Killer Instinct’s Kinect player-scanning built with tournament play in mind

Wednesday, 17th July 2013 10:31 GMT By Dave Cook

Killer Instinct publisher Microsoft has explained how the brawler works with Xbox One’s new Kinect sensor. The studio believes it will make for slicker tournament play.

Speaking with IGN at the Evo 2013 fighting tournament last weekend, Microsoft Studios creative director Adam Isgreen explained that whenever a player sits down in front of their Kinect while playing Killer Instinct, the device will recognise that person’s face and scan in all of their user settings in a flash.

He said, “We want to have features to set up tournaments with your friends. Say there are eight of you and you just start sitting down. I know a lot of people are like, ah, the Kinect camera in the room, I’m scared!

“But the coolness of being able to sit down, the controller pairs itself to you when you pick it up. It knows your buttons. It knows how you like to play. It knows what characters you want to play. You can just say Start, and go. It knows who you are in the tournament bracket, so it will just automatically do the matches correctly.”

Isgreen added, “If you have a character you love, it might primary select that character already. Your buttons are already configured based on you picking up that controller. It knows it’s you, so it can do the leaderboards correctly. All that’s possible on Xbox One – mid-fight, too. So, here, you play, you give me your controller, it reconfigures it to me.

What do you think of Kinect’s player-scanning tech? Will it make game tournaments slicker to set up, or does the idea still creep you out?

Either way, Isgreen believes the features will help push Killer Instinct’s position as a tournament fighter. “There are a lot of neat features we can start to do that you can’t do right now,” he concluded.

“We can’t do that without having those kind of things built into the box. That’s one of the reasons we’ve kept them in. There is a lot of really cool stuff coming for it. Those are the kind of features we want to uphold for tournaments, online or offline. It’s going to be a big push for us.”

Thanks Eurogamer.

1. Pytox

The the nsa knows who plays tournaments :p

#1 1 year ago
  2. Djoenz

Cool? Neat? Its lame thats what it is. #justhatin
    However this would be perfect for Fifa!
    I dont see this working for fighting games. Seems annoying, Fifa however and individual setups just by picking up the controller sounds epic.

#2 1 year ago
  3. orakaa

After the massive backlash they received at EVO they still think Killer Instinct will be played in tournaments?

#3 1 year ago
  4. Tech-N9ne

What backlash?

#4 1 year ago
  5. MFBB

EVO was great last weekend on Twitch, lots of interesting fights in different games.

#4 Microsoft with the XboxOne and Killer Instinct both got choruses of boos instead of getting the crowd hyped up for the game.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Tech-N9ne

So, some PS fanboys booed because they are not getting the game = “massive backlash”, according to lots of people at EVO this game was the hottest thing on the floor. Anything else is just a bunch of disgruntled fanboys. Come next year the game will be part of EVO, with lots of players participating like it or not. Same thing happen with Marvel:GAU.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Fin

“according to lots of people at EVO this game was the hottest thing on the floor”

Not what I read at all. You have a source on that?
    The one I read (a Reddit post, admittedly), said there was issues with the amount of damage being done (low, so games go on too long), that combos have to have a finisher else they don’t do much damage, breaking a combo makes the announcer say “COMBO BREAKER”, which apparently gets old fast.
    All of that matched up with some gameplay videos I watched too.

#7 1 year ago
  8. MFBB

#6 dont talk such crap just because you like the Xbox, typical fanboy…

People didnt like the game because of the pay2play stuff.

The hottest thing of the show was also not Killer Instinct, it was Ultra Street Fighter IV.

Just because you like the Xbox system dosnt mean you have to flame/insult every other system :)

#8 1 year ago
  9. ps3fanboy

one fighter free and 20 dollars for each of the other fighters… you gotta love that idiocy of micro$hafts…

#9 1 year ago
  10. orakaa

@6: “some Sony fanboys”? have you even WATCHED EVO ??? You obviously haven’t, otherwise you might have been found yourself alone in cheering for KI.

It was massively “booed” both on stage AND on the stream. It ended up with people calling “Marvel, Marvel, Marvel” as they wanted to see the next matches. EVO is where the core of the competition for fighting games goes, which is why Microsoft came to showcase KI in the first place, but THIS public is not interested by/liking what has been displayed so far.

