Halo “would have been better” if made today – creator

Monday, 8th July 2013 03:54 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Bungie co-founder and Halo creator Jason Jones believes the developer could do a better job of the seminal shooter if it had to do it all again – but that notorious pistol wouldn’t change.

Speaking to IGN, Jones said looking back on Halo, there are things he would change if he were to design it again now, with the benefit of years of experience.

“I’m not sure how much different it would have been. I think it would have been better. We would have done things a little bit different,” he said. “Certainly knowing what I do now from the experience, I would change a few things.”

“I’d change the pistol,” he added.

Halo’s pistol is considered over-powered by many fans – it’s something of a signature. It’s long been said that Jones sneakily changed the pistol’s power at the last minute to give himself an in-game advantage, but the developer revealed the reason was a little more prosaic.

“There was a moment towards the end of Halo 1 where we were very close to locking down. The balance on the pistol was such that both in the competitive game, but also in the solo game, it wasn’t where we wanted it to be,” he said.

“We didn’t feel comfortable actually changing the data anymore. The game was so locked down that when you changed a piece of data, gigabytes of crap had to be reprocessed. What we did feel comfortable doing was changing the code, and so I added code specifically, when the map was loaded, to change a single number on the pistol.”

As such, Jones is indeed responsible for the pistol’s balance, noting that he’d “take the blame for everything in Halo”. And he stands by it; clarifying his earlier comment, Jones said the pistol’s power isn’t the problem.

“Rather than do that change at the last minute, I would have made that change a lot earlier,” he said of his only regret.

If you’ve yet to experience the original Halo, the 343 Industries-built Anniversary Edition is available for Xbox 360.

Thanks, OXM.

1. OrbitMonkey

Fucks sake mate, who gives a shit?

You guys did good. Fucking chug a brew & flip the bird to any dweeb who brings it up.

#1 1 year ago
  2. xxJPRACERxx

I’m playing Halo 4 right now. Good game so far. I really like the TRON look, it’s really colorful!

#2 1 year ago
  3. YourColourTV

NO! It would not be better, it would be an oh-so horrible game full of scripted sequences that take away the control from you and quick time events.

#3 1 year ago
  4. For Blood

Here I come to rain on the parade.

This article is a contradiction, as thusly explained. In the last sentence you stated the pistol wouldn’t change. However in the bulk of the article he said he would change the pistol.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Brenna Hillier

@4 *raises umbrella* as the article states, he said he would change it, and then clarifies his earlier comment. The opening paragraph and bulk of the article make the final message clear enough; there’s literally one sentence to the contrary. I trust you all to read the whole article and follow basic narrative threads but if you prefer I can just post GIFs all day. It’s no skin off my nose.

#5 1 year ago
  6. For Blood

He only said he couldn’t change it in the original, he never stated that it would not be changed in a new version of it.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Brenna Hillier

@6 He says “I would have made that change a lot earlier”. He’s referring to the change that made the pistol the way it is now. He sticks by the pistol as it is.

#7 1 year ago
  8. For Blood

Well thanks for explaining it better now than earlier.

#8 1 year ago
  9. xxJPRACERxx

I want GIFs!

#9 1 year ago
  10. Hellhound30x

pistol, shmistol, bristol… who cares…

#10 1 year ago