Call of Duty: “the franchise has never been stronger”, says Hirshberg

Wednesday, 3rd July 2013 10:52 GMT By Dave Cook

Call of Duty’s yearly campaign to assault our minds with incessant gunfire seems like it’s not going away moving into the next generation of hardware. Activision Publishing’s CEO Eric Hirshberg has stated that the franchise has never been stronger, and it’s keeping him confident in the IP’s transition to PS4 and Xbox One

Speaking with IGN, Hirshberg said, “All I can tell you is that the franchise has never been stronger. At this moment in time, we have more people playing every month, more people logging on to play every day, a better digital business with people playing longer into the cycle of each product and purchasing more DLC and purchasing micro-DLC and purchasing season passes.

“Those are all the hard measures. How is the content we’re making selling? Are people enjoying it? That seems to be going well. Then you look at the softer measures, just in terms of social media engagement and video views. Anticipation is high for Ghosts. When you’re building off such a strong foundation of engaged players, that’s usually a pretty good sign.”

Hirshberg added that Ghosts looks set to continue the series’ tradition of strong sales, “Now, at the end of the day, it all comes down to us making another great game. That’s why we set the stage for greatness with Ghosts by wiping the slate clean creatively, not doing another Modern Warfare game with Infinity Ward, allowing them to create an entirely new narrative and cast of characters.

“We’ve changed to a world where America is not the dominant force, but an underdog. That opened up new visual opportunities. It opened up new gameplay opportunities. We’re shaking things up. Multiplayer is going to have new ideas. Dynamic maps are something we’re doing. Character customization is something we’re doing.

“The story mode is going to be…I don’t know if you’ve seen what we [showed at E3], but it’s gorgeous. It’s emotional. It’s got a different kind of tonality and feeling to it. It all comes down to us making a great game every time out, and I’m confident that we are going to deliver something special with Ghosts.”

What do you make of the above?

This week, Activision released details of Call of Duty: Ghosts’ first multiplayer map ‘Free Fall’ which is set in a collapsing skyscraper as it hurtles earth-ward. Check out the details here.

1. SplatteredHouse

“We’ve changed to a world where America is not the dominant force”

No, they already tried that with MW2. (Or, did I only imagine the depiction of attacks on midwest suburbs and a burger bar??) It stands despite this, as the most dispensable CoD in the franchise.

#1 10 months ago
  2. Lengendaryboss

That fish and dog AI, that is true rocket science stuff man :) :D

#2 10 months ago
  3. Erthazus

Call of booty Dawg

#3 10 months ago
  4. SplatteredHouse

Oh, and what’s this? They have a map set in a tumbling skyscraper, too? (only in a tumbling tower, though. Tsk, must try harder, Acti! :p) Well, clearly Battlefield’s proper done-for this time!

#4 10 months ago
  5. QuiteHammer91

To be honest Call of Duty is BURIED!, hopefully this years installment is better.

#5 10 months ago
  6. Ali

Call of Duty: “the franchise has never been more irrelevant ”, says gamers

#6 10 months ago
  7. OrbitMonkey

*Watches Titanfall trailer*

Think I’ll wait.

#7 10 months ago
  8. Kieran

i love modern warfare 1 they actually tried with that one nice big mp maps like pipeline & overgrown but now we have shitty small ones like nuketown & dome and i hope the peak system isint as bad as it sounds for mp

#8 10 months ago
  9. Kyle Jackson

I’m not a fan, or against this series, but you can’t deny that they still pull in millions. I know I wouldn’t change the formula too much if I was running the show.

#9 10 months ago
  10. Dahak

Sure it is that’s why they aren’t showing multiplayer at all.

#10 10 months ago
  11. TheWulf

Well, yeah. It’s another game equivalent of a trans fat-laden burger, and one aimed at frustrated folks who need power fantasies about being an elite solja-killa. Those sell like hot cakes and people never get bored of them.

Sigh.

Damn it, Outcast. Why did you have to dredge up a bunch of memories of when games weren’t this? I’m going to be grumpy all day, now.

#11 10 months ago
  12. TheWulf

That’s what bothers me about humans, honestly. They can eat the same burger, day in, day out, without any need for novelty in their diet. They can play the same game about their romanticised soldiers too, day in, day out. I don’t understand. I’ll never understand.

