Dark Souls 2′s open world may let players tackle tasks in any order

Monday, 8th July 2013 12:14 GMT By Dave Cook

Dark Souls 2 director Yui Tanimura has explained why the games open world approach will present even more freedom than the original game, with a view to letting players tackle areas and tasks way above their level if they feel brave enough.

Here’s an example: Remember how in Dark Souls you had to ring two bells to open the entrance to Sen’s Fortress? In Dark Souls 2, Tanimura hopes to do away with those requirements, meaning you can walk right into hard areas without having to approach easier areas first. You’ll probably be murdered in moments, but it’s nice to have a choice.

Speaking with Digital Spy, he said, “Freedom of exploration is something we want to prioritise for Dark Souls 2, even more so than Dark Souls 1. In Dark Souls 1, you were able to travel to several areas, but hopefully for Dark Souls 2, there you have more freedom to explore throughout the game.

“We realise in Dark Souls 1 there were some certain orders, like ringing the bells or going to Anor Londo, which is not necessarily a bad thing. In Dark Souls 2, we’re hoping we can provide more freedom so things don’t have to necessarily be done in a certain order. We’re hoping that if the player tries hard enough, or are willing enough, they could even start halfway through the game, depending on how willing or how brave they are.”

He added that the ultimate goal is to life a curse off the player, but added, “You won’t have to follow a certain line, it will be unique for all players, I think. It might be an interesting aspect that players will be able to enjoy a little bit more than Dark Souls 1.”

So it seems those rumours of Dark Souls 2 being linear were bollocks then. Praise the sun!

Also, Brenna played Dark Souls 2 last week and confirmed that yes, it’s bloody hard. Get the details here.

Thanks OXM.

1. YoungZer0

You can get a lot of stuff done before you decide to ring the bells. So in a way Dark Souls 1 was already open world.

On my first playthrough I went straight to Blighttown.

#1 1 year ago
  2. The_Red

FUCK YES. While it was possible to get to late parts early, I was hoping for a true open world RPG that DOES NOT stop us from experiencing super challenging parts that were not meant for our current level.

See that Bethesda? That’s what true role playing is about. Not having “scalable enemies” and other craps that you used to ruin the likes of Oblivion.

#2 1 year ago
  3. noamlol2

so the new blighttown/vally of defielment is optinal now?

*joy&hurra emote*

#3 1 year ago
  4. redwood

@3 yes now you can choose from a variety of valleys of defilement and torture! “pick your poison” literally

#4 1 year ago
  5. GwynbleiddiuM

Blighttown was certainly the worst bit for me, simply because it was too fucking dark to see where you set foot, the amount of times I fell off the narrow as fuck platforms while dodging enemy attacks was just depressing. And by the way point me to the direction of acquiring a bloody sun-light maggot helm. I need that right off the start.

#5 1 year ago
  6. OnionPowder

@1 Going straight to blighttown means you are just going straight to the southern bell. You’re still cut off from the majority of the game until both bells are rung.

@5 Your best bet would be the Cast Light spell which you can get to pretty early in the game.

#6 1 year ago
  7. YoungZer0

@5: It wasn’t just the darkness though, the contrast was simply too high as soon as you entered the area. It looked artificial and simply shitty. Let’s not even mention the framerate.

Also the sun-light maggot helm can be traded with Snuggly the Crow for the Old Witch’s Ring.

@6: I remember seeing a Youtube video especially dedicated for this topic. The player could do a lot before he needed to ring the bells. Just because you’re running towards the bells, doesn’t mean you have to ring them.

Areas that are open for you to visit and possibly complete:

Nothern Undead Asylum
    Undead Burg
    The Depths
    Blighttown
    The Great Hollow
    Ash Lake
    Darkroot Garden
    Darkroot Basin
    Valley of Drakes
    New Londo Ruins
    And a lot more

#7 1 year ago
  8. MFBB

It looks fine for me.

But it also depends a lot on your settings PS3/PC Monitor/TV.

Games are not calibrated for a universal standard.

I often have to change settings when I switch games or they would look bad.

Sucks they dont want to do a PS4 port, just a digital download (no graphic improvement needed) would be fine.

#8 1 year ago
  9. OnionPowder

There really isn’t much to accomplish down in Blighttown besides the bell right? I mean you have access to the Great Hollow and Ash Lake, but those areas are pretty much 100% optional. Plus if you take down Queelag but don’t ring the bell you can get to the Ceaseless Demon but are shutdown by the Orange Fog near the entrance to Lost Izalith.

The only major zone that you can complete out of order is New Londo Ruins really. If you go through the Valley of Darkes and reach Darkroot and take down Sif early you could theoretically kill the 4 Kings before ringing a bell right?

#9 1 year ago
  10. YoungZer0

Aye.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Panipal2005

You might have access to The Great Hollow, but you sure don’t have access back out. Go down there without the lordvessal and you’re stuck down there my son.

#11 1 year ago
  12. OnionPowder

@11 Partially true. You could just not rest at any of the bonfires.

EDIT: Actually there are ladders out.

#12 1 year ago
  13. YoungZer0

@11: What are you talking about? I made it out of the Great Hollow without any problems.

Okay, a lot of problems, but without the lordvessel.

#13 1 year ago
  14. stretch215

Yeah… I just started playing dark souls. It’s taken some time to get used to the controls, but I’m really enjoying it. I’ve died numerous times of course, but mostly because I was in a rush. Brilliantly brutal game.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Clupula

I’ve been playing it on and off for a year. I hope to have it beaten sometime before Dark Souls 2 comes out.

Just got the Lordvessel and am currently in New Londo, which is kinda funny to me, because when I first started the game, New Londo was the first place I went to. That wasn’t smart and cost me a lot of Transient Curses. But now, 27 hours later, I’m doing quite well there.

#15 1 year ago