Nintendo’s keeping Miyamoto “pretty busy” working on its new franchise

Wednesday, 10th July 2013 14:40 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Nintendo is working on a new franchise, according to Shigeru Miyamoto.

Speaking with Famitsu and translated by Polygon, Miyamoto said while he can’t talk about it right now, it has been keeping him “pretty busy lately,” and thanks to the continued system updates for Wii U, more games will be made available making the console a “convenient thing” to have in the living room.

“With the most recent version update the system runs a lot better, and while there will continue to be improvements in the future, I think it’s to the point where it’s a convenient thing to have in the living room,” he said.

“Of course, these sorts of updates mean nothing if we don’t put out games for it, and I hope people are looking forward to the games coming up. We’ll have Mario Kart 8 out next spring, and at that point we’ll have the whole lineup in place, so I think it’s about time we brought out a new franchise.

“I can’t give out details, but that’s the title that’s been keeping me pretty busy lately.”

In the interview he also discusses Super Mario 3D World and how Princess Peach – a playable character in it – will once again be able to float like she did in Super Mario Bros. 2.

Hit up the link for the full thing.

1. Fin

Never trust interviews that are translated into English from the interviewee’s native language. Something always gets lost/confused.

“New” Franchise – probably something like Ice Climbers.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Crussong

About time, he?
    How about something for the older audience, since Mario, Luigi, Kirby, Yoshi and the others give enough material for games targeting younger gamers?
    Something new with a mature and iconic status like Samus Aran or Link..

#2 1 year ago
  3. Francis O

@1 Fin

Never trust a troll who has nothing positive to say about Nintendo, at all.

It’s common knowledge Miyamoto is working on a new IP.

#3 1 year ago
  4. ps3fanboy

Miyamoto will bring it for shure, the new and innovative games are coming guys and you better believe it :D

#4 1 year ago
  5. monkeygourmet

“Wah Wah, Nintendo don’t bother with new IP’s..! I would buy a Wii U if it had new IPs..!”

……..

News: Nintendo is working on a new IP!

……..

“Oh, it’s probably going to be shit or for kids…”

O_o

This is why I don’t believe half the people on here saying they would support Nintendo if they added certain features / new IP’s.

All I see is a bunch of people bitching and not putting their money where their mouth is when these games come out…

There will be a shed load of exclusives for Wii U out by 2014. Lots of quality titles of all genre’s too. If you want to hate on Nintendo just because of the brand, just have the balls to say it.

#5 1 year ago
  6. The_Red

New Franchise: Wii U Mini-game Collection!

Seriously though, I really hope it is a true new IP from the big N and not some random design with added Mario.

#6 1 year ago
  7. monkeygourmet

Mario Paint Sequel for the Wii U would be nice though?! ;)

#7 1 year ago
  8. fearmonkey

This would be smart if true, hopefully based on a new character.

#8 1 year ago
  9. hitnrun

@5: Well, I have both opinions simultaneously. It’s good that he’s working on a new franchise, and I’ll probably have no interest in it.

If someone else hasn’t figured out by this point, nigh on 30 years, that Shigeru Miyamoto doesn’t make games that are not thematically targeted at kids, well, I am without sympathy. The gameplay is another matter, but there are too many games and too little time.

What’s interesting is that he’s self-conscious about it. I’ve read a couple interviews in the last decade where he’s mentioned imagining a more “mature” take on Mario. I’m not sure what that would mean although it makes me more than a little nostalgic for that period in the early ’90s, when there was a kind of ad hoc continuity to the Mushroom Kingdom cobbled together by Nintendo’s western partners that I subscribed to completely as a kid.

#9 1 year ago
  10. ChunkyLover112

#4: He sure will. I am glad that even ps fanbois can see that.

Nintendo is doing very well right now. I’m sure everyone would agree with me. This franchise alone might just destroy ps4.

It can’t keep up with The One, though.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Professor Zoom

It’s probably something like Wii music 2 or some other casual game, I don’t believe they’re making something for adults, because it doesn’t sell on their consoles, neither did Zombie U, so they’d better come up with some third party support first, practically all major third parties have abandoned nintendo.

#11 1 year ago