Crytek’s cancelled survival shooter Redemption detailed

Thursday, 11th July 2013 22:46 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Remember Redemption? The cancelled Crytek project described as The Last of Us meets Crysis 2 has finally been detailed – and may yet see the light of day.

In a feature on Polygon, Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli said he shelved the project personally, even though it had been successfully signed to EA.

The game’s ambition was to deliver a meaningful emotional connection, and was inspired by an experience Yerli had of being unable to find his niece.

A third-person shooter, Redemption had players protecting a ten year old girl named Jelena. She could be ordered to hide, but would not be safe from dogs, for example, leaving the player with little choice but to fight to protect her.

One of the key gameplay features was a button dedicated to looking at Jelena, zooming in on her face to check if she was okay; players could also call out her name to find her.

“At that point we knew – or I knew – this [was a] project we could not pull off yet,” Yerli said. “We don’t have the technology and the capabilities here. Not just the company, but the industry as a whole.”

Interestingly, Yerli said he expects the project to be back one day in some form.

Redemption was first outed in July 2011, but it wasn’t until August 2012, after its cancellation, that some artwork showed up. They’re well worth a look now that BioShock Infinite and The Last of Us has convinced us all that AI companions aren’t so bad after all.

The trailer below gives a look at Redemption:

1. For Blood

You could just mash buttons to win ALA Ryse.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Ali

I am a fan of Crytek and their engine, I hope they bring this back in some form as I think the industry is more ready for this than Ryse’s stupid fighting system.

#2 1 year ago
  3. YoungZer0

“Unfortunately, after a couple of years of work, testers didn’t like the game, saying Jelena was annoying, and that they wanted to shoot her, or just get on with shooting enemies instead of fussing over her.”

Yeah, I already hate those people. What kind of feedback is that?

Oh come on, Yerli. It’s not the tech, we all know it. You just have to find a different way to approach the gameplay, all those years of producing FPS didn’t help you. That’s completely new ground for you.

Enslaved for example did it right.

When I first saw the artworks I immediately had to think of Gamekeeper. Has anyone read the comic? Worth reading just for the art alone.

I do hope the project comes back, its sounds like his heart is in the right place.

Toi, Toi, Toi, Yerli!

#3 1 year ago
  4. Dark

Cryteks = Most overrated developer.

#4 1 year ago
  5. polygem

i would love a game like this but not developed by crytek

#5 1 year ago
  6. tezzer1985

I agree @Dark, they are sooo overrated as a developer

#6 1 year ago
  7. xxJPRACERxx

“One of the key gameplay features was a button dedicated to looking at Jelena”

OMG! That’s a revolution!

#7 1 year ago
  8. For Blood

The way he states that makes it seem creepy as hell.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Citrus raptor

Agreed, every time I see a developer state something about needing better tech, I facepalm.

#9 1 year ago
  10. BrahManDude

Umm have you heard about The Last of Us

#10 1 year ago
  11. Belmont

The industry has the technology, Crytek has that too. They don’t have the passion and creativity for it. Yerli would certainly prefer a game that can show the Foliage rendering muscle of CryEngine.

I occasionally feel sad about Crysis franchise in the same way, it was always treated as a tech demo by its own creators. the original crysis was great.
    And,this game was signed to EA but Yerli personally shelved it ? Stupid moron !

Edit: I don’t know whether this thing could be great or not, but I think it might have been worth a shot.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Resident gamer

Is it just me or does this sound like a boring piece of trash?

Need better tech? sounds pompous and stupid, come on crytek.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Logion

I think they should bring it back. The last of us has definitely proved that games like this works.

#13 1 year ago