EA – “No other shooter does what Battlefield does”

Monday, 1st July 2013 18:55 GMT By Debabrata Nath

No other shooter on the market is able to do what Battlefield does, according to EA Labels president Frank Gibeau.

Speaking to IGN, Gibeau explained why Battlefield is in a league of its own as far as the FPS genre is concerned and how it’s beneficial for the series.

“There’s no other shooter on the market that does what Battlefield does,” he said. “The mix of vehicles and infantry combat with fully destructible environments in very large levels, nobody matches that. Until they do, we have a unique position, and I think we have a great position.”

He also explained how far the Battlefield franchise has come in terms of growth.

“From Bad Company to Bad Company 2 to Battlefield 3, we’ve grown that business from 3 million units to 18 million plus. The quality has gotten better. The technology has gotten better. We’ve done new things with the experience. We don’t feel like we’ve reached a barrier that says, ‘oh, we’re out of ideas to innovate.’ I think the idea that in real time, you knock a skyscraper down right into the middle of the level, it completely changes the whole game. You can imagine. And be rest assured that we have more levels like that.”

Gibeau also stated that although there’s a lot of shooters on the market, there’s still room for growth of the genre as long as developers keep on innovating.

“We feel very confident that we’ll be able to continue to make better and better Battlefields,” he said.

He went to explain how the next-gen will prove frutiful for EA as a company, giving them a lot more options to work with.

“Our idea is to leap ahead using gen 4 and Frostbite 3 to drive the shooter category and grow Battlefield and give fans what they want,” he said. “We feel very confident that we’ll be able to continue to make better and better Battlefields. At the same time, we have a great rotation. We’ve got Battlefield. We’ve got Titanfall. We’ve got Battlefront. We feel pretty good about that mix. They all do something very different. That’s the trick. The more that these things feel the same, that’s when the category starts to fall away. I don’t see that happening yet. I think we’ve got plenty of opportunity in gen 4, with eight times the computing power of the last gen, plus all the new online features, plus a lot of things like SmartGlass integration with Commander mode, where we’re going to continue to give shooter fans and those big franchise buyers bigger and bigger experiences.”

Gibeau also hinted that Battlefield 4 might get a subscription service similar to Battlefield 3′s premium service.

“We had a great customer response on the Premium service for Battlefield 3. You can fully expect that we’ll exceed that value offering and that feature set next time. It worked great.”

Battlefield 4 releases on October 29 for PS3, Xbox 360, PC.

1. Erthazus

Destruction is top notch. A lot of innovations DICE does with each Battlefield game.

#1 10 months ago
  2. drewbles82

I havent played these games loads but when I have, far better than COD. What I’d like to see though is with Single player, just a giant map for each level or maybe do something similar to Unreal tourament but Battlefield. Gives plays a chance to learn some of maps, vehicles etc before facing others online.
    I’m glad these guys got Battlefront

#2 10 months ago
  3. Lengendaryboss

I’m interested, i should try out Battlefield 3 on Plus, if i am interested i should look into future and present titles.

Does anyone have any impressions they would like to share?

#3 10 months ago
  4. Francis O

@Lengendarychump

Sure I’ll share my impressions:

It’s a waste of time and money. As well as the whole shooter genre.

On topic: EA you guys suck and fail. shooters are shooters. Stop trying to make it seem like you guys innovate.

#4 10 months ago
  5. Lengendaryboss

@Francis
    I love listening to Francis’s generalisations, something about it seems so sad and pathetic at the same time :D I won’t take your impressions because that would be like asking someone who hates Drugs “Wheres the nearest crack den?” Pointless, although the difference is if someone hates something they rarely mentions it. I hate peanuts but i am not going to preach to the entire world about that. Adopt that mentality why don’t you? But really did you check out those links i linked to you in the other article.

#5 10 months ago
  6. Francis O

I’ll pass chump. Shooters sucks. That’s why they all get discounted a month after they’re released, too many of them. They all do the same thing.

#6 10 months ago
  7. Lengendaryboss

@Francis
    “That’s why they all get discounted a month after they’re released, too many of them.” That happens with nearly every game has nothing to do with the amount of them. Go on prove that is true cause right now i feel you are not looking at the links i linked you.

Look: http://www.amazon.co.uk/ACTIVISION-Deadpool-Xbox-360/dp/B00BQ9XO02/ref=sr_1_5?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1372703442&sr=1-5

#7 10 months ago
  8. manamana

As the saying goes: Teasing is a sign of affection …

#8 10 months ago
  9. Lengendaryboss

#9 10 months ago
  10. CyberMarco

@Lengendaryboss

I’ll share my opinion if you don’t mind! :P

I played BF3 on PC, I wasn’t really that interested in FPS games before, and I wasn’t into the Battlefield series either. Maybe a bit of a random play of BF2 at an Internet cafe. After playing the BETA I found it fun. Didn’t pick the game day-1 but waited for a couple of months and got the game for ~20€ from a CD-keys site.

The game is quite good, they patched some critical flaws, albeit a bit late but whatever. It has a nice sense of progress and tons of unlockables, guns, accessories, vehicles etc. The stock maps are decent enough, so you wont be missing its core gameplay without DLC. Although Back 2 Karkand and Armored Kill are nice additions.

I’ll give it a try with PS+ too, but only to see the differences from the PC counterpart. Maybe I’ll play a game or two for the lolz, also I suck in FPS games with a controller.

On a side note, now that I have played BF3 I feel that CoD is a bit arcade-y compared to BF3, more like Counter Strike if you get what I mean.

