3DS outselling PS3, Xbox 360 week-by-week in UK, according to Nintendo

Friday, 19th July 2013 15:18 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

3DS is outselling PS3 and Xbox 360 week-by-week in the UK, according to Nintendo.

Speaking with MCV, Nintendo UK’s head of consumer marketing James Honeywell said the handheld has been trending ahead of Sony and Microsoft’s offerings for the last three months, thanks to a number of hit titles such as Animal Crossing: New Leaf.

“Software sells hardware,” said Honeywell. “You must have heard that from us a lot. And the same can be said for Wii U as we move into peak season. With such a strong line-up of titles that are so critically acclaimed, it is just a perfect storm. It has made it the format of the moment.

“Sometimes 3DS, or handheld in general, suffers because people tend to focus on the home console market. But 3DS is really doing the numbers right now.”

There were eight 3DS titles on the UK individual formats Top 40, and so far this year, it is is the only system to sell more games year-over-year.

Across the pond in the US, 3DS sold nearly 225,000 units for June, according to NPD figures, and finished as the best-selling video game system in the US for the second consecutive month. The firm had three software titles in the top ten.

Titles such as Animal Crossing: New Leaf, continued sales of Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D and Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon helped 3DS hardware and software sales increase by more than 40 and 105%, respectively, year-over-year.

For the first six months of 2013 in the US, Nintendo sold nearly 3.6 million combined physical and digital units of first-party Nintendo 3DS software, an increase of more than 85% year-over-year.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf sold more than 505,000 combined physical and digital units in June and over 20% of these sales were through the Nintendo eShop.

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D sold more than 108,000 combined units in its second month and Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon added nearly 115,000 combined units in its fourth month on the market, bringing its lifetime total to more than 750,000 combined units.

1. lexph3re

Nintendo: HEY LOOK AT US! OUR DIRT CHEAP HANDHELD IS OUTSELLING CONSOLES! CHECK OUT MY D*CK!

#1 1 year ago
  2. Ireland Michael

@1 It’s selling because its affordable and has a lot of great games being released on it.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Jet Black

I’d really like to get a 3DS but what’s making me hold off is that there may be a hardware refresh just around the corner, in typical Nintendo fashion. It’d be just my luck to buy one now & a new one to come out in a few months. Anyone know of a possible product refresh?

#3 1 year ago
  4. lexph3re

Affordable? Yes. A lot of great games? Up for debate. But, it’s still a pointless dick waggle.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Ireland Michael

@4 Much like comparing the validity of hardware based on its specs is.

#5 1 year ago
  6. lexph3re

There’s always validity in hardware specs. Is there validity in consumers interest in hardware specs? Nope.

But, of course you can always have friendly discussions to compare hardware. Right?

#6 1 year ago
  7. absolutezero

Why would you compare a console to a handheld?

#7 1 year ago
  8. Clupula

This is such an apples and oranges debate, though. It’s like a bicycle company bragging that they sell more bikes than cars. Two totally different things. Home consoles and portable systems are two separate beasts and I can’t help but feel the only reason this bragging is coming about is that they know they can’t brag about how the Wii U is doing.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Ireland Michael

@7 Because they both release core games?

#9 1 year ago
  10. Mineral4r7s

I ordered my 3DS XL yesterday in a bundle with Monster Hunter 3. Soon the new pokemon appears and I have a lot of other games up the sleeve that I wanna play. So go for it nintendo.

Pokemon is reallly going to give this thing a sale burst.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Froseidon

@6 – Hardware specs shouldn’t mean that much. I mean look at current gen. Any multiplatform games were designed on the 360′s specs and then ported to PS3. Also, the Wii outsold them all. That is why specs aren’t as important as some of the people on the internet like to make out. Sure, exclusives will show the difference, but graphics aren’t everything. Gameplay means a lot as well. Then again, it is partially as you said, “consumer interest”.

@7 – I see where you’re coming from. All of them are consoles (3DS, PSVita, 360, PS3…etc). Now if you use either “handheld console” or “home console”, there is the debate. The article states both Xbox 360 and PS3 but it also says “Sony and Microsoft’s offerings” which could mean the other handhelds in question.

