GTA 5 gameplay video released – watch it here

Monday, 8th July 2013 16:07 GMT By Dave Cook

GTA 5′s first public gameplay reveal is live. Titled “An Introduction to Grand Theft Auto 5,” this is the first official gameplay video to the latest game in the critically acclaimed series. Enjoy it below.

GTA 5 hits PS3 and Xbox 360 September 17 worldwide.

1. YoungZer0

About damn time.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Lengendaryboss

Thats sooner than expected.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Oynox Slider

Really? I expected it in July. R* started theses gameplay video series always earlier with L.A. Noire, RDR and Max Payne 3…

#3 1 year ago
  4. undermyrules

GTA 5 hits PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 September 17 worldwide….That sounds great even for us pc gamers but you just made a mistake…i hope you do that on purpuse :D

#4 1 year ago
  5. POOP CRUSTY

Finally!

#5 1 year ago
  6. KAP

Super excited. I hope it’s an extensive gameplay footage, maybe the same 45mins play through that was shown to the media a few months ago… I hope so…

#6 1 year ago
  7. SolidGamerSnake

This is actually really suprising. As far as I remember, Rockstar have never shown actual gameplay of any 3D GTA game before the release.

#7 1 year ago
  8. silverstorm

OMG

#8 1 year ago
  9. silverstorm

@7 I think they took after the gameplay videos for RDR, which were great.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Dark

I’m so excited!!!

#10 1 year ago
  11. noamlol2

thank you rockstar for making my cock harder then diamonds

#11 1 year ago
  12. KineticCalvaria

@11, one of those 3 protagonists really doing it for you eh?

#12 1 year ago
  13. Moonwalker1982

They never used to do this and I liked it. It was part of the hype and excitement to be totally in the dark on how the game would look during gameplay and i’d rather stay it that way. So for tomorrow I have a nice media blackout planned. A bit more than two months to go, that’s nothing. :)

#13 1 year ago
  14. fearmonkey

They make a PC version, I would be severely tempted.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Eddie Rodrigues

@1 Second that.

@14 Well they sure could make one, I mean, the only game they didn’t make a PC port was RDR due to mysterious reasons (their excuse was “We don’t think it is a good idea”) and Max Payne 3 did well-ish compared to the PS3 and 360 ports.

@13 Alien: Colonial Marines. Ring any bells? Hype, excitement, pre-orders.

#15 1 year ago
  16. SplatteredHouse

@1 +1.
    I’ll see this. Basically, only because I have asked to see it.

#16 1 year ago
  17. jmg24bad

I need to see what it will play like. Although it will make the wait even more painful :(

#17 1 year ago
  18. Moonwalker1982

Ignore the video man, fight it. I know I wil, absolutely no reason to spoil things for myself.

#18 1 year ago
  19. SlayerGT

@15 If Rockstar had made Aliens that would be a different story. They don’t make shitty games. Not in opinion anyway..or the critics.

#19 1 year ago
  20. mistermogul

Oooh excite!

#20 1 year ago
  21. Kyle Jackson

Hopefully it will be as good looking as the last GTA’s mods, lol

#21 1 year ago
  22. Crussong

@21 Well.. no.. it wont. It will at least looking good as Red Dead Redemption. But since its the same engine and its running on consoles, there are no mods like icenhancer. The hardware just cant handle it.
    It WILL look good. But dont expect anything like you saw on the PC with GTA IV.

#22 1 year ago
  23. TD_Monstrous69

It sucks I’ll be working around that time, so I won’t be able to see it until I get home (or I duck out, and see if I can watch it on my phone during by break, or during lunch. Either way, can’t wait to see what this new Los Santos looks like.

#23 1 year ago
  24. mistermogul

I’m like an excited little kid at Christmas! Yay for GTA!

#24 1 year ago
  25. Neuromancer

@21 HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!11one!!

#25 1 year ago
  26. TheLastDodo

I am here dave, just as promised :)

#26 1 year ago
  27. Mike

meh – they’re late

#27 1 year ago
  28. Dave Cook

@27 no we’re not, it’s there. Refresh as the site is being rammed :D

#28 1 year ago
  29. Mike

can’t see it on R*’s site either.

#29 1 year ago
  30. TheLastDodo

This video is unavailable :(

#30 1 year ago
  31. Dark

#31 1 year ago
  32. MidlifeAxe

Well, that just looks awesome!

#32 1 year ago
  33. lubu

#33 1 year ago
  34. Mike

GTA Online. That’s news, right?

