SWTOR update 2.3 will include an optional Ewok combat companion

Saturday, 29th June 2013 21:11 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

SWTOR update 2.3 is live on the public test servers, and according to Bioware, one of the perks of the update will be an Ewok combat companion. Dulfy.net has the low-down on the furry fella, and in order to make use of his services, you’ll need to have a level 40 legacy and a million credits. The teddy bear critter also sports heavy armor and can make use of heal and tank stances. Stats and a cutscene featuring the Endorian through the link. More information on the 2.3 update and what is on the PTS is through here. Thanks, Massively.

1. Astral Frost

OMG that is so cute!! I’m glad I reinstalled it.

#1 10 months ago
  2. Crussong

Such a shame SWTOR is so underrated in the MMO-fanbase :-/
    They really put a lot of effort to increase the fun in long terms..

#2 10 months ago
  3. GrimRita

It deserves its place in history of one of THE biggest failures around – and still is, for its dwindling player base. Awful game engine combined with outdated game mechanics firmly puts this way behind almost every single MMO known to man.

Even SWG was far better and more creative in its approach, even pre-nge. And as for fun long term, its been a whole year since pre-season 1 was announced for pvp, no new maps, same old lag, broken abilities, small rewards if you do pvp, nope, sorry, it deserves everything it gets.

#3 10 months ago
  4. Hcw87

So why do you play it?

#4 10 months ago
  5. Kalain

What, an increase in player base? No idea what game you’re playing, but it isn’t the SWTOR I’m playing.

All new MMO’s are using old, tired mechanics. There isn’t a decent, evolutionary MMO out there and none coming in on the horizon either, which is a shame, because I’d like to see more Sandbox-style mmo’s.

#5 10 months ago
  6. Phoenixblight

Wildstar, Firefall look vastly different compared to recent MMOs.

#6 10 months ago
  7. Krayte

Your really got to hate elitist MMO whiners like #3, they’re worse than wine tasters. They made TOR for Star Wars and KotOR fans, not melters like you who are only looking for flaws.

#7 10 months ago
  8. DSB

@5 I’m excited about Wildstar, but for the opposite reason. To me it looks like WoW did back when it was worth playing.

Most of their “new features” seem to be based around simply doing a lot more instancing and phasing, but what’s really encouraging to me is that they aren’t just trying to be all things to all people.

They’re actually trying to deliver three things to three distinct groups.

They want to make the grind as interesting as possible for the casual players, they want to make the PVP as interesting as possible for the gladiators, and they want to make the PVE epic for the raiders.

If they truly execute on that and don’t just mix everything in together like 95% of the me-too MMOs out there, I think they could really create a monster. Definitely has me tentatively excited.

#8 10 months ago
  9. Phoenixblight

THey also made the game more platformer based which is what has me hooked. You have to constantly be interacting in battle and can’t just go with mash keybinds to beat an enemy. I saw a few videos of people playing at PAx for 30 mins and it looks to be a lot of fun and I showed the wife the gameplay video and she looks interested as well especially with the Path system which no MMO does that to date.

#9 10 months ago
  10. DSB

@9 Yeah, it looks pretty smooth in the videos I’ve watched. I hope it plays like that in the wild too.

I remember people saying some of the same things about Guild Wars 2 before it launched, but the reality turned out to be pretty underwhelming.

It looks to me like you’ll be mashing plenty of buttons though. The difference seems to be that you’ll need to time it more closely to get the highest efficiency.

I’m expecting it to be pretty familiar, but hopefully sharper and more focused than all the other “WoW-killers” out there.

#10 10 months ago
  11. GrimRita

Cant get excited about ANY MMO right now. All the studios talk bull shit for 3 years during development and then, bang – they release a WoW clone despite saying they wont.

Guild Wars 2 is no doubt a stand out but the pvp is probably the worst I have come across for a long time, especially in a new MMO.

Rift of course speaks for itself but again, the gear grind in that is worse that SWTORs if you like pvp.

I was so pumped for End of nations but hey ho.

@7 thats probably why the game has so few players. Im a Star Wars fan and SWTOR is NOTHING like Star Wars. I can’t remember when I saw Han Solo use stealth or watch none force users stun the living crap out of you until death.

It’s nothing to do with a whine….its the facts. 1.7 million jumped ship within 4 months – a record for an MMO, subs under 500k inside 12 months and I doubt any of the freemiums get past level 30 because the planets like Tatooine,Alderaan, Balmorra,Taris are SOOOOOO linear and generic they probably uninstall.

#11 10 months ago
  12. FallenAngel41

@11 Actually the game gained over 2 million new accounts after going F2P and just playing in-game you can see the population is better then ever. Yes, they had a rough time after launch, but they are/have recovered and are still reasoning great content like this new patch 2.3. The game still has a future.

Also, I too am a huge fan of Star Wars, but I love that fact that it is very different. SWTOR examines and totally different time then the original trilogy, the point isn’t to be Han or Luke, its to create your own character in the SW world. That’s why SWTOR is my favorite MMO, because it concentrates on story and lore much more then any other MMO. It makes your character feel important to the SW world.

Each to their own though! ^_^

#12 10 months ago
  13. TheWulf

And you’re a disgrace to consumers everywhere, you are our shame, and you bring us down with you. You are satisfied with a flaw-laden WoW reskin that’s just branded with something you like. So, essentially, every new MMO should be a rebranded WoW reskin?

It’s kind of like saying that Internet Explorer is the best browser, and all you need to do is rebrand it to make it perfect. Even though it’s laden with flaws and problems. What the MMO industry needs is something that’s really new and innovative, something that pushes new gameplay styles.

We need an MMO that embraces different gameplay styles — like point & click adventures, stealth, and so on. Even maybe having combat take a backseat to those things. We need something that isn’t just a rebrand of everything that’s come before. Whilst you, in your shame, might be so incredibly easily pleased with a rebrand, I’m not.

I want more. I want novelty. I felt and still feel that SW:TOR is an incredibly lazy thing. If all it takes is a rebrand of WoW to please you, and to have you think that anyone who disagrees with you is some kind of plague, then… well, here’s a bouncy ball. It has a Star Wars logo on it. Knock yourself out.

#13 10 months ago
  14. TheWulf

This is what bothered me about The Secret World, to be honest. It had some of that, but it had shit combat at the forefront. If it had concentrated more on the adventuring, puzzling, exploring, and stealth aspects, then it could have been fun. But it turned out to be entirely too average because of this 1-2-3-4 combat fetish that MMOs seem to have.

If you’re going to include combat, at least make it like a spectacle fighter or an FPS, so that there’s some skill involved. I’m really sick of MMO combat. And if latency is the concern, then just don’t do combat. The truly great MMO is out there, somewhere, waiting to be made. It’ll just take a developer with balls enough to reinvent the wheel and make it, rather than bowing to the desires of the lowest of the low when it comes to the lowest common denominator.

There’s a demographic out there for games which require skill and intelligence. We’re here. We’re waiting for that MMO.

#14 10 months ago