The Elder Scrolls Online PS4 and Xbox One porting “much easier” than current-gen, says Hines

Monday, 8th July 2013 14:04 GMT By Dave Cook

The Elder Scrolls Online is heading to PC, PS4 and Xbox One, care of Bethesda, but company vice-president Pete Hines has said while porting to multiple platforms from PC is much easier than it has been on PS3 and Xbox 360, it’s still not a simple task.

Speaking with OXM, Hines said, “It’s really not easy, but it’s certainly much easier. I’m not trying to insult Sony or Microsoft, but they’re high-end PCs, the way they’re architectured. Though they’re still in development, they’re not done, they’re much easier to develop for.”

However, while Hines said that both consoles are easier to code for, he added that the game’s PS4 and Xbox One builds tend to conflict and cause issues. “They don’t all play with each other,” he continued. “PC and Mac play together, but Xbox One is its own thing and PS4 is its own thing. The whole cross-platform thing is just a nightmare.”

On the game’s Xbox One development specifically Hines added, “Are we looking forward to developing on Xbox One? Yes. It’s a nice robust machine that allows to do lots of cool stuff and put more cool things in the game.”

Meanwhile, Bethesda has discussed The Elder Scrolls Online’s many dungeons, and the beasts you’ll find inside. Check out the details here.

1. Tavarish

Interesting to see how gimped experience ESO will be on PC because of console restrictions when it comes to stuff like UI design.

#1 9 months ago
  2. TheWulf

The thing is is that we’ve all seen it. It’s just another vertical grinder from what I understand. It has levels and bases itself on obsessive compulsive disorders rather than actually being fun and engaging.

It’s a very, very typical game of grinding. You go to monster [button], you kill the monster [press the button], you receive your reward [pellet]. Rinse and repeat, ad nauseum. This is why I’ve been aching for games without combat, because I’m not sure if an MMO could even do operant conditioning without the repetitive nature of combat.

I look at the research/logical puzzles/lore collectibles of The Secret World, and I look at the jumping puzzles/exploration of Guild Wars 2, and… I see a way forward. I’m just wondering how many operant conditioning chamber MMOs we have to go through before we’ll start seeing some decent ones. I won’t be playing this.

I suppose the good little hamsters will have a field day, pushing their buttons, getting their pellet, pushing their button, getting their pellet, pushing their button, getting their pellet, pushing their button, getting their pellet, without ever getting bored.

Good for them, I suppose. I’m just more self-aware and sapient than that, I’ve said before that I can see how it works, but it just does nothing for me. But I’m sure for some it’s better than sex.

Sigh.

I dunno.

This is, what, the bazillionth game like this, at this point? And with many more exactly like it just over the horizon.

#2 9 months ago
  3. deathm00n

@2 You seem to be on a crusade against this kind of MMOs TheWulf, but I don’t see what is so bad about it, like everything in life, there’s people out there who likes this kind of games, and I’m one of them, you said in another page you didn’t liked the combat of TSW, I just bought the game this weekend and the combat is way better than any other game out there of the same kind. There’s techinical limitations to MMOs, that’s why we don’t see a action gameplay well implemented. Again you mentioned the gameplay of TERA, to me that gameplay was simply boring, it failed at being action, I prefer the pseudo-action of TSW anytime over the not good action of TERA.

#3 9 months ago
  4. MFBB

Also dont like MMOS but millions of players love them to death, get addicted easily.

I know Blizzard is working on the new MMO megahit since years, which is supposed to be different from WoW.

May be they really changed something and have new fresh ideas, could be the first interesting MMO.

But I would bet it is gonne be the same boring/dull combat and other crap.

#4 9 months ago
  5. DrDamn

The PC UI won’t be rubbish because of consoles, it’ll be rubbish because Bethesda can’t do good UI design full stop.

#5 9 months ago
  6. Sajuuk-Khar

Bethesda isn’t making TESO, so I dont see why their UI design has any affect on how TESO’s is gonna turn out.

And even if they were…. both Oblivion and Morrowind had good UI.

#6 9 months ago
  7. DrDamn

Fair enough, Bethesda just publishing then. The point is console support doesn’t make a poor UI – a designer does. Can’t remember much of Morrowind UI wise, but Oblivion and Skyrim were awful in my opinion (on both consoles and PC).

#7 9 months ago
  8. fearmonkey

MMO’s tend to be very CPU driven, where console games tend to be GPU driven. As the PS4 and Xbone can’t really compare to an I7 CPU wise, I am not sure that getting a console version of an MMO is the best idea if you have a decent PC.

As MMo’s and consoles don’t have a long history, it’s a bit of a question if a console MMO can hold a large number of players for years like the PC can. As a MMO’s economy and RAID/PVP requires a large numbers of players, if a console version doesnt sell well or continue growth rather than lose players, the economy could die.

Final Fantasy on console didnt really hook me, but uits the only example going right now. Anyone playing it that can give insight?

The other question is if consoles get many more MMO’s in the future, and all those players are playing different games, will we have the players for multiple MMO’s for the game, and will they stay in the long term. The PC is a proven format for MMO longevity, the consoles not so much, and it remains to be seen if PC players would move to Console for a type of game that plays better at a desk most of the time.

#8 9 months ago