#34 1 year ago
  35. Gama_888

Holy Mother of God that looks motherfreaking awesome!!!!!
    So Overhyped for this game, will be pre-ordering now.

Quick clip of the online just at the end, it also look pretty insane!!!

#35 1 year ago
  36. Erthazus

After watching this video you look at the GTA 4 PC version…

#36 1 year ago
  37. Mike

Looks, alright. Doubt I’ll do half of it, or finish it. Characters are a bit sterotypical, but ok, I guess.

#37 1 year ago
  38. Patrick Garratt

Well. Fuck. Sold.

#38 1 year ago
  39. kingy

This looks brilliant anyone who says otherwise is a dick

#39 1 year ago
  40. Mike

Otherwise.

#40 1 year ago
  41. TheLastDodo

What. Pat. Said.

#41 1 year ago
  42. Dave Cook

I can already say I will not have time to finish this game. Ever. This makes me sad.

#42 1 year ago
  43. Erthazus

In the world of Xbox 360 and PS3 grass does not exist.

this game needs to be ported over to the next gen. Seriously.

#43 1 year ago
  44. manamana

@42 this!

@43 Dude, a world this huge and all you do is watching grass. Seriously, grow up.

#44 1 year ago
  45. Ireland Michael

Not too shabby.

#45 1 year ago
  46. kingy

@40 lol 😃…you must agree it looks like a lot of fun

#46 1 year ago
  47. DSB

Looks like they’ve learned a few things since GTA IV. It remains to be seen whether it takes several ridiculously boring missions just to get to the good ones though.

Hopefully it’ll be more Gay Tony, and less everything else.

It looks great, but looking at that video all I can see is my 360 struggling to pull it, dropping frames whenever there’s a bit of action :P

#47 1 year ago
  48. Mike

In the next-gen GTA you can sleep for 8 hours, go to the toilet, actually make your own dinner from a variety of different ingredients, read a full length newspaper with different news generated from the cloud and shoot some people in the face.

#48 1 year ago
  49. Fin

I find it hard to believe this is current-gen.

My god it looks so good.

#49 1 year ago
  50. Mike

@46 I dunno, tbh. Didn’t really see enough of how the main mechanics work: driving/shooting. I won’t go skydiving or bike riding, either. :)

/doesn’t like GTA games

#50 1 year ago
  51. ChunkyLover112

I hope this game fails, along with its devs — a bunch of flippant assholes.

#51 1 year ago
  52. CyberMarco

Man, what a trailer. If R* managed to create such a world on the PS360, I don’t even dare to imagine what they’ll deliver with next-gen consoles.

I’ll wait for the PC version, let’s hope it will be more modding-friendly. Icenhancer would be rad!!!

#52 1 year ago
  53. Ireland Michael

@49 Its looks good, but it isn’t really any sort of vast visual Improvment over GTAIV, vasoline filter notwithstanding.

It definitely doesn’t looks “next gen”, but I’ve never really had a problem with current gen graphics anyway. I think graphics have gotten to the point where creativity is far more important than visual fidelity.

#53 1 year ago
  54. Mike

@53 Surely open world is where more grunt is desired? The shaper and deeper the draw distance the better, no?

#54 1 year ago
  55. kingy

@50 I’ve had a pre order on this since it was announced so I’m a big fan I didn’t like the shooting machanics in gta4 thought it was sloppy but just from looking at the short clip u can tell its a lot better

#55 1 year ago
  56. Erthazus

The best improvement so far are shooting mechanics from Max Payne 3. It will be interesting to see if your character will have the same smooth animations as Max Payne. That would be nice.

Everything else looks just ok to me.

#56 1 year ago
  57. CyberMarco

@Erthazus

“Everything else looks just ok to me.”

Compared to GTA4? You should check your eyes maybe…

#57 1 year ago
  58. Erthazus

@57, Well, better activities sure, but what else? Diving… ok. Tennis!? =/

#58 1 year ago
  59. naffgeek

PS4 pre-order cancelled.

I’ll play this for a year and then get one.

Holy mother of Thor!!

#59 1 year ago
  60. YoungZer0

@47: I wouldn’t bet on it. As much fun as the missions were, they were pretty much out of touch with the rest of the world.

Maybe they will try to strike a balance since you have 3 very distinctive characters in your crew. I bet Trevor gets all the crazy missions.

In any case, that one mission is straight out of HEAT.

#60 1 year ago
  61. Digital Bamboo

This looks amazing.

