Project Cars trailer teases 2014 release, is technically impressive

Monday, 8th July 2013 08:25 GMT By Dave Cook

Project Cars developer Slightly Mad Studios has released a new trailer for its indie racer, showing off some insanely detailed tracks and real-world car designs. The game is now due in 2014, although you can play the PC alpha right now if you can’t wait that long.

Project Cars has been in development since 2011, and it’s coming to PC, PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii U next year. You can buy-in to the Steam alpha right here. Let us know if you do.

Thanks PCGamesN.

1. silverstorm

This game is the ultimate racing game. They got everything from 24 hour cycle locations, weather, GREAT wheel support and much more. The only problem is that the game hasn’t got many famous cars. Hope they change that until release.

#1 1 year ago
  2. roadkill

Not as good looking as the new Frostbite powered NFS but still pretty awesome. :) And what silver said of course.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Fin

Oculus Rift? Nice!!

#3 1 year ago
  4. Hcw87

I’m sure it’ll come to next gen consoles, because releasing it on last gen consoles during 2014 makes no sense at all, considering the only thing the game’s got going for it is insane graphics and physics. Needs next gen to take advantage of that.

#4 1 year ago
  5. SlayerGT

Video isn’t loading for me. Missing much?

#5 1 year ago
  6. Lahanas

This is not official, its another fan made trailer. They havent released any official footage yet.

#6 1 year ago
  7. SlayerGT

@6 Thanks

#7 1 year ago
  8. Keivz

Smells like vapourware. Don’t get me wrong, I love SMS and their Shift series, and I think they can do great things now that they’ve been unshackled from EA. But it seems like this thing has been in development forever. And with the next gen/Forza 5 being just around the corner, I can see this thing as flying under the radar to disappearing entirely. I hope I’m wrong.

#8 1 year ago
  9. fihar

There’s already an alpha build out there and an active supporting community. I highly doubt this will end up as vapourware.

I hope this won’t be like RacePro.

#9 1 year ago
  10. SlayerGT

@8 I wouldn’t get too excited for Forza. Sure it’ll look and possibly feel better, but they haven’t said much else about it except for it has “hundreds of cars”.

#10 1 year ago
  11. mad1723

I am part of the alpha testers since the early builds (when they were below 100 builds overall, now they are at 510, one per day). The game has improved and changed dramatically in that time. They have a bunch of features still in the works, including driver swapping for real 24-hours event, fuel consumption and tyre usage will be simulated with the official CAD info from the manufacturers. Every little thing is sumlated, they are even pondering the addition of CAD aerodynamics, if it’s possible.

This is not your average Forza/GT5. Much less forgiving, but oh so much more realistic. It’s a sim, not a sim/arcade. It’s more in the vein of iRacing, Rfactor, etc.

And it looks that good by the way! It’s not photoshopped or edited to make it look better, you can even spot some rough edges throughout the video. All of the video is ingame footage, taken with the replay camera.

#11 1 year ago
  12. sh4dow

I wonder… visuals are really important to me in a racing game. Which is why I always paid close attention to this. But a release next year? I sure hope their engine scales great on PC so that the visuals will still rival high end games at that point in time and their expectations regarding 360/PS3 sales aren’t too big…

#12 1 year ago
  13. mad1723

Believe, the visuals are already way over many games and once you get in, it’s amazing to look at.

To give you an idea, go to http://www.wmdportal.com/projectnews/project-cars-community-gallery-59/

These screenshots, as the trailers, are taken directly by players. Shows how good you can make the game look with the built-in supersampling and a bit of AA :)

#13 1 year ago