Keiji Inafune didn’t see anything new or innovative at E3, he says

Wednesday, 10th July 2013 11:18 GMT By Dave Cook

Keiji Inafune, the man behind such Capcom classics as Dead Rising and most recently, the PS Vita romp Soul Sacrifice has said he felt this year’s E3 was awash with sequels and touch-ups of old ideas for next-gen consoles.

Speaking with Famitsu, Inafune said of the matter, “I was mostly handling interviews during E3 so I couldn’t get around the show floor that much. But with the quick overview I had, I sadly didn’t see any games this time that I really wanted to try out.

“We’re right at the cusp of new hardware launches, after all, so my impression was that it was nothing but sequels and there aren’t any new titles in the end. With the previous generational shift, too, it seemed like they couldn’t do anything new, and the launch games for the new systems didn’t really seem made for the systems, but were instead previous-gen games made for next-gen systems.

“That’s the state we’re in right now, and to be honest, I didn’t see anything really new and innovative in this year’s title lineup.”

On the PS4 and Xbox One showings, he continued, “Of course, my impression is that they’ve got great capabilities as machines. However, instead of focusing on those capabilities, they’re devoting their time to thinking about how to position the gamer with the hardware, or how to get them playing it.

“The first parties are challenging the game makers here, since it’s their job to make their mission a reality, and both game creators and the gamers themselves are taking up this challenge and looking toward these new types of games. In that way I think they’re both very meaningful platforms.

“Looking at the PS4 and Xbox One, I see very few cases of ‘this platform can do this’ and ‘that one can’t do that’. I doubt many gamers feel that way, either. There are lots of differences in the hardware design and other details, but in terms of differentiating themselves from each other, I don’t feel there are massive differences.”

There was a lot of sequels at E3 so he’s not wrong there, but we also had some new IP like Destiny, The Division and Titanfall? What did you make of the show in general? Is Inafune correct, or was there enough to keep you keen?

Thanks Polygon.

1. Djoenz

Im not going next gen for a long time, perhaps never, but The Division looked amazing.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Biscuitpants

same

#2 1 year ago
  3. Darth-Bader

He sounds depressed. That black and white photo isn’t helping either! E3 this was fantastic, lots of big surprises and tons of support for indies.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Francis O

New IP doesn’t equal innovation. Titanfall, a shooter with no single-payer campaign.

Destiny – Borderlands in Space….and another shooter.

The Division- another shooter…Everything is a shooter.

First or third person shooters all over the place.

I wish Inafune had the chance to play Bayonetta 2….That game looks to take the action genre to new heights.

And there were no major action games like Bayonetta 2 at the show from Sony or Microsoft.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Meatball

He’s not wrong though. There might have been new IP, but did any of them do something radically new and different? Just the three examples you mention: they’re all shooters and while they might throw in a new idea or two here and there, the core gameplay is nothing we’ve never seen before or a brand-new take on existing genres/mechanics. Not saying they’re not looking good, they’re just not looking very ‘next-gen’.

So yeah, “previous-gen games made for next-gen systems” sums it up nicely, imo. It’s the main reason why I’m holding off getting either of the new consoles. Show me something that blows my mind that I absolutely need your console for and I will run out and get one first chance I get. So far, that hasn’t happened yet, though.

#5 1 year ago
  6. jon_

Now i see why he was on a Starbucks instead of being at the E3…
    The E3 this year was full of sequels and suposed new ips that are more of the same.

Dont know why everybody was so hyped with Titanfall that is like Crysis meets Armored Core.

The only thing i found pretty interesting was the L.A Noire game that Square Enix is developing called Murder Soul Suspect and the indie game called Outlast.

#6 1 year ago
  7. ps3fanboy

like Dead Rising and Soul Sacrifice was new or innovative, LOL… Keiji Inafune should keep shut or go make these new and innovative games him self, just saying.

#7 1 year ago
  8. The_Red

Then he must have missed a lot of games like Tearaway, Galak-Z, Rain and many great indies. Yes, the AAA game was same old same old but there were many great projects within the indie games that WERE present at E3.

#8 1 year ago
  9. fihar

None of those game utilizes what the next-gen system are capable of though.
    I personally think that The Division, Destiny, and Sunset Overdrive sounds pretty neat. I still have to see how ‘alive’ the world is to make a proper judgment.

It’s not that the games aren’t innovative, it’s more like that they’re innovating in one direction only, and that’s connectivity.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Resident gamer

I see where he is coming from, especially since the whole industry is in a downward trend of trash, but there were a bunch of innovative and neat things at E3. There where a lot of Indie games (a lot at Sony’s conference) and some of them where very ‘new’ (I mean if any body does anything ‘new’ and creative it’s indie devs). I will say what he said makes me lose respect fro him a little, you can’t lump all the diamonds with the trash just because 90% of it is trash, I mean it is an over generalization and is rude to the people who really try. For me personally is if I had to point out one game it would be MGSV, I mean come on THAT ENGINE, THOSE GRAPHICS, THAT INNOVATIVE STEALTH GAME PLAY, MGSV (just like every single MGS release before it (except MGSPO)) pushes the boundaries of graphics, innovation, and fun. Saying ‘didn’t see anything new or innovative at E3′ with a new MGS around the corner (considering how big MGS is) shows just how much this guy is out of touch with many things and is just living in his own world created by seeing a lot of trash, and he is blind to the gold because of it.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Lengendaryboss

@Francis
    Do you ever get bored preaching generalisations, thats all your comments about shooters are. Petty, stereotypical generalisations.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Francis O

@Lengendarychump

do you ever get tired of comment stocking me?

#12 1 year ago
  13. For Blood

It is “stalking” not “stocking”.

#13 1 year ago