Precinct Kickstarter is a spiritual successor to the Police Quest series

Tuesday, 16th July 2013 16:40 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Sierra veterans Jim Walls and Robert Lindsley have announced Precinct, a spiritual successor to the Police Quest series, has landed on Kickstarter.

Precinct aims to “bring back the classic Sierra-style adventure formula and update it into a modern police adventure.”

The Jim Walls Reloaded, Inc. developed title needs $500,000 in funding, and as of press time, 184 have donated $10,219 to its development.

“Like the original Police Quest series, Precinct let’s people see what it’s really like to be a police officer,” said Walls. “With today’s development tools and technology, I can finally deliver the type of experience that I’ve always wanted to. I want Precinct to rekindle the feeling of classic adventure games while delivering a cutting edge police adventure to a whole new generation of gamers.”

Precinct takes the player on a “realistic police adventure through the mean streets of Fraser Canyon,” where players will assume the role of Officer Maxwell Jones

It was written by Walls along with “some of today’s brightest Hollywood talent.”

The first-person adventure game contains a 3D environments and gameplay , and is planned as a five games series, with the first game being released in Q3 2014.

If funded, Precinct will be released as digital download for PC and Mac with distribution across platforms such as Steam.

Additional Kickstarter stretch goals will allow for release on PS3 and Xbox 360.

1. _LarZen_

I grew up with Sirra and the Police Quest games. If it was a modern twist of the classic point and click games I would consider backing it.

#1 1 year ago
  2. stamps79

Oh dear, this is one of those series I really enjoyed when I was younger. I really hope this game makes it and I will be backing it up.

#2 1 year ago
  3. DSB

That demo was just awful… I hope they bring some better design than that.

They should ask Wadjet Eye for help. Asking for half a million based on that is a bit much, but I grew up with Police Quest and I’d sure like to see it succeed.

#3 1 year ago
  4. YoungZer0

Why would they ask Wadjet Eye? Their games still look like pixel trash.

#4 1 year ago
  5. DSB

@4 Have you never played the Sierra games? They really weren’t lookers.

Personally I like “pixel trash”. When I was playing the Monkey Island Redux I’d go back to the old style just to get rid of the lousy cartoon style.

The problem is that Sierra liked to make extremely hard and obscure puzzles, and there’s no way that’s gonna fly today. You have to give people a pleasant experience, and Wadjet Eye are generally excellent at doing that.

#5 1 year ago
  6. TheWulf

I’m with #5 on this one. The Wadjet Eye games didn’t have graphical fidelity, but they did have everything else. What one usually finds matters with an adventure game is, indeed, the everything else. The story, the characters, the plot and narrative, how the puzzles are handled, and so on. Everyone could learn a lot from Wadjet Eye.

#6 1 year ago
  7. YoungZer0

That’s not what I meant. I game with pixel-design in mind looks much better than what you get from Wadjet Eye. The games from Wadjet Eye were not created with the pixel-style from the get go.

Everything hints at it being less of a style choice and more an excuse to hide lazy work.

Just look at the background of

When you use Pixels, literally every single pixel has to make sense. It greatly shows in games like Gemini Rue, especially the background:

It all looks like the artist created a rough concept and threw a filter over it.

Resonance is no exception:

While some of the background in Resonance look better than in Gemini Rue, the perspective is mostly totally fucked up.

Compare that to Indiana Jones for example:

The backgrounds are much quieter. The artists make the best of the limited color palette, which actually helps the art-style.

They seem to use the pixel look to profit on nostalgia than anything else. One of the bigger hints is that they use character portraits in a different look.

They really need better artists.

@6: Have you played Resonance? They couldn’t have made the interface more obstructive.

#7 1 year ago
  8. DSB

@7 Personally I just care a lot more about how it looks than how it was made. Unlike the Lucas Arts games, these were done by single persons with no budgets, and they’re obviously choosing to make it pixelated rather than anything neat.

I think Resonance did a decent job of it (although I didn’t like the design in general) but Gemini Rue was perhaps a bit too dissonant.

I was mostly referring to Dave Gilberts own games though. Blackwell throws all the right punches in my opinion. It focuses first and foremost on a great story with great characters, and instead of trying to make the designs (or the graphics) complex, it focuses on making the journey rewarding.

That was really never the case with Sierras games. It was always about making the games as devilishly hard and convoluted as possible.

#8 1 year ago
  9. YoungZer0

@8: Do the newer versions of the game still use the same voiceactress?

#9 1 year ago
  10. DSB

@9 Hah, I don’t think that’s bad for a game with virtually no budget. The actors are all members of the same New York improv group, and they get better with each game.

The first game is a little rough in general, it has a few obscure puzzles, but it all improves in the later games.

It could be a lot worse.

#10 1 year ago
  11. YoungZer0

@10: But didn’t they replace the main voice actress once they re-released the series in 2012? That’s the new one that’s supposed to be better? O: Can’t even imagine how bad the previous actress must have been.

In any case, if I had to play at least one of the games, which one would it be?

Also, I think it’s fair to say that Adventure games depend on good writing and superb voiceacting as there isn’t much else to go on for them. An RTS game has bigger priorities.

#11 1 year ago
  12. DSB

@11 Bad voice acting is bad voice acting regardless of genre. I think the Blackwell actors do a pretty decent job. A lot of the adventure games I grew up with didn’t have voice actors, including Police Quest.

I don’t know about rerecordings, but when I played the first game, it had the chick from your video. The second one has a different character with a different actress, and the third one has the same as the fourth.

I’d say Deception is the best one so far. It has the right balance in the puzzles and the best voice acting.

The third one was a bit too easy for my taste.

*edit*

I just looked it up, and it seems they did rerecord the first one. Awesome!

#12 1 year ago
  13. YoungZer0

@12: Alrighty then, might give this one Deception a look.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Sini

oh man loved police quest games when i was a kid, nowdays it’s all mobster crap

#14 1 year ago