@43 grass @ 2:02

#61 1 year ago
  62. Lengendaryboss

@38/41
    Day.One.Buy.Awesome.Video.More.Hyped.Than.Ever. :)

#62 1 year ago
  63. CyberMarco

The 3 playable characters, where you jump instantly from one to another, the random encounters ala RDR, the improved shooting mechanics from MP3, an enhanced customization of characters, cars etc ala GTA:SA, and an online MP yet to be revealed.

Yeah, it’s o-k I guess…

#63 1 year ago
  64. Mike

I agree with Erthazus, it’s the same game with a couple of different characters to give you a sense of variety (although it seems there are only two or three ways to complete a mission with the outcome being the same), a larger game world, and more activities.

Which is cool for those of you billions of people who love GTA, but for me, nah. Unless more info comes as to mission structure, checkpointing, car mechanics, shooting mechanic etc. I’m remaining unmoved.

GTA IV put me off completely.

#64 1 year ago
  65. Kabby

Looks ambitious. May run like ass on current machines.

#65 1 year ago
  66. Bomba Luigi

I don’t know…I’m not really want the next GTA. Yeah, It will be great and all, but it just don’t get me. the Last two GTA were very good Games too but I could never get into them and was overall dispointed. So my Expectetions are now not that great anymore.

I really don’t wanna say it looks bad or anything like that, because it dosn’t, but its just not looking like I could have Fun with it for the most the Time. I guess theres for every Game one Dude somewhere who don’t want it.

#66 1 year ago
  67. CyberMarco

I was comparing the trailer with GTA 4, not games with same mechanics in general.

#67 1 year ago
  68. Hcw87

It must suck to have such a shit taste in gaming as the people who don’t get excited about this game.

Me and 99% of the rest of the world will enjoy the hell out of this.

#68 1 year ago
  69. Moonwalker1982

Am I the only one that didn’t watch the video? I wanna go in totally fresh.

#69 1 year ago
  70. Clupula

I can’t wait to play this. The trailer leaves me very excited.

That said, this will be a day one buy and a week two play, considering the last two Rockstar games I bought needed a bit of patching before they didn’t make me afraid my PS3 was going to explode. Unlike Betheseda, though, Rockstar’s patches usually fix any problems there are within a couple days.

#70 1 year ago
  71. Hcw87

I thought like you, but the video didn’t really spoil anything for me. If anything, it added to the hype.

#71 1 year ago
  72. GwynbleiddiuM

3 playable characters, ALL MALE! Grand Sausagefest V.

#72 1 year ago
  73. Talkar

I’m still waiting with my preorder for this game until i know more about it. Heck, i probably won’t even preorder it, and just wait for it to drop in price, considering how bad GTA IV was to say Vice City or San Andreas.

#73 1 year ago
  74. Moonwalker1982

Yeah but the thing is..it no doubt shows things from third person and that spoils things In my book. :)

#74 1 year ago
  75. Ali

feels,looks,plays and sounds dull. IMO !

#75 1 year ago
  76. Hcw87

Just like you and your life.

#76 1 year ago
  77. Ali

@76 I am not the idiot who bothered to tag a comment he didn’t agree with.

#77 1 year ago
  78. Lengendaryboss

@75+76

#78 1 year ago
  79. Edo

Looks good for a current gen game and hopefully it WILL look that good when people actually get to play it.

#79 1 year ago
  80. DrDamn

Looks immense. Been trying to avoid getting suckered in to this one but it does look fantastic.

#80 1 year ago
  81. AmiralPatate

I’m all for side stuff to do, but stock exchange… really?

#81 1 year ago
  82. GK

people,what kind of next gen you want to find in this game? GAME IS RELEASE ON PS3 AND XSHIT 360.or yours PS3 console is next gen? maybe i dont know something? maybe i can upgrade my ps3 or xshit 360 to next gen?

game is not announce for PC,nor for PS4 or Xbox One.what kind of next gen you are trying to find here :D funny people :)

#82 1 year ago
  83. mistermogul

I hate to say it, but this looks FREAKIN AWESOME!

What the hell is the release date?

#83 1 year ago
  84. spazman

It pains me to say, I’ve come away from the 4 minutes feeling very underwhelmed. It comes across as dour and mondane and that hilly billy character isn’t as great as r seems to think he is.

#84 1 year ago
  85. Useful Pseudonym

3 way tie goty
    TLOU
    GTA V
    Bioshock Infinite
    Three very different games all at the top of their field in 1 year
    We are so v lucky especially if on ps3

#85 1 year ago
  86. Joe Musashi

The return of the king. Aww yiss.