@10 – You’re gonna have to tell me what the XL is like. I only have a normal one and I kinda want an XL =/

#11 1 year ago
  12. mistermogul

@3 – If you do take the plunge I fully recommend the XL over normal 3DS after having both.

Bigger screens, more comfortable to hold (especially over long periods), longer battery and the same resolution on the larger screen is 99% unnoticeable…

#12 1 year ago
  13. MrWaffles

I’ll too hold until the 3ds slim/micro/i refresh, together with the new Pokemon (last one I played was Pokemon blue).

There’s really not other games for it that I’d pay full price for, but I guess I’ll see some bargain bin ones on my way out of the store.

Any recommendations?

#13 1 year ago
  14. stealth

3ds is killing it

#14 1 year ago
  15. Lengendaryboss

@MrWaffles
    Resident Evil Revelations? Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate? Pokemon X/Y ?

To be honest its really the last two choices why i’m getting a 3DS plus i’m being pushed into it.

Edit: I could include backwards compatible games?

#15 1 year ago
  16. MrWaffles

Monster Hunter does look pretty cool, but I’ve heard the game is so tedious and you have to grind endessly… to get somewhere, that just killed my interest a bit (wish I had thay kind of free time).

#16 1 year ago
  17. ChunkyLover112

I knew it sold better than pshit3 but better than Xbox 360? Really?

Comparing pshit games with 3DS games is comparing huge piles of shit with gold.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Clupula

@11 – To my knowledge, Microsoft doesn’t have a handheld “offering.”

#18 1 year ago
  19. Froseidon

@18 – I am well aware of this, but Sony does.

#19 1 year ago
  20. ps3fanboy

the chavs are all over the animal crossing game and the 3ds is so dirt cheap now, that romanian beggars can even afford it…. so no strange it sell like mad. ninty hit the sweet spot on the price and had animal crossing game, thats what happen. but it will not last its just a fade… just saying.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Lengendaryboss

Oh are we no longer pro-nintendo? Do you just love the Wii U?

I see irony somewhere.

#21 1 year ago
  22. ps3fanboy

its about time legendarychump the hypocrite open the windows in his mancave, the air is getting thick in there again… just saying.

#22 1 year ago
  23. stretch215

I never understood the handheld “craze”. I barely have time to game during my “free” time at home, nevermind during the workday. I guess maybe if I rode the bus….

#23 1 year ago
  24. Lengendaryboss

Looks like i poked a troll.

Gets away from bridge.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Digital Bamboo

@MrWaffles Monster Hunter is a charming game, but it is most definitely tedious. It is one of the most time consuming games ever made.

For example, before a hunt, you need to stock up on meat to restore your stamina during a long battle. So, you must first go out, hunt down some herbivores, harvest their meat, take out your BBQ spit, and individually roast 10 pieces of meat until they’re well-done. One. By. One.

After you take down a big monster (no small feat, and regularly takes 2-3 tries) you can craft some new armor using their harvested body parts. BUT you usually only get enough to craft ONE peice of armor for each kill. So, if you want an entire set of armor (of which you’ll probably need several to progress through the game) you have to go out and kill that same monster 4-5 more times.

I made it 30 hours into MHTri before I quit, and, these days, I almost never quit games. It makes Demon’s Souls seem like a cakewalk by comparison.

#25 1 year ago
  26. MrWaffles

@Digital Bamboo
    My sarcasm detector might be broken this week, but if all that is true then I’ll definitely skip that one!

#26 1 year ago
  27. lexph3re

I realized Monster Hunter wasn’t for me after Freedom Unite on PSP. I would honestly suggest anyone that want to give the series a try to start there instead of picking up a 150-200 device and a 40-50 dollar game. MHFU isn’t that far off from MH3U so if you don’t like Freedom unite probably wont like MH3U

#27 1 year ago
  28. brotherhoodofthewolf

it’s the start of the bloody school holidays – handhelds always do comparatively well at that time of year

#28 1 year ago