Natural Selection 2 is getting a female marine in September sporting full armor

Wednesday, 3rd July 2013 21:58 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Natural Selection 2 is getting a female marine, and she will be completely covered – like one would normally dress when battling aliens.

According to developer Unknown Worlds, the “game industry has a history of depicting female characters inappropriately,” and it chose not to follow suit.

“Often, they are stylised to such a degree that they become sexual objects: While their male comrades are clothed, armed and armored to fight, the female character is notable for the lack of any clothing at all,” the firm wrote. “When female characters are granted equal protection, that protection often ignores basic laws of physics in favor of offering titillating form.

“This is not good enough, and it’s not a trope Unknown Worlds will entertain. Games are legitimate cultural influences, and game developers are responsible for the message they choose to convey to players.

“The Natural Selection 2 female marine is first and foremost, like her male colleague, a soldier. Her armor puts function before form, while adopting the science fiction, melee combat aligned design ques that have made the male marine so uniquely recognizable.”

The female marine is currently still in development, but look for her to be available by September as a free update.

Thanks, PCgamesN.

1. TheWulf

Well, that’s always a step in the right direction. And marvellously unsexualised, too, which they definitely deserve kudos for.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Sylrissa

Sounds good to me, so NS2 join in with the likes of Planetside 2 to have great armoured depictions of female soldiers which is wonderful.

#2 1 year ago
  3. absolutezero

I want a human on the alien team.

I am offended.

#3 1 year ago
  4. YoungZer0

And AAA developers/publisher always argue that it’s too expensive. Bunch of bullshiters.

@3: I want an alien on the human team.

/Kal-El.

#4 1 year ago
  5. absolutezero

That would be awesome. Someone needs to mod out the massive Onos thingy and just have Supes instead.

#5 1 year ago
  6. YoungZer0

+ Supes has to look like Jason Statham.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Buran

“Games are legitimate cultural influences, and game developers are responsible for the message they choose to convey to players.”

Yeah, if only this way of thinking would spread across the medium, that’d be great.
    I like this, and it should be self-evident, look at dark souls for instance with “gender-equal armour”. (How sad a world that a phrasing like “gender-equal armour” is felt to be needed. )

#7 1 year ago
  8. salarta

B-but my womens! They should have holes in the back of their pants and zippers over their boobs, because women need to be more flexible than men and air out their bodies! Everyone knows women explode if you give them the same amount of body cover as men, it’s why they’re forced to buy fifty thousand layers of clothing so they don’t go out each day looking like they’re walking around in their pajamas.

I hope it’s obvious I’m joking around. :)

#8 1 year ago
  9. silkvg247

Great news.. if only others followed suit.

I’m all for having silly/sexy girls and guys in games, if it fits the game world and applies to both genders. e.g. Saints row.

But I am getting pig sick of RPGs especially korean ones where it’s just.. man I don’t have the words for how ridiculous they are. I play males in those games if I even play em at all.

#9 1 year ago