Watch Dogs current-gen builds have “no trimmed-down mechanics”, says Ubisoft

Thursday, 11th July 2013 09:59 GMT By Dave Cook

Watch Dogs developer Ubisoft has said the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of the game will not have any trimmed-down mechanics when compared to the PS4 and Xbox One editions. There’s no mention of the Wii U however.

In a blog entitled, ‘The secrets behind watch dogs’ next gen experience’, Ubisoft discussed the finer points of the game’s ‘Disrupt’ engine, confirming that it took four years to develop and stressed that while it was engineered for next-gen formats, there is no compromise in content between current and next-gen editions.

Watch Dogs senior producer Dominic Guay explained, “We knew we would have next-gen hardware coming out before we ship. But we started off knowing we wanted to support PS3 and Xbox 360.

“On current-gen systems we may need to cut down the number of people on the street a little, but it’s still the same game. You don’t get the same sense of the crowd, but it allows us to scale certain bits and keep the same experience.”

Animation director Colin Graham added, “Players are going to know they aren’t getting a bad experience if they play Watch Dogs for the current gen, but the next gen is the real HD experience. You can zoom in another level. You can have better shaders, better simulation on the wind or the water, more particles, better atmospherics… Basically anything you can get with more computing power.”

The blog concludes, “So have no fear if you plan on playing Watch Dogs on the PS3 or 360. There are no trimmed-down mechanics to make you feel as though you are missing out on the core experience.

“Watch Dogs is truly a next-gen game – not just in terms of offering cutting edge graphical performance on the next generation of consoles, but also when it comes to the gameplay, the immersion and the seamless online experience. And that’s due in large part to a great foundation: the Disrupt Engine.”

What do you make of the above? Do you believe there will be little in the way of compromise between Watch Dog’s current and next-gen builds? Let us know below.

Thanks AGB.

1. xBASSxMONSTAx

So theres no difference then. Between this game and GTAV who even needs next gen this year. lol

#1 1 year ago
  2. VibraniumSpork

@1 Yeah, I have to admit that even though I’m leaning towards getting this as a PS4 launch title I do feel a little bit ‘Meh’ about it. Watchdogs looks great, don’t get me wrong, but I was thinking I’d feel a little bit deflated playing a ‘last-gen’ game on a new next-gen system.

Still, if there’s all these little but (presumably) noticeable improvements – “Better shaders, better simulation on the wind or the water, more particles, better atmospherics,” – then that’ll mitigate things a bit. At least they’re making more of an effort than other companies did with the 360 launch titles like COD 2, Gun and Tony Hawks which only got a piecemeal HD upgrade.

#2 1 year ago
  3. TheWulf

I think you’re better off waiting and saving your money, honestly. Take this from a PC gamer with a pretty great gaming rig. See, the only really important advancement in the past five or more years when it comes to graphics is tessellation. And, frankly, tessellation can be amazing when used properly. It can give real depth to a world.

The shock to my system was that neither the XBox One nor the PS4 support tessellation. That’s right, the most important graphics evolution of the past five years is skipped over by this generation. Everything else is very minor in comparison, because things like texture quality and all aren’t going to do a lot for you unless you stop and stare very closely at a wall. At the distance a TV is going to be, you just won’t see it.

Now, if they were using the next generation to create a game with a broader scope than the current generation could handle, and with impressive AI to go along with it, then it’d be worth the purchase. But they said it themselves — there’s no difference in scope or mechanics between the current and next gen console systems. So, in other words? You’re being conned if you buy a next gen console yet.

I say: Save your money. Let the devs work for it and show you precisely what the new systems can do that the old systems can’t. Otherwise it’s just a (very) expensive illusion.

#3 1 year ago
  4. MFBB

#3 I think what you said is wrong.

I am no expert with this stuff but Sony uses LibGCM as graphic library and I have not seen specifications of what is included and what not (also stuff can be added with a update if they want to).

Tessellation is not limited to DirectX or OpenGl.

Sony can use that aswell with there own graphic library LibGCM.

Even if they are not going to use it for the next whole generation…dosnt really matter.

Antialiasing was also never used and still the games looked great and got better every year.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Fin

I don’t mean this as a slight against you, but when I see something like “Take this from a PC gamer with a pretty great gaming rig.”, I automatically assume the entire comment is filled with bias/superiority.

I think the difference between 512mb and 8gb (5GB usable) of RAM ain’t “minor” (though maybe you were just talking about graphics improvements?).
    In any case, NG games look prettier than current gen games. That’s pretty much undeniable.

Anyway, on topic, I think this generation will be the first time multiplatform games will actually be better on the new generation. AC4, BF4, Watch Dogs, probably gonna pick them up on NG.

#5 1 year ago
  6. CPC_RedDawn

I think you might be wrong there. The PS4 and Xbox One’s GPU as far as I know is based of AMD’s GCN architecture (some rumours point to GCN 2.0 but that is probably false and not been proven or stated true by official’s).

Either way GCN architecture supports hardware tessellation, just look at the many game devs coming out and stating that their games (most of which use tessellation) will not have graphical cut backs on next gen consoles.

They even found a way to do Adaptive tessellation in software mode on the PS3 for GT6!

I am a PC gamers too but even I can admit that these new consoles are pretty damn powerful, if you compare them to a true gaming PC from the past three years then yes they get owned. But compare them to current consoles with 720p resolution sometimes even lower internal resolution, lack of AA for most games, most the time 30fps and majority under that. These new consoles are VERY powerful indeed when compared against the right hardware.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Tavarish

All power to them if they really have developed Watch Dogs for next-gen and then trimmed down stuff like AI amount on screen etc. to make it run properly on current-gen.

I was afraid that they have designed game for current-gen and then just added some polygons for next-gen / PC.

#7 1 year ago
  8. mistermogul

PS4 version for me. Even though I was toying with a X360 or even Wii U version, think I’d rather have the extra graphical grunt of the PS4 version.

Can’t wait :)

#8 1 year ago
  9. Docker Al

So it’s a current gen game and engine, ever so slightly tarted up for next gen machines.

#9 1 year ago