Strider revival announced at San Diego Comic Con

Friday, 19th July 2013 00:36 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Strider is back, and headed to PC, current and next-gen consoles thanks to Double Helix Games; check out screens, the announcement trailer, and uncut gameplay footage within.

Capcom Senior Producer Andrew Szymanski announced the new game during a panel at San Diego Comic Con. The game is being developed by Double Helix Games, the Californian team behind Killer Instinct, in conjunction with a Japanese team including some of the franchise’s creators.

Development has been focused on creating “an ultra-responsive control system” with combat options in all contexts, including “standing, running, wall climbing, hanging, aerial and more”. You can see this in action in the gameplay footage below, along with the announce trailer and some high-res screens.

Unlike past Strider games, the HD revival boasts an interconnected world with non-linear exploration. Rather than traditional levels, players will be able to return to previously explored areas and take advantage of an upgrade system to access new, previously inaccessible areas.

The dystopian adventure follows the story of Hiryu, the youngest ever “Super A” ranked Strider agent, on his mission to assassinate Grandmaster Meio, supreme dictator of Earth.

The new Strider is coming to PC, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One via digital distribution in early 2014.

1. TheWulf

!!!!!!

Can this year get any better? Between the indie titles and the revivals… wow. This has been pretty great. Shadowrun Returns, Dragon Commander, Duck Tales, Castle of Illusion, and now Strider.

This is a really awesome time to be a gamer. The mainstream is still… the mainstream, but things like this give me hope.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Ireland Michael

“Strider is back, and headed to PC, current and next-gen consoles…”

Whooooooo! Awesome! This is the best gaming news ever!

“…thanks to Double Helix Games.”

God damn it!

#2 1 year ago
  3. absolutezero

Oh fuck off Double Helix with the ruining things that I actually like.

Oh Well I’ll give this the benefit of the doubt as much as Ninja Gaiden Z.

#3 1 year ago
  4. DeVitowned

Yep. Strider is being sent on a suicide mission.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Brenna Hillier

Updated with more screens, trailer and gameplay footage.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Lengendaryboss

So… no retail version?

#6 1 year ago
  7. dkpunk

This is great news. Definitely some awesome games getting revivals. How about a decent ghost n goblins remake?

#7 1 year ago
  8. Brenna Hillier

@Lengendaryboss Capcom press centre says digital only, yeah.

#8 1 year ago
  9. TheWulf

…I’m not familiar with Double Helix. I’m guessing this is bad? Oh well. :c

#9 1 year ago
  10. absolutezero

Why are JP publishers handing out classic series to the lowest common denominator Western Developers?

Coming next from Hammerpoint Interactive Resident Evil : RE-REMAKE!

Wulf Double Helix created Silent Hill Homecoming. Theres more than that of course, they actually killed off Front Mission aswell but Homecoming should be more than enough to alarm.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Ireland Michael

@9 Yes, this is a really bad thing.

Tomorrow I will wake up and realise that my experience of reading this news post was nothing but a fever dream. What it will actually say is this:

“Strider is back, and headed to PC, current and next-gen consoles thanks to Platinum Games.”

…a may can dream, I guess.

@10 In regards to Capcom at least, its basically because every creative talent they actually possessed long ago jumped ship for better pastures.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Lengendaryboss

@8 Thanks.

Well judge by the EVO reaction although i think something else was the cause. Or like 10 or 11 said.

#12 1 year ago
  13. NeoSquall

There’s PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One, but no PS Vita? Duh…

Anyway, I’m super happy to play a new and 3D Strider!

#13 1 year ago
  14. Lengendaryboss

And thats such a surprise? Besides EA, Temco Koei, Warner Bros, Ubisoft and Namco Bandai Games: Capcom don’t really support PlayStation portable products besides fighting games.

#14 1 year ago
  15. holplay

Thankfully, DH has been re-organized since those aforementioned “movie-title” games & I happen to know there is a totally different group of developers working on Killer Instinct and Strider. Anyone who is in the Industry knows that Management typically kills the Creatives and things like budget and deadlines set by the publisher limit “what could have been” and “what should have been” ..

#15 1 year ago
  16. Armitage Shanks

How come Double Helix are being handed such beloved franchises all of a sudden? although i do really like the look of Killer Instinct i am also well aware of their track record so far.

#16 1 year ago
  17. NeoSquall

@14 I thought that a next-gen game would be different, maybe with a more flexible engine that could allow an easier port to the portable console. :\

#17 1 year ago
  18. Clupula

I was happy until I read the Double Helix part. Guess I won’t be playing this.

