Survey finds average UK gamer is 35, male, plays for almost 3 hours a day

Thursday, 4th July 2013 13:08 GMT By Dave Cook

Gamer social networking site Pixwoo has polled 2,000 UK residents to determine the country’s average gamer demographic. According to the results, you’re all 35-year-old men.

The results suggest that the average UK gamer is a 35-year-old married man, with yearly income of £23,000 and who plays games for 2.5 hours five days a week, each week. I’m presuming none of these people have kids.

Pixwoo’s poll also found that both males and females spend the same time playing games and that the average gamer also owns two consoles or more, around 18 titles and takes around a month to complete each game. I’m presuming they’re either rubbish at games, or all 18 titles are from the Disgaea series.

The average gamer also fights with their partner over their gaming hobby twice a week, with some 15% of people saying they’ve broken up over the amount of time spent gaming.

44% of the 2,000 people asked said they will buy either a PS4, Xbox One or new PC in the next year. The Wii proved to be the most popular console among participants, follows by PS3 and Xbox 360.

What do you make of the above? Does this sound like you? If not, then congratulations you’re not average.

Thanks CVG.

1. Biscuitpants

why wouldnt they have kids?

#1 1 year ago
  2. OwnedWhenStoned

Because they won’t have 2.5 hours a day to play games if they have kids.

#2 1 year ago
  3. silkvg247

Unless they played with the kids or had them on their lap at the time.. that’s what I’d do :p

They got my age right anyhow. Scary!

#3 1 year ago
  4. OwnedWhenStoned

I’m older!

#4 1 year ago
  5. Biscuitpants

@2 yes they could

#5 1 year ago
  6. Dave Cook

@1 What #2 said.

#6 1 year ago
  7. CyberMarco

Yeah, probably the average age of gamers is 30+, but those who influence it the most IMHO are kids and teenagers, who have more time to spend on gaming and the likes.

#7 1 year ago
  8. OwnedWhenStoned

@5 Almost all of my friends have kids, all of them report having “no damn time to ourselves” and the guy that has 2 barely has “time to wipe his ass”

#8 1 year ago
  9. stretch215

That’s way too much time every day. I might get 3hrs to play if I’m off work and my kids are away. Shit, even before I had kids I couldn’t play that much. I have too much living to do.

#9 1 year ago
  10. DrDamn

Depends on the age of the kids. Just getting my 5 year old used to various controls (which Lego City Undercover is very good for – third person, camera, driving all in one kid friendly package and a cracking game to boot). Younger kids would just leave you with post bed-time hours to play.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Digital Bamboo

I’m younger, & I play more. Does that mean I win?

But, I’m not of the UK, & don’t enjoy the abundant access to games in my native tongue enjoyed there. So I guess, in that regard, I lose.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Golden

@2 I’m 35 have two great girls and play what would equate to 2.5 hours a day over 5 days. I play from 23:00hrs.

#12 1 year ago
  13. OwnedWhenStoned

Well I’m 40, in a relationship but live alone and there’s no way I’d play for that amount of time.

The weathers too nice in Germany for that!

#13 1 year ago
  14. actuallyisnotafox

survey? doesnt that mean ‘that only the people who answer determine the outcome?’ so if this is based on a website then only the people who visit that website and take this survey count (35 year olds) that hell the average gamer might be 12 but they didnt visit that website, so… :p

#14 1 year ago
  15. ps3fanboy

and yet here we are complaining about 8 hours main story of games being to short… most of you don’t have time to play 8 hours. these kids that play games dont give a rat ass about games length, because of short attention span. so who the hell is doing this complaining about games being to short?, i always wondered about that.

#15 1 year ago
  16. diggidy

I just play when most people go to bed, who needs more than 6 hours of sleep a night eh?

#16 1 year ago
  17. T_L_T

That pretty much describes me word for word…

#17 1 year ago
  18. Ireland Michael

@2 Though difficult, its far from impossible. Unless you have a full time job, in which case I can understand the difficulty.

@Dave “…or all 18 titles are from the Disgaea series.”

Christ, I *wish* I could finish those games in under a month.

Life… being… sucked away…
    by ever growing numbers…
    must… resist… uuuuurrrrggghh…

#18 1 year ago
  19. YoungZer0

@13: What part of germany do you live? The weather here in the north keeps changing every second.

#19 1 year ago
  20. OwnedWhenStoned

@19 Just south of Frankfurt. It’s been nice here!

#20 1 year ago
  21. Fin

35-year old, married, but income is only £23k? Playing 2.5 hours/night?

Nah, this doesn’t add up.

#21 1 year ago
  22. YoungZer0

@20: Lucky you. :P

#22 1 year ago
  23. ArithonUK

@OwnedWhenStoned – your friends are making excuses. When the children are younger, they are in bed by 7pm so you can get an hour or so gaming while the soaps are on. Then you still have evening left for “quality time” before lights out.
    As they get older, you frequently find yourself playing games WITH the children – Command & Conquer, Team Fortress 2, Portal, Minecraft etc.
    So, 2.5 hours per day is easily possible (when taken as an average) for a parent, without neglecting the children or the wife.
    The survey is flawed because of how it was conducted. Better to say “Average householder who plays games is 35 and male”. Hold the same survey at the school gates and you’ll get a different answer!

A better attempt would be to conduct the survey online, in gaming magazines, at schools and in homes. At least TRY to cover a broad spectrum.

#23 1 year ago
  24. YoungZer0

@23: Yeah, I can confirm the older part.

Though I’m not a father myself, my godchild is 8 years old now and whenever he comes over I usually show him some games. Sometimes I go to his home and play some LEGO games with him.

I fucking hate LEGO games.

#24 1 year ago
  25. OwnedWhenStoned

@23 – He’s got one young and one older. Worst of both worlds for gaming perhaps…

#25 1 year ago
  26. Ireland Michael

@24 I bloody love LEGO games. Your kid is awesome.

#26 1 year ago
  27. _LarZen_

Seams like a fit for me and most people I know that play games.

But non of my friends play that much but we would have NO problem playing 2.5h each day even with children. They gotta sleep some time right…rather early in most cases.

And about 1 month to complete a game seams to fit most of my friends and myself. We DO have a life outside gaming and have no rush in completing a game…why should we? It’s the way to the end that is fun, not reaching it..

#27 1 year ago
  28. revolting

“35, male, plays for almost 3 hours a day”

They must be watching me. Exactly correct on all three statements.

#28 1 year ago
  29. xxJPRACERxx

@15 Agree with you. Generally it take me about a month to finish a 8 hours game. I play ~2 hours a day, but that is 90% Gran Turismo and/or bf3. And hey, I’m 35 too!

#29 1 year ago
  30. mreko3230

Not surprised. 40% of my audience for my youtube gaming channel in all regions is 25-44 years of age. For the same age range in the UK its 42%.

#30 1 year ago
  31. MrWaffles

When the XBone comes out, these articles will read:
    “Average UK gamer is 37, says bollocks every day, has an old-lady moustache, stained shirt 33% of the time, lays the game pad on their nuts 98% of the time while playing FPS”

#31 1 year ago