Xbox Live 2013 update: public beta registration open now, scraps MS Points

Friday, 5th July 2013 10:11 GMT By Dave Cook

Microsoft is now accepting applications for Xbox Live’s major 2013 update, which will see MS points scrapped. Find out how you can get involved here.

Major Nelson announced the beta trial on his blog, and confirmed that participants will be able to buy products over Xbox Live using real currency, rather than Microsoft Points.

Microsoft will post a beta FAQ here later today, but for now you can register for a place in the limited beta trial by hitting the Xbox Beta Program tile on the 360′s dash today.

The tile will appear across 41 territories at some point today, excluding Japan. Keep checking back if it hasn’t emerged in your area yet.

Will you be getting involved? let us know below.

1. Aullah

No MS POINTS means other regions will have to pay MORE for the same thing.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Docker Al

A word of warning for those who are tempted to join the beta. You should know that updates are frequent; up to 3 or more per week. And when they occur you will be unceremoniously kicked out of whatever game you are playing mid game. Multiplayer included. I tried it once. Never again.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Bam007

I would sign up, if it was available from where they are advertising it!

#3 1 year ago
  4. TheLastDodo

Something like Far Cry Blood Dragon is £11.99 on PSN, it’s 1200 on Xbox which means you can buy for £9.99 in UK, that means you’re paying 20% extra on PSN, same goes with any CoD DLC, content on PSN (in UK at least) regularly costs more than it’s XBLA equivalents.

Think XBLA games and DLC will defo see a price increase when the switch is made to real money.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Bam007

Okay, it’s finally available under the ‘home’ tab.

#5 1 year ago
  6. ps3fanboy

good luck with being the guinea pig for teh micro$hafts, LOL!

#6 1 year ago
  7. Tecknologee

#6 Ugh, GTFO fanboy. Go comment on your Gaystation Articles.

#7 1 year ago
  8. bradk825

@2 thanks, I was thinking about doing it, not now. I appreciate the heads up.

I wonder when the plan is for it to go live? I had been thinking MS Points weren’t being scrapped before November but who knows.

I am just hoping you can still carry a balance. I would rather use prepaid CC to add stuff to my account and buy games later than use my actual credit card. After what happned to PS3 I didn’t want to put my CC out there.

#8 1 year ago
  9. noamlol2

#1 i strongly agree with you

with european MS points it didn’t matter if you lived in germany or UK or anywhere else

800 european MSP were 800 MSP no difference what so ever

microsoft’s points system were the best money converstion for eurpean folk

FUCK M$

#9 1 year ago
  10. bradk825

@9 I like MS Points just because of the way I could add them to my account and use later instead of putting a CC on my account, but apparently I was in a strong minority there. A lot of people complained about MS Points and wanted this change. I am guessing none of them are from Europe though.

As a matter of fact when a use a prepaid card to renew my Live, it’s tax free, because it’s a gift card technically. But my friend just renewed his with a credit card, he had to pay the same amount, but also 13% sales tax.

#10 1 year ago
  11. therealjdj

@10 I also like the points. You could always find a deal to get points cheaper than xbox advertised. Will that still work? Probably not. Seems like now $20 on xbox will be $20 no matter where you get them from…

#11 1 year ago
  12. JavelinX

I like using M$point first because you can find them cheap, second because I’m afraid using my credit card on internet, only paypal.

#12 1 year ago
  13. aprotosis

MS just cant win it seems. The Internet has rallied against MSPoints since their inception and now that they are finally doing away with them and people complain the other way. Not saying either side of this is right or wrong, just… damn…

@12 I imagine they will have value cards you can buy like you could for MSPoints

#13 1 year ago
  14. ChunkyLover112

#13: What internet have you been on? MS has already won.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Bowser

Points would have been fine IF you didn’t have to buy them in bulk. I dunno how many times I’d pass on a game because I needed 80 points or so to buy it and Microsoft only gave me the option to buy much more than that. Having leftover points is a ride that never ends, which makes me wonder what’ll happen to points we have remaining now. Converted to dollars in our account or gone forever?

I’m glad Nintendo got rid of points with 3DS and Wii U. I wish they’d update the original Wii for that. I’ve passed on so many SNES games I’d have gladly paid the 8 bucks for because you can only buy points in ten-dollar amounts so I would’ve had to have dropped forty dollars and bought four more games just to break even.

#15 1 year ago
  16. monkees19

Yea, I want to know what’s gonna happen with my current stockpile of MS points??

#16 1 year ago