But as you said, you’ll get it with PS+ so no harm checking it out, right?

#10 10 months ago
  11. Francis O

Legendarychump – Shooters suck. #dealwithit

#11 10 months ago
  12. Sciva

Apart from the destructible enviroments, Planetside 2 does it so much better, ill be back when Battlefield doesn’t feel like a small scale skirmish.

#12 10 months ago
  13. DSB

@3 It’s a very well produced shooter, but once you look past the production it’s nothing mindblowing. Falls into the same traps as most other shooters, with very little innovation where it counts.

Still a good way to spend a few hours though.

#13 10 months ago
  14. Lengendaryboss

@Cyber
    Thank you for doing what someone clearly can’t, thanks for the impressions i heard a lot of good things about Battlefield, but no better way to judge the game then to play it in action.

@Francis
    Not factual. #dealwithit Now at least thats true.

#14 10 months ago
  15. Lengendaryboss

@DSB
    Thanks.

#15 10 months ago
  16. manamana

If I remember correctly, I found the destructable environments in BFBC2 much better. Or maybe the maps. I dunno but thinking of it, they seemed more tactical and more fun. I’ve spend quite some time (300h+ with both BF3 and BFBC2 so I should know better) but maybe it’s just me remembering bollocks and having more fun in another period of my life…

#16 10 months ago
  17. MCTJim

Well the title is right…and they charge for private servers instead of letting you host lobbies….they get the latter right and I will buy BF4.

#17 10 months ago
  18. DSB

@16 I wasn’t thrilled by it. The major effect of destruction in BFBC2 as far as I could tell was that everybody and their moms were throwing explosives around. It was like playing TF2, more than Battlefield.

The way they implemented it felt awkward to me. It wasn’t like you could deny anyone a house, because the floor and stairs would always magically stay intact. It just looked silly, and there was obviously no gravity there.

Halfway through a match it was like a monster had walked into town and eaten all the walls of the buildings, making them look like a bunch of architectural apple cores.

I think if it was more realistic and you could literally fight amongst the rubble, I’d like it more.

#18 10 months ago
  19. reask

@ Legendary.
    I found the mp tougher than cod tbh.
    In saying that I did enjoy it but played tdm 90% of the time.

My biggest gripe was the vehicles in it.
    I am sure they are great once you learn how to control them problem been the sp has no flying missions in it whatsoever.

CO OP the same.
    Second mission puts you in a heli with not a notion how to fly it.

Anyway not bitching about the game as It is a neat package so you should try it at least.

#19 10 months ago
  20. vgyliu

I love how they made the game its just the web browser to launch the game failed like 50% of the time and that theres too many DLC to quickly that it just wasnt to my liking. Same thing with COD they made it with so many DLC that it just doesnt seem worth it to me anymore.

#20 10 months ago
  21. Lengendaryboss

@Reask
    Thanks, i’m always up for a challenge.

#21 10 months ago
  22. manamana

@DSB it looked silly, yes. And a couple of steps backwards in terms of graphical fidelity. But burrying a couple of enemies under a crumbling house packed with explosives was kinda funny. And now that I think of it the maps were more fun. It’s by no means a real Battlefield game, as it lacked huge maps and all kinds of vehicles let alone helicopters. But I always prefered BC2 over CoD. And while you mention it TF2 is superb. BF3 lost me with their custom servers. It’s a great fan service, I know. But I mainly saw hosts with 500 or so tickets and battles just took too long. Or I or a squadmate got kicked out for no reason at all. Wasn’t fun anymore. But to each their own and I’ll definitely give BF4 a spin.

#22 10 months ago
  23. xxJPRACERxx

I’ve been playing the bf series since 1942 and bf3 is really good. Nothing’s revolutionary but small step evolution each time and unfortunately because of consoles they removed a lot of stuff too (Commander Mode, but it will return in bf4, Battle Recorder, but we’ll get Spectator Mode in bf4 but it’s not really the same thing).

Personally it’s the only FPS game I play online and when you’re in a good team/squad, it’s a really GREAT experience!

#23 10 months ago
  24. dkpunk

I just picked this up for both pc and ps3 and am loving it. Its leaps and bounds better than blops2. Has a much more realistic feel. It also has much more variety then the cod games. With that being said a does have a few issues. Matchmaking via a party, voice chat, sp and the browser based launching on pc version all need work. Still great game!

#24 10 months ago
  25. Biscuitpants

battlefield 3 was shit as fuck, bad company 2 was the shit though

#25 10 months ago
  26. DSB

@22 I agree.

I love shooters, and I have a million peeves (surprise!) concerning all the stuff they should be doing that they aren’t.

Life is way too short for custom servers and serverbrowsers in general. I don’t think that should ever be a standard. Matchmakers have their own downsides, but I just love being able to push a button and be playing.

I wish they’d innovate more where it really matters. Stuff like teamwork. When I play something like Rising Storm, you have guys on mic who are actually organizing banzai charges, just leading 10 guys up to a point, and then charging in.

It’s absolutely awesome, and I don’t get why the only thing that seems to matter is “Teh grafix” or “Teh physix” when someone really should be looking at how we play and how we can improve that.

#26 10 months ago
  27. BrahManDude

true i enjoy the challenge it gives and the sandbox gameplay with 64 players it’s like none other

#27 10 months ago
  28. bradk825

BF4 looks great. I’ll be waiting to see if they replace Online Pass with some other immoral thing, and if not, I may pick it up eventually.

#28 10 months ago