JM

#86 1 year ago
  87. polygem

HOLY SHIT! i´m not interested in this game at all. trailer just confirmed it for me. thx for that.
    the artdesign bores the shit out of me. pass.

#87 1 year ago
  88. mistermogul

@87 – Wow!

You’re not playing it because of the art design? Doesn’t the gameplay mean anything to you?

Each to their own I guess…

#88 1 year ago
  89. polygem

i played almost all the gta´s. never became a big fan though. too much gangsta dudebro stuff going on for me. artdirection is important, sure. i wouldn´t want to spend 100 hours of gameplay in a world i don´t like to be in….and that´s exactly my problem with the series. it´s fun for a while but it gets old fast and it makes no sense to me to drive around in a videogame california and blow things up. just not my idea of a fun game. many people like to do all the side mission stuff too, to me it´s just boring in gta. i don´t like this “realism” of the series and the humor is sometimes great but often it just makes me roll eyes, just not feeling it. not saying it´s a bad series, i am able to enjoy it but i am far from hyped. overall it looks pretty boring to me. i quitted gtaIV halfway through and never returned to it. imo it was a techincally stunning, mediocore game with ultraboring artdirection. no scratch that it was just a shit game.

#89 1 year ago
  90. Lengendaryboss

Cynical, Haters and Unbelievers look :D

#90 1 year ago
  91. polygem

#91 1 year ago
  92. spazman

@ 89
    yes, gta 4 in a nutshell. the houser brother who wrote 4 with the other dude made a pigs mess of the game, and it looks form 5′s trailer the houser dude no longer has it in him to take on the task of scripting a gta game. And that aiming looked uninspiring, pistol and rifle, and the cars looked like boats as they did on 4. I’m worried. If this game doesn’t have the humour akin to vice city, it’s gonna be 4 all over again. All that change to another character is just a gimmick because the story is gonna be boring. Addendum: hopefully I will be proven wrong on all counts, here’s hoping…

#92 1 year ago
  93. onefivefive

Looks fantastic. Day one purchase for me.

#93 1 year ago
  94. mistermogul

@89 – Fair enough mate. Lucky there’s plenty of other games with different art styles eh?!

;)

#94 1 year ago
  95. SplatteredHouse

Welp, there are a few neat touches to add to the established norm. But, it’s still same-ol’. No-one better mention Driver SF near Rockstar.

#95 1 year ago
  96. xxJPRACERxx

Damn, GOTG (Game Of The Generation) for me!!! I can’t wait! I can’t wait! I LOVE EVERYTHING that I saw in this video. Man, I’m so pumped up!

Love the gfx, the style, the HUGE and DETAILED world, the characters, the humor, the animation, the shooting from MP3, customization, cars, activities… EVERYTHING!

GTA IV is one of my favorite game ever and this is what I’ve wanted (hell, it’s more than I wanted) for a sequel.

#96 1 year ago
  97. SlayerGT

I see PS3 prompts..if this is indeed PS3 footage I will be floored. Wow. Just wow. I thought for sure it was PC aiming going on. Fuck two more months! I need this.

#97 1 year ago
  98. silkvg247

Lost interest the second I saw they’d made the effort to make three playable characters and not one of them female. Seriously. Not even one in three. Fuck them.

Ironically though a female cast voice over. Nice to know our place.

Absolute cunts.

Your games are a disgrace and so are you.. roll on SR4.

If nobody understand my drama, imagine if it was three girls.. fuck you and your gender right? Fuck you and wanting to feel immersed.

#98 1 year ago
  99. spazman

@ 98
    excellent rant, r should have included a female lead, maybe gta 6 or dlc, you never know.

#99 1 year ago
  100. silkvg247

@99 Thing is, I’ll get accused of being feminist and all that shit and I’m honestly not. Put it this way, the only.. ONLY game I have ever seen focus on a female heavy cast is FFX-2.. and even then I found myself a little weirded out thinking how it was female-biased. Though it’s arguably the only female-biased game in existence, that was still my natural thought process. No male orientated game triggers that response in anyone… and maybe it should. That is all.

#100 1 year ago
  101. Lengendaryboss

@Slayer
    Rockstar confirmed footage was on PS3.

@SilkVG247
    Is it really that bad? There could be female supporting characters like Michael’s sister/wife?

