State of Decay multiplayer DLC looking unlikely, “It killed us to cut it”, says dev

Wednesday, 3rd July 2013 12:57 GMT By Dave Cook

State of Decay developer Undead Labs has confirmed it has axed plans to bring multiplayer DLC to its zombie survival title.

Speaking with fans on Twitter, Undead’s Sanya Weathers confirmed that multiplayer has been given the chop. Thanks to OXM for the spot.

Are you sad to see the mode dropped? Let us know below.

1. Dahak

Way to bait and switch.

#1 10 months ago
  2. Bam007

Let’s get the game to a state where updates to fix issues, don’t cause more issues. Once we’ve passed that, then we can think about multiplayer.

#2 10 months ago
  3. mreko3230

#3 10 months ago
  4. mreko3230

Purchased the game the day it came out and played the campaign and loved it. Put a ton of hours into and never really thought about multiplayer. Didn’t even know it was “supposed” to have MP. The game clearly stated it was a single player game when I purchased it. Co-Op would be cool, but I don’t see where they mislead or lied to anyone.

#4 10 months ago
  5. TheLastDodo

I struggle to see the bait and switch.

Multiplayer was never confirmed, they’ve always said it could happen or we’d love to do it. If anyone bought the game expecting multiplayer, well….that’s on you.

Sounds to me they still want to do it but MS might be telling them not to so you buy the planned MMO instead.

Now it sounds like MP has been scrapped, they can get on with fixing the many bugs and issues the game suffers from.

As much as I like State of Decay, it feels like it was rushed out before it was ready.

#5 10 months ago
  6. heyvc

People need to chill. They have always said that this game was the Class3 and would lead to a bigger massive online with multiplayer game codenamed Class4. Just support the game so they can go and make the other one. Sure would be cool to have coop but I prefer they invest their time in fixing some bugs on this one and on the next game.

#6 10 months ago
  7. Ireland Michael

@1 Yeah, that’s not a bait-and-switch at all.

A bait and switch would be them explicitly stating “Hey guys, we’re working on this awesome new game, and we’re going to provide you with FREE multiplayer DLC soon after launch” …and then proceeding to take months to make it and releasing it with a premium price tag.

#7 10 months ago
  8. POOP CRUSTY

I’ve been following this game since 2010, from the minute they said co-op will come later I didn’t believe it. Not because they are to blame. Because Microsoft wouldn’t allow it. When the sequel codename Class4 comes out, they want all of the State of Decay players to transfer over and none staying with the first one. This means more sales….. I wish I was wrong… Unfortunately it happened.

#8 10 months ago