Mario Kart 8: raw gameplay and GamePad functions – video

Monday, 1st July 2013 15:10 GMT By Dave Cook

Mario Kart 8 was on show at E3 2013, and for a bit of a laugh, we pitted two Nintendo employees against each other for our video-recording pleasure. Recorded by VG247′s Sam Clay, the video shows raw gameplay, GamePad functions and more.

We hear that as a result of the above gameplay the two Nintendo employees are no longer friends. We deeply apologise for any rivalry caused by our quest for gaming knowledge.

What do you make of Mario Kart 8 then? Is it cause to get a Wii U? Let us know below.

1. OlderGamer

Good coverage thnx guys.

#1 1 year ago
  2. naffgeek

You know I have all the consoles and have just upgraded my PC with a gtx770 but i am still looking forward to this Zelda, Pikmin, wonderful 101 etc…more than anything else.

Don’t know if it’s my age or just getting tired of the usual blood and guts and depressing post apocalyptic settings but I finding more and more that the Nintendo attitude (sunshine and fun) is my cup of tea.

I just hope they get some traction with the console and sell a few more units.

This just looks great fun.

#2 1 year ago
  3. OlderGamer

Felt that way for awhile myself naffgeek. Also have all systems, and a nice PC.

#3 1 year ago
  4. manamana

@2 you should try Segas All Star Racing Transformed. It’s great fun!

#4 1 year ago
  5. DrDamn

Does the gamepad screen get used in any interesting ways in the single player or online multiplayer game?

#5 1 year ago
  6. OlderGamer

Other then a map, and other misc info, I don’t expect there is much they could do with the second screen. Except off TV play, like Sonic Racing does.

#6 1 year ago
  7. DrDamn

Doesn’t Sonic let you use it as a rear view mirror and for weapon targeting?

#7 1 year ago
  8. Phoenixblight

Wow that wasn’t interesting at all. Its Mario Kart, nothing new or different.

#8 1 year ago
  9. ClubCyberia

This looks like a substantial improvement to me

#9 1 year ago
  10. Phoenixblight

Maybe graphically compared to the Wii but the overall gameplay is exactly the same as Mario Kart 7. They had some real potential with the tablet. THey could have looked into asymmetrical gameplay.

#10 1 year ago
  11. fengato

Visually exciting – feels like we’ve finally moved on from GameCube graphics. The worlds look rich and interesting – wish the new WiIU 3D Mario looked as good.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Bowser

I played this at Best Buy when Nintendo was doing their E3 thing there and it was a lot of fun.

Mario Kart 7 had the sharpest gameplay the series has seen yet and would honestly be hard to top. That gameplay with HD visuals and awesome new tracks with the sweet anti-gravity is totally enough to warrant a purchase.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Phoenixblight

That may be so but they have a chance to look into having MP with asymmetrical gameplay and they aren’t taking advantage of the tablet which is the entire point of the WiiU.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Digital Bamboo

@2 That’s interesting. I like to throw a Nintendo game into the bloody brown-gray mix myself every so often to brighten things up.

Though I’m running low on Wii games ATM. Damn region locking + limited prints.

#14 1 year ago