#101 1 year ago
  102. TD_Monstrous69

GTA V, more like GTA legacy. Because this looks like Rockstar has just about pulled out everything from their long lineage of games of this past gen, and sticking it into GTA V; the structure/camera angles of GTA IV and Red Dead Redemption, the gun-play of Max Payne 3, and the driving of Midnight Club, while in the meantime, adding some new gameplay and narrative possibilities. Can’t wait.
    Also, @98 not to sound dis-compassionate, or white-knighting, for I have sympathy for what you’re saying, women do need a more prominent role in the games, from all aspects. But at the same time, I’m not really seeing what it is Rockstar has done wrong.

#102 1 year ago
  103. silkvg247

@101 it isn’t omg start nuclear war bad, but it’s pretty shitty that out of 3 main chars one can’t be female, yeah. Or at least offer some customization such as the most basic one ie gender.

@102 they are doing nothing wrong at all just like BF4 does “nothing wrong”. ie exclude one of the only two genders on the planet as a playable option / valid avatar.

#103 1 year ago
  104. Phoenixblight

We knew that is about 3 male characters a long time ago. At this point its crying over spilt milk.

#104 1 year ago
  105. silkvg247

@104 I didn’t follow it like that, because I like to follow shit later on or closer to due date. Not that it matters, cos what.. I would have seen this exact same bullshit last year and commented to rockstar that omg perhaps we should consider girls play too.. yeah, I am sure it would have made some astronomical difference.

#105 1 year ago
  106. monkeygourmet

Your complaining about stifling creativity in the Scribblenauts thread, yet you seem to want to dictate Rockstars vision for this game?

Strange…

If Rockstar wants to make a game with 3 male protagonists, what’s the problem?

If it turns out to be a shitty game, that would be more of a issue…

You come across as having a bit of a chip on your shoulder sometimes.

#106 1 year ago
  107. silkvg247

@106 then why do I sing the absolute praise of Saints row? eh?

Best games ever. Because they cater to us all.

#107 1 year ago
  108. Phoenixblight

THey are the developers if they want to make a game about 3 male characters robbing a bank that is their call. If you want a game that you play as a female in a open world go grab saints row. They are the developers they make whatever the hell they want. There are plenty of other games to fulfill your needs if not go make one, prove Rockstar wrong.

“Because they cater to us all.”

I disagree. THe games that try to cater to everyone seem to be the weakest. Jack of all trades and Master of None. That is one of the reasons why Saints Row series and TES always felt weak on gameplay because it tries to go after everything.

#108 1 year ago
  109. SlayerGT

@105 You should at least wait till the game cheapens and get it for the multiplayer, sure to be plenty avatar options.

#109 1 year ago
  110. monkeygourmet

Because the character in Saints Row is a blank canvas. At no point do you really feel connected with their plight because its not that heavily story led…

My Saints Row character is ‘Larry David’ from Curb your Enthusiasm… At no point do I play Saints Row games for the character development or story. It’s pure mindless fun.

Maybe you should be angry at Saints Row devs. How dare they make a game allow you to have a female character yet it has little or no bearing on the story?! How insulting, what a token gesture…

Anyway joking aside, Rockstar have written this story, it’s their choice of protagonists. It looks like they offer different perspectives and gameplay attached to their sub-stories. I really don’t see your problem in anyway whatsoever.

#110 1 year ago
  111. OrbitMonkey

@110, well you wouldn’t would you. You don’t have a vajayjay ;)

#111 1 year ago
  112. silkvg247

@108/110 Alright then, look at it this way.. I could connect to my SR character more than any other character in a GTA-esque game. Because I could be female. Now.. if I could have the advanced storytelling of GTA in my avatar too? Man.. orgasmic gameplay.. yet to see it. You take it for granted.

I’ve only ever had it in hmm.. Phantasy star. The original.

#112 1 year ago
  113. monkeygourmet

I just don’t understand. My girlfriend is pretty damn stoked to play the game. She absolutely doesn’t care if their isn’t a female lead as your playing a story that someone else has created.

As long as the story is good, and gameplay is fun, what’s the problem?

I think you need to split story driven games with set Charecters with more RPG driven customisable games like Skyrim or the aforementioned Saints Row.

As much as you could change your clothes, GTA games have always had a ‘set’ player choice.

‘You don’t get it, you just don’t get it.. because you are used to being spoon fed your own gender 99.9% of the time.’

I think you need to understand you maybe worrying about something that is very personal to you. I’m not even talking about gender choice in games.

It’s unfair to assume that just because I don’t share your view its because I’m in the lucky percentage that gets catered for. Very naive attitude their Silk.

#113 1 year ago
  114. absolutezero

What if I can’t connect to a female avatar? What then? What if one of three characters is a lady and I can not connect? Do I just have to deal with it? I guess I do. :(

Even though I can because I have the power of empathy!

