PS3 still has “some time to come”, says Sony’s Fergal Gara

Monday, 15th July 2013 14:44 GMT By Dave Cook

PS4 is on the horizon but Sony Computer Entertainment VP Fegral Gara has assured fans that PS3 isn’t going away any time soon.

Speaking with OPM, Gara said, “In terms of the life of the PS3, I think it’s there for some time to come, I think it’s got an amazing line-up of games this year which is really healthy.

“I also think we’ll see a different phasing of success emerge this year from PS3 versus PS4. So you know I would expect it to fade a little more quickly in the UK which is a highly networked country with a huge taste in new tech.”

On the PS4′s launch and Sony’s hopes for healthy sales, Gara added, “Achieving a strong install base is always very, very important in a console’s life. And we’ll be as focused, if not more focused, on that this time versus any previous generation, in particular starting with an attractive price-point that’s going to help us on that journey. So we’re delighted we’re looking in good shape on that front”.

How long do you think Sony will support PS3 after PS4 launches? Let us know below.

1. SlayerGT

Keep em around. Especially if you plan to purchase a PS4 and play online. PS3 will become an archive of free games via Plus.

#1 1 year ago
  2. MCTJim

Neither Sony or MS are abandoning their current consoles. They still have a lot in the pipe and I look forward to what they are bringing.

#2 1 year ago
  3. SlayerGT

@2 What’s MS got? Im two weeks from trading my 360 in.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Lengendaryboss

@Slayer
    Fable anniversary remake, GOW Judgement eariler in the year and Titanfall for Xbox360 (people seem to associate it as exclusive but doesn’t count)

But compared to Sony not much.

#4 1 year ago
  5. SlayerGT

@Boss yeah that’s pretty much all I could come up with too.

#5 1 year ago
  6. MCTJim

WoW really? http://www.ign.com/games/upcoming/xbox-360?sortBy=releaseDate&sortOrder=asc&filter=latest and http://www.ign.com/games/upcoming/ps3?sortBy=releaseDate&sortOrder=asc&filter=latest Should have guessed that it was foolish to even mention MS in a Sony thread all the while just saying neither company was abandoning their current consoles. Neither company is just stopping support as of now.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Clupula

I think there will probably be a good lineup of games for the PS3 until around mid-2015, when I expect it to start to taper off, and then probably stop altogether early 2016.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Clupula

@6 – I think they were talking first party.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Fin

Yer, first party I don’t think MS has anything lined up for 360, apart from Fable Anniversary?

Compared to Beyond, GT6, various smaller PSN games (Puppeteer, Rain etc).
    And Sony just released Last of Us.

#9 1 year ago
  10. polygem

@3: my 360 is gone now. sold with all the games. great ride, no regrets, don´t miss it though. i´m finished with ms in general…the one reveal was such a letdown – add prism. they´re just dead to me. no x1 for me, like never.

the 360 feels dead for quite some time now, actually after halo 4 (which was such a disappointment) there was not much anymore.

i´ll keep my ps3 for as long as i can, vita, ps3, ps4 and playstation plus guarantees tons of quality content.

all the stuff that comes out on ps3 and ps4 i´ll pick up for ps4 but i cannot wait for current gen games like dark souls 2 and the new ratchet game!

#10 1 year ago
  11. DrDamn

360 has World of Tanks too.

Yeah PS4/PS3 with PS+ combo is a good way to ride out the inevitable lean periods when the new consoles launch too.

#11 1 year ago
  12. SlayerGT

@6 I thought maybe you knew something I didn’t. No biggie. I use my 360 for mp gaming with my buddies, and exclusives. Everything else I buy for PS3. And I plan on PS4 this fall so I’ll have Plus..might as well keep PS3 for the free games you know?

#12 1 year ago
  13. MCTJim

@12 I just want my current consoles to continue to have support. Both Sony and MS have both stated at least 4 more years..which is probably crap for that long into the future..but for some reason 2017 keeps popping into my head.. I just dont remember exactly.

#13 1 year ago
  14. SlayerGT

@13 I hear ya. I don’t blame you for mentioning MS. It should be a concern to any gamer invested in a 360 considering how quickly they abandoned the OGXbox. Just as it was settling into its prime, imo.

#14 1 year ago
  15. MCTJim

@14 I am sure everyone here has 1000′s invested in their current setup. But as we move forward into the future, they will be moved to the attic or hall closet and collect dust :(

As it probably stands now they probably have told the Dev’s to stop making PS3/Xbox games and concentrate on next gen after XX date.

#15 1 year ago
  16. SlayerGT

@15 I don’t that would happen until sales numbers start coming in for the new machines. It’ll be ok. The last title I’m looking at for PS3 is EDF in the spring. And any games I missed that come to Plus free.

#16 1 year ago
  17. MCTJim

@16 I will continue to play them until the fat lady sings, that is for sure.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Djoenz

Im sticking to current gen so I hope for at least 3 more years great support.

#18 1 year ago
  19. pcbros

I’m waiting for a PS3/Xbox360 price drop. After EVO 2013, I want to get back into KOF and SSF4:AE :D

First one to hit the $200 mark gets me cash!

#19 1 year ago