The game looks like a re-skinned Street Fighter 4, is being developed by Double Helix (who hasn’t done a single acceptable game since their creation, not even one) and will be available as “Free to play” with the first character (Jago) being free.
    Do you know what that means for online and competition? It means that 10 years old kids will be spamming this character all over the place (because, hey, it’s free), leaving a smaller place for competition and dedicated gamers.

Killer Instinct may perform well, commercially speaking, but its place is definitely not at EVO

#10 1 year ago
  11. The_Red

They really had the balls to talk about freaking KINECT during the EVO and say it’s GOOD for tournaments!? Seriously?

#11 1 year ago
  12. DarkElfa

” It knows your buttons. It knows how you like to play. It knows what characters you want to play…”

It knows if you’re on the terrorist watch list.

#12 1 year ago
  13. deathm00n

Am I the only that is getting sad in seeing the backlash microsoft is receiving? At first it was funny, but it’s getting sad.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Hcw87

It’s just a small vocal minority of retarded shortsighted fanboys, nothing else.

Even if MS went out and said it would release a kinect-free Xbone for 200 dollars, people would still behave like that. Childish as hell. Real gamers will get both systems if they have games they enjoy on both, instead of getting just one and flaming people who choose a different console than themselves.

#14 1 year ago
  15. OlderGamer

They act like your X1 system will be played in a massive room of large amounts of people waiting to sit down and play. I rarely have crowds that play video games with me in my home, and when I do – we play Nintendo systems/games or lan something on PC.

#15 1 year ago
  16. orakaa

@13: honestly, if they did things properly, they could have been well received and created a lot of hype.

For instance they could have gotten a team of developers who know what they were doing, are experienced and competent (which is absolutely not the case). They could also have dropped the free-to-play feature (absolutely disastrous for competition gaming).

But the way they came at EVO was a bit similar to the first Xbox launch in Japan, when Bill Gates himself came and said “well we know Japanese gamers have small hands so we created those smaller controllers for you”. It was pedant, arrogant and insulting. They arrived at EVO thinking the “knew better” what gamers would want, when it was absolutely not the case. It’s like your father coming to your room to tell you “what to wear to be cool”.

If they had not done that, they could have created massive hype around this game. It was a lost franchise than fans wanted to see coming back, but not like that.

#16 1 year ago
  17. deathm00n

@16 Good point.

@14 Not all “real gamers”, I play a lot, if that’s your definition of what makes someone a gamer. But I don’t have money to get 2 consoles, I need to chose 1 every generation. But I agree, bashing it for no reason is childish.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Major Mayhem 70

It’s pretty easy to weed out the fanboys in this comment section. Those that cheer the fact that killer Instinct received boos at Evo, those that believe Kinect has a direct link to NSA and those that knock the capabilities of the Kinect in general. There are a lot of gamers in my home and when we have tournaments this feature is going to be huge. Does everyone have big tournaments like me? Probably not. But there are those that do. Point being, at least that option is available for those that do. In a fps some of us play inverted some of us don’t. Imagine not having to pause the game to go to the controller configuration screen every time you get handed the controller all because your the lone person in the room that plays inverted. Kinect recognizes you and puts the controller settings to the way it knows how you like it. Bash all you want, but that’s called innovation in my book. PS4 looks to be off to an early lead but Xbox One keeps revealing little innovative things about it’s system that intrigues me more and more. I believe when people see what it can do in the stores the tides will change. And for the record, I’m no Xbox fanboy. I own An Xbox 360 and a PS3. Love both systems. I preordered an Xbox One and a PS4. I’m just more excited about the Xbox One cause they seem to be pushing for innovation and not rehashing what we now have in the current generation. I wish PS 4 packed in the Move camera so that game makers would create new ways of utilizing the camera. But they decided to pull that idea so as to undercut Xboxes price. Because they did that, the Move camera is already dead on arrival. Just judging by the fanboys here that don’t want anything to do with a camera and gaming is proof that they won’t go back out and buy a Move camera separately. I don’t blame you either cause I won’t be buying one either. Besides Sony, it won’t get the support it needs to warrant a purchase. But Sony will have great exclusives so I look forward to that.

