SmartGlass app downloaded 17 million times, says Microsoft

Monday, 1st July 2013 16:54 GMT By Dave Cook

Microsoft has announced that its SmartGlass app for smartphones has been downloaded some 17 million times.

Eurogamer reports that the figure applies to Windows Phone, iOS and Android versions of the app, and Microsoft has stated that 89% of users return to the app within a week, implying it’s being used quite regularly.

The app can be used to track your Xbox profile, achievements, messages, friend lists and more, while some games offer extra content and functions via your mobile device. SmartGlass is set to be a regular feature in Xbox One titles, and with an install base like this already in place, it could just take off in next-gen.

What do you think? Are you a SmartGlass user? Let us know what you think of it below.

1. Lengendaryboss

So 17 Million people downloaded it and 89% go back to it: thats roughly 15.30 Million people using it weekly little less than that ballpark though. Pretty impressive adoptive figures.

2. OlderGamer

Never touched the stuff.

If someday I own a XBone, and smartglass is used in meaningful ways…I won’t be against taking a look at it. However “The app can be used to track your Xbox profile, achievements, messages, friend lists and more,” isn’t enough of a reason to use smartglass. I can do all of those things you listed when I turn on the xb360. I can see the nice nice of having msging mobile I guess. Just not a big deal. My xbox isn’t such a big deal in my life that I have to take it on the train with me.

3. absolutezero

I got it and have used it a grand total of once. Right now its completely pointless and I have real idea what people are using it for.

I have it both on my phone and on my Surface. I might give it a go tonight and see if its actually changed from being an on-screen control pad and little else.

4. salarta

That’s not really a shocker. People like to look at their profiles and accomplishments from time to time, and exchange messages with people they know. The real question is if people would actually use it as part of playing games, and I’m pretty sure a huge chunk of that number would not.

Though I could be wrong, of course. It ultimately depends on what kind of mechanics they manage to offer.

5. Aullah

I still dont know wtf is a smartglass.

6. Robbins

How many of these downloaders work for Microsoft

7. Lengendaryboss

QA people who download and test the product? :) The people who have to patch whenever necessary when they find faults? :)

8. Robbins

@7 Another question how many games are compatible?

9. SlayerGT

“The app can be used to track your Xbox profile, achievements, messages, friend lists and more, while some games offer extra content and functions via your mobile device”

It must be different depending on the phone. I have a windows7 phone (oh..it blows) and I have an Xbox app and a smartglass app..well had. Smartglass I tried and it was pretty useless..and slowingmy crappy phonedown (“while some games offer extra content and functions via your mobile device”). The amount of time it takes to open it I could have done whatever it was I was trying to do already. I dont play either of the two games that use it as intended. Now my Xbox app (“The app can be used to track your Xbox profile, achievements, messages, friend lists and more”) I do use. I’m wondering if on Windows phone its two separate apps and on ios and Android its one app. Cause to me this inaccurate.

10. Lengendaryboss

8 games are compatible ATM but to be honest i don’t care (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_SmartGlass) in addition to several Xbox One games. But what relevance does it have to implying that MS downloads their own software other than business or personal use?

11. Robbins

@10 it was really a joke, It just seems like a very large number for such a small number of games. I was only saying because someone told me at the Xbox One reveal, the people clapping were the Microsoft employees and not the attending press, but I suppose you can’t trust word of mouth on the internet.
    But I do understand your point because if I wasn’t doing well they wouldn’t mention it, as Sony did when they removed the camera from the PS4 because it wasn’t good news people didn’t want to hear it. But if it has the right install base then it could work well, especially if it is used in Watch Dogs.
    Either way I wasn’t trying to shit on Microsoft as they are only trying to get themselves out of this hole they have dug for themselves recently over the DRM and used games debacle.

12. Lengendaryboss

I know just took you further on it, thats all.

13. Mr Sparkle

Downloaded it. It’s free.

Never use it. It’s useless.