Gears of War: Judgment producer joins Bioware to direct next Mass Effect game

Tuesday, 2nd July 2013 21:33 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Chris Wynn, one of the senior producers on Gears of War: Judgment has left Epic Games to take on the role of senior development director on the next Mass Effect game.

Wynn announced the news on Twitter, and he is no stranger to Bioware as he had worked there for six years previously.

While he was only with Epic for around a year, this is just another person to leave the North Carolina firm within a year’s time: Rod Fergusson in August followed by president Mike Capps, designer Cliff Bleszinski, marketing head Kendall Boyd, and senior developers from People Can Fly.

But the firm has grown in the last year as well, as it bought People Can Fly and hired LucasArts president Paul Meegan to lead development. It is also opening a new office in Seattle which will focus on Unreal Engine development.

Thanks, GI International.

1. Lengendaryboss

A lot of jumping from one ship too another ship, recently.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Froseidon

Looks like he can ruin this franchise too! Just kidding, but still GoW:J was abysmal. Mass Effect is one of my favourite game series, if “4″ ruins it, then I know who I’ll be pointing my finger at.

#2 1 year ago
  3. xBASSxMONSTAx

Please don’t mess up mass effect series.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Useful Pseudonym

In other news Commander Shepard is going to get bicep implants.

#4 1 year ago
  5. GwynbleiddiuM

@3 Too fucking late!

#5 1 year ago
  6. salarta

@2: To be fair, I’m playing ME3 now and I can’t imagine anyone doing worse or missing the point more. But then, I just started, so hopefully it stops sucking soon.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Froseidon

@6 – I think there was too much negative stigma over Mass Effect 3 due to like the last 20 minutes or so. I think had the ending being different or people not hated it, people would view the game as a whole much better. Gameplay wise and story-wise (up ’til the ending), I thought was great.

I was one of the few that didn’t hate the original ending. That said, it didn’t mean I liked it either. It was… okay as an ending goes.

The game does pick up when you can actually leave the linear section at the beginning and get to go your own way.

#7 1 year ago
  8. salarta

@7: I haven’t even gotten to the ending and know next to nothing about them, and I’m really not enjoying playing it so far. I just got to the Citadel.

I’m hoping that it’s just a really bad beginning and the story gets better later, because so far it’s been terrible compared to the second game. I can’t say too much without risking spoilers, so I’ll say what I can. Obsession with cinematics in the beginning, at least so far the exploration option that I liked about ME2 is being denied for the sake of railroading me through multiple story missions, many of the awesome themes of ME2 like the diversity of races uniting and overcoming their differences to fight a common threat is just gone, and the way ME2 ended is basically thrown away for what feels like a poor and forced attempt to put things “back” to how they were with ME1 (I say this last one having not personally played ME1 but knowing enough of its story).

The last one is especially egregious with multiple problems, first and foremost so far being one character supposedly still holding the role she’d progressed to at the end of ME2 yet also somehow going back to the way she was during ME1. Which basically amounts to sloppily undoing character development.

Also Vega comes off to me so far like a douche I wish I could kick off the team, and Ashley looks like a model pretending to be a soldier.

I’m really, really hoping things get better past the linear portion and my views of the above start to change. Because so far, I largely don’t feel like continuing, and the only reason I feel like I should force myself to go further is because I bought the thing.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Protoman11

Mass Effect has been dead to me since 2. They took a good RPG, gutted the RPG elements, focused on TPS combat with illogical ammo and chest high walls everywhere, removed the writer that made Mass Effect 1 so great, ruined some great characters and created many useless ones, and so on.

This news is almost on the verge of a “The Onion” style satirical joke, since Gears of War is exactly what Mass Effect has been trending towards over the years. It’s sad that this is actually true.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Ercarret

If I’m reading LinkedIn right, he never worked at Bioware. Had a six-year stint at EA, though.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Froseidon

@8 – Yeah, the beginning is really slow until you get past the mission after your first time at the Citadel.

The sense of racial differences does come in, but yeah, that’s again after the Citadel :P The game doesn’t really pick up until that point.

And yeah, ME2 is best ME.

#11 1 year ago