, and now their body parts are held together thanks to engineering feats, and they make use of a vaccine created to suppress and control the “Contagion” ravaging their bodies.

You can check out the video and screenshots below, and glean more information in these races, as well as the others through the official website.

Wildstar is expected later this year on PC.

1. Stephany Nunneley

Christ, that took ages. There are some in there, but I have another couple shots going in once my system decides to finish downloading this massive zip file.

#1 12 months ago
  2. jevonski

this game is looking more interesting with each video.

#2 12 months ago
  3. DSB

Jesus, that settles it, I’m going Dominion. The Exiles are officially gonna be a bunch of creepy fucking furries.

I was thinking I might have fun as one of those rock dudes, but maybe I’ll go for the borg-elves instead.

#3 12 months ago
  4. Sylrissa

The dominion gets a race of Ziggs?!, I’m sold on joining them now.

#4 12 months ago
  5. Phoenixblight

The other way around.

#5 12 months ago
  6. DSB

@5 Say it ain’t so…. No!!!

Fucking furries…. Furries have the same effect on me as mimes and clowns on some people. Somehow they just manage to bring out the most intolerant, disrespectful and hateful side of me.

No. NO – You don’t get to dress up as a fucking raccoon and demand that everybody still take you seriously afterwards.

I really like what Carbine are doing, but doubling down on furries is just being cruel to all the relatively sane non-furries out there.

Oh well. I guess I’m going exiles after all. Rock-men and borg-elves for the win.

#6 12 months ago
  7. GwynbleiddiuM

@DSB Sign me up on your team and together we shall rid the world of dem furry little beasts. I too share that feeling I’d rather play as a wooden cock than something with furs, well, unless it’s a werewolf/worgen which is fine because I’m a Wolf trapped into a man’s body. The only furry things I like are the ones I skin to prepare a feast of the grill.

#7 12 months ago
  8. lookingglass

I’m glad they didn’t make the same mistake World of Warcraft made when it launched. The alliance had all the “pretty” or goofy races while all of the horde races were serious and beastial.

It led to what you’d pretty much expect. The way Wildstar is going about it will certainly mix up the… Uhh… “personalities” of both sides.

I think some hardcore people will want to play dominion, but being a robot zombie with laser weapons will be too cool to pass up. Another person might want a hilarious character and the furby/baby-gremlin chua will be too funny to pass on even if the player is typically the good guy.

More interesting with each new tidbit for sure.

#8 12 months ago
  9. lookingglass

And yea…

The Psycho Furby’s are Dominion

The Robot Zombies are Exile

#9 12 months ago
  10. TheWulf

Furry trollin’ went out will bell bottoms. It’s pretty much desperately hacking at the very bottom of the barrel with a pick when it comes to such. It’s the equivalent of screaming with a high-pitched voice for attention, for people to love you. I always had a fairly low opinion of you, but I thought you were better at what you did than that. Oh well. Really, there’s just no point there because it’s too easy and there’s no challenge. And that’s why furry trolling always reeks of desperation.

I’m actually kind of disappointed!

P much.

For all the bad that can be said about it, at least they avoided the WoW stereotypes. WoW is something you look at in order to see how to not do that kind of setting. The charr in Guild Wars 2 were a direct opposite to WoW, and quite a lovely, refreshing change they were. (I’m still saddened that ArenaNet dropped the ball on worldbuilding in regards to them and not having the infrastructure they should have had.)

It’s great that they went about things the way they did, though. And they’ve really captured the psychotic feel of the Gremlins from the films, too. So I’ll give them another point, there, as well. Far from sold on this, but I do like the races.

#10 12 months ago
  11. Phoenixblight

You know what else is out of style? Anonymous poster with a superiority complex.

#11 12 months ago
  12. GrimRita

I don’t know what to make of this. I had a good look around the website and couldnt even find a forum to discuss anything. For a game thats due for release this year, all these funky videos mean sweet FA if the game turns out to be yet ANOTHER WoW clone.

#12 12 months ago
  13. GwynbleiddiuM

@12 It still is in closed beta and the NDA is in effect, that’s why the forum is limited to those who are in the beta program.

#13 12 months ago
  14. hives

@12 – What it takes to be a WoW clone? For me, it’s having very similar mechanics and combat. Like The Old Republic. Wildstar combat will be different, mostly AoE manually targetet skills (see: Aiming dev diary from Carbine).

Plus: Interesting Path system and cool world and player housing.

Also – it will have traditional raids and dungeons. And you know what? I’m happy :P

#14 12 months ago
  15. GrimRita

@14 – have you played Wildstar? Otherwise you’re just believing the bullshit coming out from the developers mouth. They all do it. Warhammer, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2 – all promised to be different and turned out to be exactly the same.

The player housing does look good – especially as you can invite your ‘friends’ over, or help others – its like Farmville but with combat! PvE never really is a draw for me in MMOs as I prefer PvP, so I hope to get in beta to see how it fairs.

@13 – Other MMOs had forums even during beta, just to start building the community. You can’t build a community from standstill for an MMO and the fact they only have 72k ‘Likes’ on facebook is an early worry that the game isnt really the mainstream

#15 12 months ago
  16. Phoenixblight

THere are videos of it at conventions being played by people so I don’t know how that could be PR. Totalbiscuit has an hour playthrough and the game is nothing like WOW. You can’t doctor up those.

#16 12 months ago
  17. hives

@15 – um… what? We can all SEE the combat mechanics on official vids and on videos from people who break NDA we can see more stuff. How this is “bullshing coming out from devs”? oO When I saw TOR for the first time, I saw WoW-clone, because fights were like in WoW.

#17 12 months ago
  18. stretch215

Lol @10 . Somebody’s upset. You must be a “furry” (a.k.a weirdo).

#18 12 months ago
  19. Armitage Shanks

@18 would it really be surprising if he was at this stage?

#19 12 months ago