Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag video walks you through being a pirate

Wednesday, 10th July 2013 17:24 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Below the break is a new Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag trailer giving a look at playing pirate and navigating the waters of the Caribbean. Watch as Edward Kenway loots dead pirates, finds maps, and does all sorts of, well, piraty things below with game director Ashraf Ismail walking you through the actions. Assassin’s Creed 4 releases on PS3, Wii U and Xbox 360 at the end of October and early November, and is coming to PC shortly thereafter. PS4 and Xbox One release will follow.

1. dex3108

World is beautiful :D

#1 1 year ago
  2. Edo

Yep,that was pretty good.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Stephany Nunneley

I was just telling Dave I may actually have to play this one. That was pretty convincing for me.

#3 1 year ago
  4. bradk825

I’m a sucker for Assassin’s Creed, you’d think 4 would be enough, but I need more. I’ll be picking this up, but not right away. I generally pick up an AC game when I can play nothing but for a while. I can’t buy it at the same time that I buy Ghosts, Forza 5, Dead Rising 3 and KS Rivals. I’m going to want to leave that disk in until it’s been beat.

Below is purposely vague to prevent spoilers
    I am still hoping they soon do a post-Desmond one. After the main event at the end of AC3, the templars and assassin’s could still be fighting for control and it would be a neat setting in modern day. If you played the full game you know what the world must be like now, and how cool would that setting be in an AC game?

#4 1 year ago
  5. actuallyisnotafox

i just want there to be a craken easter egg pls! >.< i giant squid just something to like it

#5 1 year ago
  6. YoungZer0

Argh, damn it, this really looks promising.

#6 1 year ago
  7. darbol37

bradk, Assassin’s Creed would not work in the present or future, 1. people play assassin,s creed to visit historical time periods, not to play something cod 23 or whatever they are on now. 2. in present day your weapons would have to be modern guns, the fun in AC is sword and knife fights, jumping off roofs to kill people, and being stealthy, you can’t do that in the modern day. Just because they could build a story around it doesn’t mean it would be good, because once you finished the story game would suck, and the story probablywould too.

#7 1 year ago
  8. bradk825

@7 Not so. If you play AC3 to the end you will know that weapons won’t be a problem to explain, the automatic rifles would be rare or not exist and you wouldn’t be able to manufacture new ones. You could write a world where most technology is lost, and the first-civ tech of the assassin’s is the best weaponry there is, which the wrist-mounted pistol and hidden blade ruling the day. I will stop short of explaining that in case anyone reading this has not played the game yet. Weapons won’t be a problem though.

I think a game centering on a 3 way struggle between the assassings, the templars and Juno would be really something, and set in the ruins of the old world you’d be able to retain all the free running and combat that made the game so great.

I’m not downplaying the historical settings, I really like them. Besides, a stolen animus here and there could even occasionally return us to historical settings during the story in order to find the locations of more PoEs.

Even better, it would be a great opportunity to offer a split story. Some games have done this in the past and people enjoy it. Why not give people the option to play the campaign as an assassin, a templar, or a Juno Loyalist? Ok, now I’m getting carried away, I see it happening, I’ll stop.

Anyway, I think they are creative enough to make the modern day thing work.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Max Payne

Problem with every AC that combat is so freaking easy !
    And with AC4 they added option to fire 4 guns at once ? lol

#9 1 year ago
  10. KineticCalvaria

Damn it, still haven’t finished 3 because it’s a buggy, boring mess of a game and a huge disappointment. But here we go again, I’m tempted to buy 4 :-(, when will it end!?

#10 1 year ago
  11. TheWulf

I don’t know. I think I’m just immune to advertising at this point, everyone gets hyped up, but I’m not sure over what.

So they finally learned how to use some colour in a half-arsed way, and whilst it’s an improvement over the mainstream’s monochrome, it still looks intentionally washed out and desaturated. And the issue here is that when you realise how sunny that place is, the light should be more vibrant, which tends to kill my immersion a bit. It looks almost like rainy Britain but with tropical aesthetics, it’s bizarre.

What’s sad is that this desaturation of colour ruins the decent aesthetics they have going on, there. This is a common problem with the mainstream — they’re afraid of colour, and this almost primal fear of colour impacts the work artists have put painstaking efforts into creating in a very negative way.

Really, just… just take a look at this. That’s real world photography, there. The colour balance is just way off, and it looks horrible. Absolutely horrible.

Watch it again and tell me you don’t see what I mean.

You’d be lying or blind to make the claim you couldn’t. I don’t understand what the industry’s fetish-like obsession with desaturation is. It’s like the film industry’s obsession with anamorphic lens flares. Hey, one popular thing did it at one point, so let’s all do it.

I hate using this word but… really. Goddamn sheep. Just because some game or other was desaturated at some point doesn’t mean every modern game has to be! This really tweaks me out. I just can’t stress how much it does. Any artist worth their salt would tell you the same.

On the upside, the sea battles look amazing. Yet that stuff was the saving grace of Assassin’s Creed III, and the only reason I even touched that game. A friend played the boring bits for me so I could just have fun on a boat. That was great. I could just ignore the animus, the airport novel quality plotline, and the painful whiteouts and just… go have fun on a ship. That was dandy. Loved it.

