Mad Max will have an Australian accent after all, says Avalanche

Tuesday, 2nd July 2013 20:24 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Avalanche has announced that the protagonist in Mad Max will have an Australian accent after all.

The news was announced via Twitter by studio head Christofer Sundberg who wrote: “Attn. fans who want Max to have an Aussie accent in MadMaxGame : It shall be so. We admire your loyalty. You have been heard.”

A petition was formed in June calling for the hero to have an Australian accent, like he was meant to have, and it looks like it along with the various vocal opinions on the matter won in the end.

Mad Max is coming to PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One in 2014.

1. CyberMarco

I don’t know anything about this franchise, what’s the fuss about it?

#1 1 year ago
  2. Rocketbilly

He was played by Mel Gibson back when he still had a distinct Australian accent. There aren’t a whole lot of characters in major works of media who are Australian. People don’t want to lose one of the few they have.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Biscuitpants

tfw sam worthington wont be mad max

#3 1 year ago
  4. monkeygourmet

Thank fuck for that! It would have been awful playing it with US accents…

Whole cast should be Aussies really.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Useful Pseudonym

I bet Nolan North or Troy Baker do great Australian accents.

#5 1 year ago
  6. YoungZer0

Honestly; I couldn’t care less.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Clupula

@5 – I was surprised that Nolan North was the voice of The Penguin in Arkham City.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Clupula

Little known fact: Growing up, the first version of Mad Max I saw, when I was a kid, was the “American dub,” which was created at a time when Hollywood felt that my countrymen would not be able to understand Aussie accents.

They eventually released the original audio over here and both Road Warrior and Thunderdome kept Mel Gibson’s voice. But I still remember hearing everybody with uber-whitebread All American accents. It was quite jarring when I saw Road Warrior and suddenly, everybody was from Australia.

#8 1 year ago
  9. xxJPRACERxx

I’m glad for this decision, just hope there’s subtitles!

#9 1 year ago
  10. silkvg247

It’ll have an Aussie actor but then it’ll get banned from release over there because some of the bad guys are mean and scary and there’s blood sometimes.

Maybe if that happens they’ll (Aussie gamers) get off their bums and protest against their ridiculous fun censorship board.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Docker Al

@10 The sad thing is we did protest and campaign for around 10 years to get the 18+ rating. And they’re still banning games. Nothing changed. Frankly it’s getting embarrassing.

#11 1 year ago