PlayStation Store wallet gets mobile top-up option, Sony explains how it works

Wednesday, 3rd July 2013 12:26 GMT By Dave Cook

PlayStation Store customers can now top up their online wallet and make purchases using their mobile phone, Sony has announced. The company has sent over a guide on how it works.

In a press release sent to VG247 this morning, Sony confirmed it has worked with mobile payment company Boku to create the feature for all UK mobile phone service providers.

You can make payments using mobile by visiting the Sony Entertainment Network Account Management website and the PS3 version of PlayStation Store.

When adding wallet funds, customers can now choose “mobile” as their preferred payment option. They must then enter their mobile phone number and will receive a text message shortly after.

They can confirm the wallet top-up by replying to Sony’s text, which will then be added to their next mobile phone bill, or deducted from their pre-paid account.

Vice president at Sony Network Entertainment Europe Gordon Thornton, said in a statement, “We are always looking at new ways to give our customers more choice in terms of content, accessibility and payment methods, and are pleased to be able to offer the option of mobile operator billing, which are becoming more and more popular.”

What do you think Sony’s mobile top-up option? Let us know below.

1. FeaturePreacher

They should really get moving on a mobile app that works with the PSN.

#1 1 year ago
  2. TrickyAudio

^ Thats the plan with PS4. Guess it won’t happen until then.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Djoenz

You know i was thinking is it possible to put PSN friends in groups or categories? If not they should enable it.

#3 1 year ago
  4. DrDamn

I’ve always wanted that on Live and PSN. Got big lists and it would be useful to categorise. I would need a category for “Who are you?” though :)

#4 1 year ago
  5. ps3fanboy

it don’t work with my sony ericsson k750i, fix it asap… or don’t you want my money sony?

#5 1 year ago
  6. CyberMarco

@4 I would like to see a nickname feature, like Steam does. I don’t have many friends on PSN but I tend to forget why I added a random stranger. :P

#6 1 year ago
  7. Ireland Michael

Its not exactly the same as what people are suggesting, but the PS4 will presumably allow you to identify people on your friends list by their actual names and identities.

So that will be at least slightly less confusing than trying to tell the difference between who “sn1p3rb1itch4583″ and “mEgAkIlLaH69″ are.

I tend to avoid that problem by simply not adding people unless I actually know them outside of the game.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Djoenz

@4 & 6

Indeed I think Ive added many unknowns from Black Ops zombies but now I totally forgot who they are and where they are from and which ones..

I would make a category “dead ones” too. Some people havent been online for years.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Kieran

can you use your mobile credit ???

#9 1 year ago
  10. Exzeerex

@7 Isn’t that only if you link something like Facebook to your PSN account? I don’t think Sony will make it mandatory to display your PSN account info since the FB linking is already optional.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Ireland Michael

@10 Probably. I wouldn’t imagine it being mandatory, but at least its something.

#11 1 year ago