But then I think…

Oh.

Yeah.

This is an Assassin’s Creed game, isn’t it?

So all of this lovely stuff, the sea combat, the treasure finding, and so on… yeah? That’s all going to be weighed down by the horrible two-button Assassin’s Creed combat and movement system, which plays itself. I could just have an autofire pad setup and some tape to hold a joystick into position and probably come back to Assassin’s Creed with an 80 per cent completion ratio. I don’t approve.

Why couldn’t it be more like Mirror’s Edge? Mirror’s Edge required skill without being punishing or unfair, it was a damned good parkour game. It was how parkour is done right. Yeah, the combat sucked, but hey, at least it got movement right.

As for the combat? Why not take a page out of the book of spectacle fighters or something?

And why not have a stealth system, with decent stealth, so we’re not just killing everyone all the time?

Oh, and maybe, just maybe, hire a writer instead of having interns handle your plots and characters. Please, for my sanity, hire A writer. Singular would do. Writers, plural, would be lovely. But just A WRITER. One. One good writer. Every Assassin’s Creed game thus far has had such a painfully bad plot that you really need to turn your brain off and ignore it, or you’ll end up with a migraine to end all migraines.

The aforementioned friend pretty much said that she skipped all the cutscenes too, as they were just too painful to endure. I’ve seen some bad, bad writing in my time, but Assassin’s Creed takes the cake. And don’t tell me that games can’t have good writing, they can, because Portal. All you need to do is hire a decent writer.

You know, someone who can write. A writer. Not an intern jotting down plot points on a napkin in-between coffee runs.

See, this is my problem. If this hadn’t been an Assassin’s Creed game, then the following might have happened:

- Combat that requires more skill than holding down a button.
    - Movement that requires more skill than holding down a button.
    - A plot that isn’t so bad it would make an airport novel author blush.
    - Believable and relatable characters.
    - Graphics that aren’t horribly desaturated.

I dunno.

For me, Assassin’s Creed has ruined what could have been a great game. It’ll appeal to the mainstream, I suppose. The mainstream will eat/consume anything. Sometimes the mainstream reminds me of dogs, you have to tell them what to not eat, because they have absolutely no clue as to what’s toxic to them and what isn’t. Dogs are like living garbage disposals, and I feel the mainstream is the cultural equivalent.

So… I’m sorry? I know some will think of me as a hipster, but I’m just passionate about actually good games.

And this could have actually been good.

Bloody Assassin’s Creed curse.

#11 1 year ago
  12. TheWulf

I forgot to mention that. One of the only parts of the game that couldn’t be played with an autofire pad now can.

Hooraaaaaaaaaaay…

/thud

#12 1 year ago
  13. KineticCalvaria

@Wulf, you have too much time on your hands, I appreciate you like a bit of discussion but surely you can condense your answer a bit. A lot of us don’t read walls of text, if you want to be that detailed then write articles and be a journalist.

On a side note; Pat, hire this guy so the article can be on the right end of the page and doesn’t take up the whole comment section with 1 post. :)

#13 1 year ago
  14. Moonwalker1982

Absolutely nothing new here. I am not even going to bother with this one. Got bored of AC3 pretty early on and this….aint gonna change anything. Every goddamn year a new AC now, a goddamn shame what happened to this franchise.

#14 1 year ago
  15. TheWulf

It didn’t take me any time at all to type that. I type between 80-100WPM. You’re judging me by your standards, which aren’t mine. :P

Also, I don’t want to be hired. That would put me in a position to be surrounded by a cult of popularity. Screw that. That’s the reason I don’t do blogging.

#15 1 year ago
  16. KineticCalvaria

@15, yeah but do you read 100 per second? Cos if not you’ll fall asleep by the end of reading your comments. :)

#16 1 year ago
  17. silverstorm

They always succeed with hyping everyone up

#17 1 year ago
  18. bradk825

I agree with the lack a skill it takes to play AC3. As they went they kept dumbing down the controls. Free running became a one-button deal and they did away with the awesome hook-blade. The free running ended up becoming just a way to get around. I hope when Edward makes port the controls will be a litte more involved again. AC2 and it’s 2 direct sequels were more fun than AC3 in my opinion.

#18 1 year ago
  19. jaysea

To be honest I was sold on this game the minute they included a Todd McFarlane poster with my preorder :p but this video gets me pretty excited!

#19 1 year ago
  20. mistermogul

I’ve not bought an AC game since Brotherhood and that I got bored of half way through, though I’m definitely down for this game. It looks superb imo and I’m digging the pirate/Caribbean setting…

I hope we get more AC in this world in the future.

#20 1 year ago
  21. vicrysty

I really like the universal history. I’ve always wanted to play a game that would allow me to travel in time and meet figures in world history to see locations on earth and the time in world history. Assassin’s Creed franchise has allowed me this, so I bought every game when he appeared. I’m glad that occur each year. I hope that the next Assassins Creed to happen in ancient Rome. I did preorder for PS4 and of course Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag we look forward to occur.

#21 1 year ago