Huzzah I can play as whatever the fuck I want including a floating gun and a lizard! Even a female lizard! FUCK. :o

#114 1 year ago
  115. Lengendaryboss

I’m guessing you like games like Tomb Raider, Saints Row, Remember Me and TLOU. Nothing wrong with that at all.

#115 1 year ago
  116. silkvg247

Look I am just saying in general this is shit guys, it’s 2013, they finally decide omg we need versatility in our script.. so we will have many personas.. and what, even though it’s proven now that girls play too, we still, WE STILL can’t have girls as awesome main characters. It’s a depressing standard to be set by one of the so called TOP gaming franchises. That is all.

#116 1 year ago
  117. silkvg247

@114 omg welcome to 99% of games in my world?!

#117 1 year ago
  118. absolutezero

Its a non-issue. They wrote a story, that story has three main characters all of whom happen to be male. Not through some horrible conspiracy against female players but because it fit the story.

I mean sure if you seriously can not go ahead and play a single thing without there being a playable main character of your gender, then fine go right ahead.

Sure they could have changed up one of the main characters to be a female, that would have been an easy model swap. It would however upset the dynamic of the three main characters and the relationships between them. I mean would you only play as the female character if there was one? and miss out completely on the other strands because they happen to be male?

#118 1 year ago
  119. silkvg247

@115 TLOU female chara pre-scripted good shooter, if I were younger a nice role model, certainly a step in right direction yes.

Tomb raider reboot fucking hell.. its ok but new Lara feels devoid of character. Really. Biggest shock moment was her nearly getting raped or hmm.. impaled. – way to exploit female vulnerability.

Saints row.. yeah.. the only gender neutral sandbox game in existence. The ONLY one. Hence always I will sing it’s praises. THQ or whatever branch of THQ made SR appeal to us all.. THANK YOU!

#119 1 year ago
  120. absolutezero

@silk :D Thats every game for me, regardless of main character gender, or species or whatever. I guess.

Aliens are cool. I kinda like robots.

#120 1 year ago
  121. silkvg247

@118 yes darling, they all happen to be male, pure coincidence.

#121 1 year ago
  122. absolutezero

Really?

We’re doing this now are we. Well alright GL HF!

#122 1 year ago
  123. silkvg247

@122 sorry but the fact you think it’s a coincidence that they go with an all male cast is absurd. They cater to the majority.

#123 1 year ago
  124. monkeygourmet

And of course the huge illegal immigrant majority, like in GTA 4…

Edit…! :)

Remember, you jumped to the defensive of the pushy ‘girlfriend’ character the other day in the GTA 5 screenshot thread… Then it turned out that was his sister…

My point being…:

You seem touchy as hell around this subject at the same time to trying to distance yourself from feminism accusations… Often jumping to conclusions or seeing things that aren’t even there…

Hence why I said made its more of a personal thing? Not that it’s any of my business obviously. But then, you did decide to post your rants.

#124 1 year ago
  125. silkvg247

@124 the male portion of said community were X and the female were Y. Fill in the blanks. Go on.

Let me spell it out.. did any single one of the females in any of the so called represented ethnicities point a gun at your balls and put you in your place? No, of course not.. because they are all whores.

#125 1 year ago
  126. monkeygourmet

When did the reverse of that happen? My GTA story memories are a bit patchy to say the least.

#126 1 year ago
  127. Phoenixblight

Go make your own female Open WOrld. Developers do not need to cater to every whim of every gender, race, what have you. If you feel like its needed go make your own female protagonist GTA. They are the creators if they wanted to make a game about a pink alien who hate blue humans that is their business and we have no right to dictate what they should or shouldn’t do. If you don’t like it, don’t buy it. Simple.

#127 1 year ago
  128. monkeygourmet

She can’t because its a male dominated industry and impenetrable to females.

Especially females with crazy ideas like making an open world game with a female protagonist like AC Liberation. It just doesn’t happen…

#128 1 year ago
  129. silkvg247

@127 there are ONLY TWO GENDERS. TWO. TWO! TWO genders.. on the planet. You want to sub type them further, that’s your call. Me, I just want to get half the fucking planet recognised. Insane I know.

@128 You wanna bring two or three female focused games into play that’s fine, but what does it prove? That there are some games where we’re equal? Mirrors edge for example? It isn’t good enough, you aren’t putting the shoe on the other foot my dear.. if you were, you’d realise that for each mirrors edge you have a billion prostitutes in GTA.