#18 1 year ago
  19. The_Red

This had to be Double fucking Helix… Seriously. WHY!? Original Strider is one of the best arcade to 16-bit console ports and a true Genesis gem. Why Capcom?

#19 1 year ago
  20. Alernet

No Wii U relea- -DOUBLE HELIX…? hahahaha keep it

#20 1 year ago
  21. brotherhoodofthewolf

double helix? which boneheaded producer made that recommendation?

#21 1 year ago
  22. Fin

Double Helix has been getting some impressive work recently.

#22 1 year ago
  23. GregSolidus

As a Front Mission fan I shed a tear in solidarity.

#23 1 year ago
  24. orakaa

Double Helix??? The guys who haven’t been able to release even ONE decent (not even saying “good”) game in their whole history?
    Oh man…

Saw the trailer. Definitively not impressed, and the game blinks/flashes way too much. I don’t suffer epilepsy but this is painful to watch. Hope they’ll fix it and that (miracles can happen) the game will be decent, but I don’t have high hopes, given Double Helix past record (and yes, I’m a Front Mission fan too and their Front Mission Evolved was absolutely disastrous)

#24 1 year ago
  25. dizzygear

Damn that looks awful. Capcom sure knows how to pick them.

#25 1 year ago
  26. Clupula

Do Double Helix work for food or something? Why would so many companies hire them when they have such a poor track record and have actually destroyed the reputation of the Silent Hill and Front Mission franchises, in the past?

#26 1 year ago
  27. Bowser

I have this SNES game named “Run Saber” that’s essentially a Strider clone but what I really love about it is that it has two-player CO-OP where I think Strider was just alternating 2-player. If this has two-player co-op then I’m beyond sold.

#27 1 year ago
  28. YoungZer0

@15: You know, I actually believe you, the game doesn’t look that bad after all.

#28 1 year ago
  29. absolutezero

On the other hand thats what we were told about Spark and look at Lost Planet 3.

Not holding my breath here. Theres a reason that these developers are getting farmed out games and thats more or less because they can do them on the cheap.

I’m gonna link through this interview with a tester working at Spark again. Its pretty horrible listening.

#29 1 year ago
  30. xino

i HATE these types of 2d games now. they don’t offer anything innovative apart from just going straight to the right.

they could have at least made it full 3d man!

#30 1 year ago
  31. TheWulf

Honestly? That these games are so rare these days actually makes your point redundant. There are plenty of games which are 3D, and having the limitation of 2D movement means that often a developer has to be more innovative, creative, and clever to make up for that.

And I could point you at hundreds of indie games to prove this is true, we both know I could. So save me the hassle of building the list, since I suspect you’ve played the indie games that I have.

It’s a hot day and I’m feeling lazy.

Anyway, it’s a shame that there are so many bad things said about this developer, because otherwise I would have been fully on board with this. I often find 2D level design to be more intricate, thoughtful, and interesting than 3D level design, in all honesty. With a 3D space, you don’t have to do so much thinking about the freedoms you give the player.

#31 1 year ago
  32. TheWulf

This makes me very happy to hear as I am a Strider fan. And to be honest, the trailer seemed to contradict what I was being told, but I was being told that by some very intelligent types here on VG24/7 and I know they know what they’re talking about. However, I’m guessing that they didn’t know that Double-Helix had been restructured, which is okay because you can’t know everything, no matter how much you want to.

So, essentially, I might be able to get my hopes up for this again. I’m a shameless Strider fan, I won’t lie. I played it in the arcades, I’ve played it on emulators, I’ve played pretty much every version of it that’s been released (including the weird NES one)… and I dig it. Maybe it’s because of the 2D parkour feeling the game has going on. It’s not precisely so, but it tends to feel that way due to how it’s animated.

We need more 2D parkour games.

Still, thank you for giving me hope again. I want to be excited about this. But you know me… I’m as wary as hell, too many developers and publishers have lied to me over the course of a very long time of gaming. We’ll see what happens.

I’m reeeally hoping for this to be good, though.

#32 1 year ago
  33. TheWulf

And sod it, I’ll say it… I like the aesthetics.

Gah!

That’s what makes me think that there may be something to this game being okay. I dig the soldiers having ridiculous yellow uniforms, because that’s actually very faithful to Strider, for those who remember. There were some dudes who actually had those. And it’s colourful, it’s actually colourful!

If this is bad, I’m going to be so disappointed, because gods damn it the aesthetics are actually pretty damned okay.

Conflicted doesn’t even begin to describe how I feel right now.

#33 1 year ago
  34. YoungZer0

@29: But … I like the look of Lost Planet 3. But then again I thought Lost Planet 1 was mediocre and Lost Planet 2 was a complete and utter disaster.

#34 1 year ago