The Division’s “revolutionary” companion app explained

Wednesday, 3rd July 2013 11:42 GMT By Dave Cook

Tom Clancy’s The Division developer Ubisoft Massive has told VG247′s Sam Clay all about the shooter’s “revolutionary” companion apps, which will see players getting involved via Android & iOS.

During the clip, the developers told us that from a tablet or supported device, players will be able to view the game running from a top-down perspective as an overhead drone. You will be able to upgrade your drone and earn unlocks just like levelling up a character in the game.

From there they will be able to debuff and mark enemies and shoot at them in real-time. They will also be able to help their friendly squad-mates by spotting enemies, buffing them and healing them.

What do you think of The Division’s asynchronous drone gameplay? Let us know below.

1. VibraniumSpork

Pretty cool I guess, though until firmly proved otherwise it can’t help but come off as gimmicky. I’m just trying to imagine a scenario where I’d happily play as a Drone when I could instead be helping out on the ground – if my buddy’s in-game catching fire, I want to join in the fun rather than just hover abstractly overhead.

Still, I guess if I was stuck somewhere where I couldn’t play – on a train, at work, on the couch while my girl was watching more *Goddamn* Criminal Minds on the TV – I guess it’d be cool to at least join in the game and help my buddies out in some way…

…only on the proviso that it’s free of course. No way I’m paying for that ish.

#1 1 year ago
  2. powerbuoy

I like that more devs are doing this. Watchdogs, the Division, BF4. And working with existing HW (Android/iOS tablets/phones) rather than including a crap version with the console (WiiU tablet) is so much smarter.

I wonder what role SmartGlass will have in the future though seeing as most devs just seem to develop their own apps.

#2 1 year ago
  3. mortiferus

@powerbuoy. How many times must Nintendo repeat itself? The gamepad is NOT A TABLET! It has no significant power or dedicated components (CPU, GPU or RAM), it is console powered! Its a controller with a touchscreen.

Anyhoot, the concept of the companion app is noble, but, let’s see how it’s implemented in the actual game. Lag is always a concern as is the actual gameplay mechanics needed to make it successful. On top of that the unimpressive showing by UBI’s netcode in it’s current gen games doesn’t inspire confidence.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Bomba Luigi

When Phone Apps are the next Big Thing in Videogames then I guess the Industry is getting pretty lame. At least from my Point of view.

I will never use such apps, mostly because I don’t have one of these strange new Phone things and I will not buy one because of some Companion App.
    But I guess I’m a Dinosaur here, so I’m hardly a good Reference for your average Gamer.

#4 1 year ago
  5. luv1138

Futuristic version of DayZ

#5 1 year ago
  6. Exzeerex

Real gamers don’t leave their console. That “on-the-fly” mentality is for the casuals.
    Needless to say, I’m not a smartphone owner.

#6 1 year ago
  7. monkeygourmet

Guy on the right looked high as a mother fucker!

#7 1 year ago