Battlefield 4: Xbox One Kinect compatibility confirmed by DICE

Wednesday, 10th July 2013 11:26 GMT By Dave Cook

Battlefield 4 will support Xbox One’s Kinect sensor, DICE has confirmed.

In the latest edition of GameInformer, DICE’s general manager Karl Magnus Troedsson said of the game’s Kinect support, “We have a pretty pragmatic view [on the new Kinect]. Instead of just trying to tick all the boxes of features you can do with new hardware, we look at what actually adds value [for] our players.

“When you look at the kind of games that we build – or Battlefield at least – it is a first-person shooter that is very much about skill. Input is really important. You need to have very precise control over what’s going on, and trying to do something like that with motion control input does not make sense – not if you want to keep the same kind of formula of the game as we [have] now. You’d need to build a different kind of shooter.

“But there are other places where it will make sense, and we are going to use it for other things in the game, but we haven’t announced exactly what.”

So it won’t be players waggling their hands around like chumps to make their soldier run around and shoot things. What do you think Kinect could be used for in Battlefield 4? Let us know below.

Thanks Videogamer & OXM.

1. actuallyisnotafox

I was thinking about 3rd party titles the other day, that to most people 1st party titles are what sells you the system, and if dev’s take advantage of console specific features, it can become quite interesting ^-^

#1 1 year ago
  2. Biscuitpants

use kinect to give out commands

#2 1 year ago
  3. VibraniumSpork

Voice Commands? As Squad Commander, pointing your reticule at the Control Point and saying “Squad Attack/Defend” would be pretty cool…but I’ve used buttons for that same function for years and have never grumbled about it.

Other than that? *Heavy shrug* I definitely wouldn’t be bothered about using motion controls for hand signals (“On me!” etc.) or – God forbid – reloading your weapon. Controller’s the perfect place for all that jazz. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

#3 1 year ago
  4. VibraniumSpork

Oh, and I hope that any such stuff they’re including for XB1/Kinect is also included for the PS4′s Eye. I know it’s inferior camera tech, but surely now that that both systems are rocking similar devices games will be developed with some thought about cross-platform motion/voice commands?

There’s the problem that not every PS4 will have the camera obviously, but there were plenty games coded with optional Move controls that the majority of owners probably never used…

#4 1 year ago
  5. freedoms_stain

Doubt they’ll integrate anything into Multiplayer. Singleplayer gimmicks only.

#5 1 year ago
  6. A2ra3l

All I can think of is commander mode. They are building it for tablets and kinect is very similar, basically turning your whole tv into a touch screen tablet. The commander doesn’t actually play the game as a soldier which frees the whole screen up as a giant war map that you can manipulate from the couch. If done right it could be really cool. But I’ll be playing on pc so I’ll have to watch youtube videos of other people using the kinect. Lol

#6 1 year ago
  7. Kyle Jackson

Kinect 2 + Oculus Rift + PC = Bye bye real world.

Shit bucket not included.

#7 1 year ago
  8. ps3fanboy

oh boy… looks like bf4 will be turned into starwars kinect or something now, LOL!

#8 1 year ago
  9. LordDjinn

@Ps3fanboy You make me ashamed to wear my Sony badge.

@A2ra3l I think you maybe right.

#9 1 year ago
  10. stretch215

@9 you should be ashamed to wear a ” badge” for any corporation. Lol @7 indeed :)

#10 1 year ago
  11. LordDjinn

@Stretch215 I wear a badge for any system/handheld i support. And i am usually proud of that, until one of them tries some bull. RIP DS lite.

#11 1 year ago
  12. BrahManDude

giving out orders or spoting enemies idk i want to see something cool though

#12 1 year ago
  13. bradk825

Another possible reason I may some day give EA another chance. I am watching them for other issues before I buy from them again. Between surprising me with online pass when I bought a used game and couldn’t play multiplayer, and the day 1 DLC on Mass Effect that I did not buy, but I’m told contained information essential to the overall ME story, I am not a big fan of EA right now.

They reversed online pass, but they have a lot to prove before I trust them with my favourite hobby again.

#13 1 year ago