#129 1 year ago
  130. monkeygourmet

And for each ‘Catherine’, you have a million ‘FPS’s'…

Great example of strong female representation.

#130 1 year ago
  131. OrbitMonkey

@129, I understand your frustration, I do.

But Rock star couldn’t write a decent female character story arc if they tried. They specialise in male wish fulfilment, trying to think outside that box would hurt them.

So, please. Stop trying to hurt Rock Star. They provide for immasculated men everywhere.

#131 1 year ago
  132. SlayerGT

^ Give it a rest guys. She likes GTA that’s all. Just wants more out of it. I love Ace Combat but hate that they “rebooted” it..same thing.

#132 1 year ago
  133. monkeygourmet

Well… Silk started a rant fom the off:

(98)
    ‘Ironically though a female cast voice over. Nice to know our place.

Absolute cunts.

Your games are a disgrace and so are you.. roll on SR4.’

(Kinda harsh dont you think?)

She also complained about the ‘hard done by girlfriend’ character the other day which is proven to be the guys sister.

Hence why I said she may be entering into things with a ‘preloaded’ viewpoint, that’s all..

#133 1 year ago
  134. SlayerGT

@133 You have a point. I think it may be a bit of both.

To your point I think she’s pulling that “card” because she’d just like to to appeal to her more than it does. That’s all.

#134 1 year ago
  135. monkeygourmet

:D

#135 1 year ago
  136. Biscuitpants

wasnt even hyped until now, fuck

#136 1 year ago
  137. silverstorm

That’s enough of your rant woman

#137 1 year ago
  138. DSB

You’d be hard pressed to argue with the facts on this one.

The women in GTA games tend to be either bimbos, bitches or damsels, or any combination of the three.

And even though they change protagonist with every game, you don’t have a single woman.

I’m not saying they should be checking boxes, but I’d say the Housers have a number of pretty clear biases when it comes to making up their stories.

#138 1 year ago
  139. Clupula

@137 – Dude, I totally disagree with her on this one, but don’t be acting like an abusive husband shutting up the womenfolk. They shouldn’t be changing their vision to accommodate PC checkpoints, but that doesn’t mean she doesn’t have the right to complain if she’s upset about it. She’s a person and the fact that you call her, “woman,” makes it sound like you’re about to give her the back of your hand for speaking up, and that’s kinda fucked.

#139 1 year ago
  140. xxJPRACERxx

I never hit a woman with my hand or fist. I hit them with my dick and they like it! GTA is made for me baby!

edit: JK in case this wasn’t obvious…

#140 1 year ago
  141. silverstorm

@139 If she were a dude i would say “That’s enough of your rant man” and nobody would give a shit. And calling Rockstar cunts just because there is not a female lead is not even an opinion, it’s an attack.

#141 1 year ago
  142. Rafa_L

Wow, lot of hate here.

Is it silly or small? sometimes our wishes are, but the more the better.

Two things, not about games, but about comments that annoys me. “If you don’t like it make one yourself” simply stupid. “If she were a dude…” It’s not the same, it’s not the same for white/black, men/woman, gay/straight, etc. If you are a mid 20s straight american white male you may have been led to believe the world belongs to you, but that’s not a right, get over it.

#142 1 year ago
  143. Phoenixblight

“I understand wanting diversity in games, it’s not even about “half the population” it’s about each of us gamers wanting to feel included and represented in things we like.”

The world is not made of pixie dust and wants. The developers(Rockstars) went with what they feel the story should be about that is their right and their choice, no need to attack Rockstar for doing what they want to do. You can simply not buy the game. THere is no need to attack the developer for using their creative freedom. Its like getting pissed at Michael Bay for not making a Romantic Comedy.

“”If you don’t like it make one yourself” simply stupid. ”

Nothing stupid about it. SHe is a developer or at least claims to be one. why not? There are plenty of indies making games and throwing them on kickstarter because they feel there is a market for it.

#143 1 year ago
  144. SlayerGT

@Phoenix Thank you. It just speaks to how far reaching and enjoyable their games are to play, that folks would get so upset about something like “wanting more of a connection from a game”.

They’re damned if they do and they’re damned if they don’t. Folks would just find something else to bitch about. Like The Last of Us. On TWO of my favorite podcast, listening to people I respect, the game was called out for having “doors that wouldn’t open, just textures”. I’m like are you fucking kidding me!? :D I’m of the mind, when it comes to games, that you can’t please everyone..do what you want. It is art.

