Watch real men and women fight over money thanks to Watch Dogs Live

Wednesday, 10th July 2013 11:40 GMT By Dave Cook

Watch Dogs Live, the game’s Canada-only companion app recently tasked players with ‘hacking’ the bank account of the game’s villain. The stunt saw a real ATM machine in a Canadian shopping mall spew cash, causing what can only be described as a ruckus.

If you missed the original mission briefing, you can check it out here. We’ll keep our eyes open for the next mission soon.

1. Logion

I don’t really think they should promote hacking… I know it’s just marketing but it could give people stupid ideas.

#1 1 year ago
  2. CyberMarco

Am I the only one disgusted by this sight?

#2 1 year ago
  3. Clupula

I have to admit, I’d be grabbing cash too.

#3 1 year ago
  4. EZXPSnazzyPanic

#2 nope, it’s sad to think that money means soo much to people they are willing to be unhappy for it :(

#4 1 year ago
  5. Bam007

Didn’t another publisher pull a stunt where they had to pay a fine because of pollution? It had something to do with balloons and I think a river…

#5 1 year ago
  6. sh4dow

@1:

First of all, they didn’t actually promote hacking (if you think that what is depicted in this video is positive that is your interpretation).
    Secondly, everybody knows about hacking anyway. So why would it give anyone additional stupid ideas?
    Furthermore, the realization of such “stupid ideas” isn’t that easy anyway.

AND… people have had a never ending supply of stupid ideas since they evolved to a point where they gained the ability to have ideas. Something like this certainly doesn’t make a difference.

I mean for god sake! What about Robin Hood, The Matrix and really EVERY other story that is about taking back control from the powerful? People of the western world are much too weak to actually do that anyway. So no worries… go back to bed America, your government is in control…

#6 1 year ago
  7. Digital Bamboo

Seems perfectly safe.

I’m not so sure I’d be so quick to grab up that money, unless I knew it was a marketing scheme (and how could I?) There are cameras in shopping malls, and in ATMs.

If one really did start spewing bills out due to a hack, it’d be a shame to have the cops show up at your door after you’t spent it.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Logion

I know. I just think it’s silly that Ubisoft is trying to get people to think that they are some sort of skilled hackers when they walk around with their iphone app and “hacking” stuff.

What I mean with stupid ideas I mean mostly how people interpret marketing like this. We live in a world were the depiction of people hacking in TV shows is typing randomly on one keyboard. I could live without that impression in the video game community.

#8 1 year ago
  9. sh4dow

@8:

I see. And I agree with that :)

#9 1 year ago
  10. kolab

Yep, perfectly safe. Cos no-ones ever hurt anyone for $3,000, have they?

#10 1 year ago
  11. unacomn

Well, at least no one got arrested this time.

#11 1 year ago
  12. sh4dow

That may be why they did it in Canada. I’m not so sure that it would go over this smoothly (despite the shoving) in some other countries.

#12 1 year ago
  13. dvorak67

It was THQ, they were marketing for Homefront and they got a company called Trash Talk (ironic name) to release 10,000 balloons in to San Francisco bay.

#13 1 year ago
  14. MadFlavour

Fighting? A ruckus?

Whoever wrote this has obviously lead a sheltered existence.

#14 1 year ago