#18 1 year ago
  19. monkeygourmet

What they have come up with is a solution to a problem that wasn’t really there to start with.

#19 1 year ago
  20. orakaa

@18: if you’re criticizing fanboys then stop acting like one FFS!
    No one is bitching about the Kinect functionality. Could be used properly, IF it really works (remember the whole first Kinect introduction video with skateboards that could be scanned… but never happened?). Show it for real, otherwise it’s just another fake promise.

You don’t understand nor acknowledge the points raised here, but also amongst the pro gamer community (we’re talking about EVO here) about the things that are BAD about Killer Instinct.
    As I said above Killer Instinct had and still has a lot of fans. It would have been easy to gain hype and momentum if things had been done correctly. But it wasn’t and you don’t seem to face that and be objective about that

#20 1 year ago
  21. Major Mayhem 70

Obviously u have no clue what a fanboy is and I’m not about to explain it to you. As for the Kinect, as I was trying to make my point above, did it ever occur to u that since there weren’t enough kinects in homes that game developers didn’t support the Kinect as much as if everyone had a Kinect. That won’t be the case this time. True the new Kinect hasn’t been proven so should I not hope that it works as they say it will. What if it does work as they say it will? Then what? Sony is going to be in trouble and fanboys like yourself know this. As for me that will be the idea situation cause it will force Sony to push for more innovation to compete. Remember, I’m the one who is buying both systems on launch day. So if I’m a fanboy then I’m a fanboy of gaming itself. I know not everyone can afford 2 systems do a decision has to be made. I enjoy the competition that these 2 gaming consoles have been going through through the years. It’s a win win for me. Playstation plus has forced Xbox to offer free games now. Now I get free games from both systems( so called free cause I pay a yearly subscription for both).
    @19 its called innovation. Example: we have mp3 not because there was something wrong with CDs. Tube TVs worked fine in my house but now all I have are thin screens. You don’t have to have a problem to innovate, you only need to have the desire to move things forward…

#21 1 year ago
  22. Major Mayhem 70

And one more thing I’d like to add Orakaa concerning Killer Instinct at EVO. The booes were for Microsoft and not Killer Instinct. Every article I’ve read about the matter talked about the fact that the mentioning of Microsoft or Xbox One caused jeering towards the system. As far as free to play and having to purchase additional charecters ( and whoever said $20 per each additional charecter is a dumb a s s ) this is nothing new. I purchased the game Pain on PS3 and and they kept trickling new charecters out and I had to pay for those charecters if I wanted to be able to play them in Pain also, So lets not act like buying additional charecters is something new. Talk to someone who doesn’t own both systems cause that won’t work with me.

#22 1 year ago
  23. xxJPRACERxx

Perfect! This should be in every games, part of the OS. The time I wasted re-configuring the controller each time it was passed…

This is the kind of things I like about Kinect, not some BS dance and wave like an idiot in front of the TV.

#23 1 year ago
  24. Major Mayhem 70

Nice to see someone else seeing the light as I do. Sometimes I forget to reconfigure my settings when it’s my turn and then I either get a thrashing (if I’m playing online) or I have to pause the game to reconfigure every time I get the controller when I’m playing locally.

#24 1 year ago
  25. machy

KI isnt that bad

#25 1 year ago
  26. orakaa

@ Mayor Mayem: Wow… comparing “Pain” to COMPETITIVE fighters regarding DLC characters (Killer Instinct being not “a full game with DLC characters” but a F2P game)… haha, oh boy, you really are hilarious and have shown you have NO idea what you are talking about.

As said above, if the game had been treated properly, it wouldn’t have mattered if the game was Xbox One exclusive or not, people would have gotten interested.

Fans were expecting/hoping a new Killer Instinct since Microsoft acquired RARE. You’re really stupid enough to think that they were only “booing” ‘because it was Microsoft’?
    I’ll let you go back to your “real competitions” (let me guess, you and your 2 other brothers). Have fun.

#26 1 year ago