I’m a creature of novelty, so I’m always on the lookout for interesting and new things. There have literally been hundreds of this sort of game at this point, hundreds of them.

Another day. Another burger. Another Call of Duty.

I don’t understand how people can do that.

#12 10 months ago
  13. VibraniumSpork

I’ve not played a COD title in a good long while now (I moved over to Battlefield after Bad Company 2 had been out for a few months and haven’t looked back) but I have to admit that the ‘Ghosts’ Single Player footage has me interested. Not sure why, it just looked like it might actually feature a few great emotional moments alongside the Michael Bay stuff. And, of course, there’s COD dog ^_^

So, might well pick it up for the campaign but I’m not sure that I’ll stay around for the MP; no real hate for it (for what it is I actually think it’s admirably polished and effective) it’s just not the pace that I enjoy my MP experiences at anymore.

#13 10 months ago
  14. TheWulf

Is that any better? The problem there is that it’s such a quaint approach. The “mech” is just a soldier who’s eaten one of Mario’s mushrooms. It’s just a guy with guns at the end of the day and it doesn’t seem very mech-y.

I miss Heavy Gear, honestly. At least those mechs had rollerskates, which was hilarious.

#14 10 months ago
  15. CyberMarco

Ignorance is bliss I guess…

#15 10 months ago
  16. OrbitMonkey

@14. I’m not sure of how it’ll actually come together, so I’m not going to wax lyrical. Titanfall looks fresh & dynamic, thats enough for now.

And for the record, CoD MP isn’t about power fantasy. Its the competing & team play.

Power fantasists tend to stick to RPG’s & MMO’S.

“Ohh look at my big sword!!” Etc.

#16 10 months ago
  17. BrahManDude

LOL they’re pitting money on the story because the multiplayer’s going to be another rehash

#17 10 months ago
  18. Erthabutt

@12 Eureka! You made a small comment! Finally I can take the time to read it, sweet.

However, “one aimed at frustrated folks who need power fantasies about being an elite solja-killa”…. that was pointless. In my opinion, it’s all about the adrenaline rush and the feeling of success/superiority “in a game” when you are able to defeat your opponents.

#18 10 months ago
  19. RocknRolla

really? already trying to save your selves? hehe everyone is talking about BF4 not so much about COD..

#19 10 months ago
  20. bradk825

@19 that’s because for some reason Activision refuses to break from their marketing formula despite BF4 revealing their multiplayer details at E3. I don’t know why they do it this way, I think it causes people to pre-order with their competitor and people will rarely change their pre-order later, but it is what it is.

Anyway, people will be talking about COD in August and again in October, lol. Same as last year and the year before.

Personally I’m still a little too butthurt by Online Pass to buy another game by EA. I know they reversed it, but my feelings are still hurt from buying a pre-owned copy of NHL12, taking it home to play online with my little brother, and learning I couldn’t until I paid them for the “premium content.” Online multiplayer hasn’t been premium content since the 90s! I’ve got COD pre-ordered for XB1.

#20 10 months ago
  21. ChunkyLover112

I don’t get all the hate on colladuty games. These games are extremely well made by very talanted people. As if that wasn’t enough, it’s published by one of the greatest companies on earth. Right after Microsoft…

#21 10 months ago
  22. bradk825

@21 I dunno. If I don’t like a game I just don’t play it. I don’t understand the need to go to forums that are built for people who actually like the game and talk about how much I hate it, or that it shouldn’t exist and you should all switch to this other game.

Since we’re all used to it, it’s hard to see how ridiculous it is. So to illustrate: I say I love chocolate glazed donuts. Someone else on the forum is a sugar donut person, so they tell me CG donuts are the same every day, I am allowing myself to get shafted by the baker selling me the same garbage all the time, sugar is better anyway so they should not even be making CG, and if I buy one more CG I’m clearly a slur-word for homosexual who lives in his mother’s basement, and also fat.

If we were actually talking about donut lovers the fat part could be true I suppose.

Anyway, it’s just wierd of these guys to hate on a game that many people do enjoy instead of just ignoring it. What kind of psycological issue causes people to do this? Shouldn’t you just play a game you like and leave others to play games they like?

#22 10 months ago