Razer boss not keen on PS3, explains lack of accessories

Monday, 8th July 2013 00:05 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Razer founder Min-Liang Tan has never been moved to produce peripherals for the PlayStation 3 because he personally doesn’t get much use out of it.

In a series of Tweets, the executive discussed his personal relationship with the PS3, and said that he lets his own preferences guide his business decisions in this regard.

“One of the big reasons why we don’t make Playstation accessories is because I don’t really spend time with mine,” he said.

Challenged on this point, Tan argued that he uses his own judgment as a gamer.

“I design stuff I actually want as a gamer rather than sell stuff to gamers for money,” he said.

Elsewhere in the discussion, Tan said he really liked InFamous and had dug up his PS3 for The Last of Us, but noted that the console is literally gathering dust in his house.

Razer is best known for its keyboards and mouse devices, but it also produces headsets, mouse pads, game pads and various accessories, including for the Xbox 360. It also recently announced the world’s thinnest gaming laptop.

Thanks, Kotaku. Twitter links: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

1. Lengendaryboss

@Brenna
    “Xbox 30?”

#1 1 year ago
  2. Biscuitpants

I have to agree with him, i never ever play my ps3 but i am currently planning on using it for the naughty dog zombie game but other then that sonys exclusives are only half as decent as MS (when they can be arsed to spend money on exclusives) nintendos and pcs, broken messes like the newest socom and infamous 2 is what put me off from buying a ps4 because they may have the best console coming soon but they sure as shit dont have the best exclusives

#2 1 year ago
  3. salarta

Pfft, I’m all for someone actually knowing and playing games and letting that knowledge drive their business decisions, but there’s a difference between using experience to make something actually useful and letting personal interests based on that experience stifle true, full development. It’s no big deal for me, I’ve never even heard of Razer until today and it’s his business to do with as he pleases, but he’s losing out on both profit and development potential by limiting his company in this way.

#3 1 year ago
  4. lexph3re

Possibly the dumbest business decision I have heard yet. For him to be a consumer of the device and a manufacturer as a peripheral creator he should be seeking new audiences and figuring out ways his product can improve the overall experience.

You don’t restrict you Company to such linear prospects when you can expand. That type of thinking is what sees a company collapse because an individual cant adapt. As for the exclusives thing thats way to open range to entertain a corporate philosophy. I find most MS exclusives to be bad but is I had a company i would still develop merchandise for that console. Its just a durr dur thing

#4 1 year ago
  5. gargus

The aspect of making more money is one thing, but he is basically saying he wont make a product for a system millions of people love simply because he doesn’t use it?

If it were me and I didn’t care about the money I would still want my company to succeed and I would want to make as many gamers happy as I could.

To be perfectly honest though razer products aren’t anything special from what Ive seen. They look flashy but Ive never demoed one and thought “Hey this thing is great, I really want to get it”.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Kyle Jackson

Don’t worry Playstation owners, you really aren’t missing out on anything except style over substance, and a lot of pointless packaging. After stupidly buying quite a few Razer products, I give a fair point.

#6 1 year ago
  7. YoungZer0

@3: Well fuck me, I actually agree with you.

#7 1 year ago