#144 1 year ago
  145. Mjorh

Dunno what 2 say , its rocksolid n u can’t find flaws or sth !
    Funny dialogue
    Natural reactions n animations
    Diversity in gameplay
    Good-looking graphics
    We shall beat another masterpeice like GTASA!

#145 1 year ago
  146. M. K.

Didn’t even know there was gameplay footage incoming, just checked on facebook and there it is.

I couldn’t care less about it, since GTA4 was pure crap (besides the nice city). But this, wow. I mean, there was no doubt that R* is going to create a kickass world again, but this time, even the gameplay like driving and shooting looked a lot better than it was in GTA4 or RDR.

I’m still more looking forward to SR4 because it doesn’t have to convince me any more, I know what I’m going to get on release, but GTA5 is definitely on my list for now.

#146 1 year ago
  147. Exzeerex

Where’s my motherfuckin’ Agent, huh Rockstar?
    The PS3 exclusive announced in June 2009 remember?

Somehow this video put me off, even though I was hyped to begin with. Will buy it either way though since it’s a GTA.. And regardless of opinion they always have some sort of quality.

#147 1 year ago
  148. Gekidami

“there are ONLY TWO GENDERS. TWO. TWO! TWO genders..”

But anyway, game looks damn good, to bad i wont be playing it if there isnt a ported next gen version.

#148 1 year ago
  149. CyberMarco

From monkey,

“She can’t because its a male dominated industry and impenetrable to females.”

Isn’t the same situation with most big-budget movies now? I mean the same thing can be said for making movies about strong macho, going-rambo men helping/protecting yet another fragile/defenseless girl.

I can see there could be a problem about it, but I think it’s how the world works. Good thing there is always an alternative, in you case Silk SR4.

P.S. I’ll be damned, I can’t remember when was the last time I saw a healthy debate on the Internet, especially on VG24/7. Kuddos to you guys and girls for keeping a level in the discussion. :)

#149 1 year ago
  150. polygem

it´s a supersexist dudebro series. many will argue it just plays with cliches n´stereotypes, not taking things serious and all that…that´s what makes gta so unique and funny. some even argue it´s a parody of our society and it´s ingenious because of that. you can look at it from that point, some well educated adults might be able to see that – but look at the majority of 16 to 25ish youngsters playing these games. to them it´s all about being a cool gangsterbro going to the stripclub and dating prostitutes. money is very important. expensive clothes and cars, women are just like the cars, if you got the cash you got the hot babes…ughhh. now fix that qualified social education worker.

#150 1 year ago
  151. xxJPRACERxx

@148 “This is really offensive to cultures that consider there to be more than two genders…”

WTF?!? What are the other genders? Male, female…. shemale?

@150 “if you got the cash you got the hot babes…”

That’s true.

#151 1 year ago
  152. silkvg247

“I think your anger at Rockstar is mildly misdirected. I believe there were lots of whores in Saints Row? That’s okay because you can be a female charecter right?

Great example of strong female representation.”

Whored mode is great. Have you played it? Waves of ridiculous enemies, not just female whores. Gimps. Sausage men. I dunno.. it’s just bat shit crazy. How can you offend anyone when you offend everyone? Makes us all equals.

It’s called whored as a play on words by the way.

I did come on a bit strong with my language against rockstar but I’m sure they can take it and have heard worse. The thing is, it just dissapointed me *that* much to see the same shit, again, in 2013, with the next gen on the horizon again. It’s like nothing ever changes. Alienating women is awesome! It’ll really help the industry mature.

GTA can have all the whores is wants, if only it also had a strong female character to offer some ying to the yang – to recognise females aren’t just walking sex buckets. Would be cool.

#152 1 year ago
  153. Djoenz

I dont know many females that like to play GTA tbh.
    I will definitely buy this awesome game.

Doing MP with the lads on PSN :)

#153 1 year ago
  154. OrbitMonkey

^ You’d need to leave your basement, if you want to know more females.

;)

#154 1 year ago
  155. Rafa_L

@143 I didn’t said I agree with her, i haven’t even read most of her comments, I didn’t attack Rockstar, though they’re not one of my favorite developers, I was just saying the more people interested in a game the better.

The reason I think that kind of comment is stupid is because then we couldn’t have opinions, reviews, critics, etc, we just have to accept everything if we can’t do better. I don’t know or care if silk is a developer, we have the right to have an opinion and want more from a game as big as GTA, who isn’t done by indies or one programmer, it’s a group of people, and how many individuals in the company have the power to give a final say is how things are going to be? So yeah, I think saying “if you don’t like it do it better” is a shallow argument.

#155 1 year ago