Capcom’s Christian Svensson quits firm amid lay-offs

Thursday, 11th July 2013 19:09 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Capcom senior vice president Christian Svensson has left the firm as part of a company-wide reorganization of the US office, which the firm said was conducted due to the “difficult transition” over to next-gen consoles.

Svensson broke the news of his departure on on Facebook, stating that volunteered to go as part of the planned re-organization – and that he had been wanting to leave for a while.

“Sadly, I’m not the only one affected by the reorganization today. Over the next few days, I’ll be gathering resumes from as many as I can and will be sending them out to my contacts around the industry to see if there’s a ‘love connection’ to be made,” he wrote.

“I’ve had the opportunity to interface with the best fans any company could ever hope to have. I know that I wasn’t always able to deliver what they wanted, but I promise that I did my best to champion their needs and wants. So thank you to the fans who made my job rewarding, challenging, and, if nothing else, interesting.”

At the time of the announcement, no other information on who else had been affected by the changes was announced, but Zack Karlsson, VP of business development and digital platforms at Capcom, also announced on Facebook he had quit the firm.

Capcom has since told GI International that it laid off “several employees from the US office” as part of an overall organizational restructure of the company.

“The transition to the new generation of hardware and changing industry landscape have required us to adapt our business to best meet our new goals,” a spokesperson stated.

“We sincerely thank each individual for their contributions and wish them well. We are unable to provide information on numbers.”

Capcom will post its Q1 earnings for the current period on July 31.

1. MCTJim

I can say without reservation that it sucks when companies downsize.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Clupula

It seems like Capcom are really in trouble. It’s a shame they continued with Inafune’s insane drive to Westernize so many of their products after he was gone, since we see how poorly it effected them.

Really, the only two money makers left they have are Street Fighter and Resident Evil. They should consider that it was their Japanese games that brought them to such high prominence in the past and that maybe it is time to focus on those in the future if they want to recover.

#2 1 year ago
  3. spazman

bring back Shinji Mikami, all is forgiven, now make us another great resi game please.

#3 1 year ago
  4. OmegaSlayer

Leaving the sinking ship…

#4 1 year ago
  5. SplatteredHouse

Have any details been posted as to the focus/purpose of the re-organisation? What is Capcom’s current “health level”. Are their games not selling – how did Revelations HD do for them…Gimme info! Offer context.

#5 1 year ago
  6. SplatteredHouse

This doesn’t sound great: “While I wish the company the best of luck, Capcom is going in a different direction and the need for people at my level, relative to other areas, is lacking,” he added. “Those who know me well, know that I’ve been ready to go for quite some time.”

Did he tire of combative management…

#6 1 year ago
  7. salarta

I can pretty easily say that Christian Svensson seemed like the only good thing the company had left going for it. In the midst of all the awful, shitty things the company was pulling, he seemed to be the only one that actually cared about consumers and trying to do good things, rather than trying to force awful things on consumers and expecting easy money.

Over the years, it’s become increasingly obvious that the upper levels of the company have made working with and for it an incredibly toxic environment. I won’t be surprised if Capcom ends up like Atari and Sega before long, a shell of what it used to be, a mere reminder of a once great past.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Stephany Nunneley

Post updated with statement from Capcom.

#8 1 year ago
  9. machy

they had it coming .. after the success of many titles on ps1/ps2 and GC this cur-gen they suxx big time RE5/6 and ORC was terrible DMC 4 and reboot was terrible as well … and all their new ip’s was damn terrible ”remember me”

#9 1 year ago
  10. SplatteredHouse

@7: “I won’t be surprised if Capcom ends up like Atari and Sega before long, a shell of what it used to be, a mere reminder of a once great past.”

That could even be their future, sadly. I hope they can turn things around, and I agree with your opinion of Svensson’s contribution. I struggle to see cause for enthusiasm in anything upcoming from them. (Lost Planet 3?)

#10 1 year ago
  11. salarta

@10: Capcom’s been on my shit list due to their antics with Mega Man Legends 3 (canceling it then blaming cancellation on the fans), DmC, and Resident Evil 6. Only reason I bought Revelations was because it mainly stars Jill, and only reason I bought Remember Me was because Nilin’s the cloest thing to a strong female protagonist we have left after this generation. Other than those two, like you, there’s been literally nothing they’ve put out or suggested that made me want to buy their stuff, and their past actions are a barrier to entry for me even of things that might pique my interest.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Unknown_Gamer

I’m telling you guys , If you want to know the reason why the RE and DMC franchises are DEAD , Check the Capcom unity forums , its literally full of tools and idiots who can easily fall into Capcom lies and suggest Capcom to stick into the current state of the franchise , and i’m telling once again that the one who kills Capcom and RE Franchise are the idiots in the forums who are against Survival horror aspect and the old DMC franchise .

Its totally disgusting watching Capcom listening to those stupid countable people on the forums while leaving their old loyal fans hopeless with nothing .

#12 1 year ago