Nintendo has unannounced Wii U titles set for release before 2014, says Iwata

Saturday, 29th June 2013 18:24 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

During an investor’s meeting yesterday, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata said the firm has unannounced Wii U titles set to release by 2014.

According to Iwata, translated by Cheesemeister, there’s more information on development “than could be released at E3.”

Iwata said that what has been shown through Nintendo Direct sessions and on the floor at E3 was enough to “ease owners’ fears.”

The firm has a plan in place so that there isn’t as much of a gap between the announcement and the game’s release so as not to “lessen the impact or allow competitors to copy.”

You can read the original version through here, or just wait for the translation to be posted in a couple of days.

Thanks, Rumrod.

1. xBASSxMONSTAx

what games?? o_0

Maybe Animal Crossing Wii-U.

#1 1 year ago
  2. pcbros

Metroid, Zelda, Yoshi, Punch Out and Star Fox are all due for a Wii U debut!

#2 1 year ago
  3. Lewis247

Fact they are both unannounced and release before 2014 is exciting as fuck.. But I hope it’s not too late for them to just throw them on us and then let them fade away.

That or I drop £300 on a WiiU and a lot of games this Christmas…

#3 1 year ago
  4. Blue Oni

I really hope they are new IPs.
    Other than that i only care for the next Legend of Zelda and project X.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Professor Zoom

Xbox One rocks, wii u sucks.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Digital Bamboo

@4 I agree, new IPs would be amazing.

However, Nintendo has been playing it very safe with the U thus far, so I’d be very surprised if they strayed too far from familiar territory.

Were I a betting man, I’d put money on a new Pokemon, Paper Mario, Animal Crossing, or Punch-Out game. I don’t expect we’ll see new Zelda until E3 2014, and it won’t be released before the end of next year, at the earliest.

But yeah, I hope they prove me wrong, and blow everyone away with a brand new turn-based tactics IP & Star Fox Universe.

#6 1 year ago
  7. elem187

I wouldn’t get your hopes up. Sounds like eshop games like what we see on the 3ds eshop (Dillion’s, Pushmo/Crashmo really show Nintendo’s amazing creativity), or perhaps smaller retail titles like Mario strikers, punch out.

I wouldn’t get your hopes up for Zelda, Metroid or Starfox… Those would be big releases announced at an E3.

#7 1 year ago
  8. elem187

@professor zoom, enjoy your spybox, I’m sure the US government thanks you for allowing an always connected camera into your home. Since you will be one of the 10 people to buy spybox maybe the US government might send you a fruit basket.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Professor Zoom

I won’t even have a wii u for free, I would discard the crap immediately, because it fills my home and it’s just a piece of toy, the games are shit, the graphics are shit and the hardware is shit. I’d rather have the old PS2

#9 1 year ago
  10. Metroid455

@9 awww you poor uneducated child attacking something he doesn’t understand how sad for you (..)

#10 1 year ago
  11. Celticrebel1980

Professor Zoom… Great name.. Then you’re trolling a Wii U article bad mouthing the Wii U. And of all things you’re supporting the Xbox One. You are pathetic on so many levels. Do you realize how storied Nintendo is? Who has more recognized characters? Who that’s still around has been in the game as long as them? Who has taken the risks they have to achieve creative leaps? Nobody. Go @&$& off.

#11 1 year ago
  12. OlderGamer

I love my WiiU, just wish it had more dev/pub support.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Celticrebel1980

Yeah they do need to improve relationships with third parties. Their first party titles are tons of fun though

#13 1 year ago
  14. The_Red

That is a strange move unless those are rather small 2013 games. I mean, there is no way the next big Metroid or Zelda is gonna come out before 2014 but hasn’t been announced yet.

Anyway, where is my Bayonetta 2!? Need it ASAP!

#14 1 year ago
  15. OlderGamer

If Nintendo allowed DS/3DS games to be played on WiiU(for sale on eShop). It would go a long ways to filling the release gaps. But as it is, like the past few Nintendo consoles, the WiiU makes a nice companion console. It just doesn’t make much sense to own as your only console. Esp if you are a dedicated gamer.

#15 1 year ago
  16. The_Red

The problem with allowing 3DS games on Wii U is the visuals. Handheld games use super low poly / low res resources and when up-scaled on a 40-60 inch TV via an HD console like Wii U, they’d look worse that PS2 titles. Plus some of them depend on the 2 screens being really close to each other.

#16 1 year ago
  17. OlderGamer

Yeah I used to play the GBA games on my Gamecube, but still they could use half the screen or something. I think it would work, but you are right…deff would be draw backs.

#17 1 year ago
  18. monkeygourmet

Have you got Lego City undercover yet? Am playing it at the moment, great little game and genuinely funny throughout! :)

Also, Game and Wario is worth a punt, good fun and again, very funny!

#18 1 year ago
  19. monkeygourmet

Wii U already has some great exclusives across all genres:

Zombi U
    Nintendo Land
    NSMB U
    Game and Wario
    Lego City Undercover
    Monster Hunter 3 U

That’s about 1 exclusive every 2 months on top of some of the other titles and eshop stuff.

Very soon and coming into next year we have:

Pikmin 3
    P100
    Mario 3D Land U
    X
    Mario Kart 8
    Windwaker HD
    Bayonetta 2
    Wii Fit U
    Donkey Kong U

Then abut further still:

Smash Brothers U
    Fire Emlem Crossover
    Yoshi Yarn
    Zelda U

So, all in all; that’s almost 20 exclusives for Wii U released in about 1 and a half years… That’s pretty damn good, that’s also without including eshop games.

I think that’s almost half the exclusives the 360 has in a third of the time it’s been out…. :)

Plus the Wii U will be cheap as anything soon. I honestly can’t see why anyone who is into games wouldn’t want to try one out.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Bowser

They could potentially just put the top and bottom DS screens both on the same screen. The resolution was only 800×240, you could fit that twice on even the GamePad.

#20 1 year ago
  21. monkeygourmet

Mildly off topic, I think Nintendo should create a virtual console museum as quickly as possible.

ALL Nintendo consoles emulated on Wii U and 3DS if poss. Get as many games as possible on their ASAP. The speed that virtual console games come out is ridiculous. It prints money aswell, there are about 50 or so games I’d happily paya bit for again to have on my Wii U.

But, what do Nintendo do? Release a casino game on the SNES for £5.49 rather than ANY other classic SNES game…?!

#21 1 year ago
  22. Sini

naa, dumbasses need to make gamecube titles playable on the tablet.

#22 1 year ago
  23. stealth

wii u will be fine

#23 1 year ago
  24. Digital Bamboo

@19 If I may play devil’s advocate:

Do you really consider Nintendo Land + Game & Wario to be “great” exclusives? I don’t. NL is an adequate pack-in, & Wario is DOA.

Monster Hunter 3U & Windwaker–while greatly enhanced–are remakes.

New Zelda is not going to drop in the first 18 months, & when X will release is anyone’s guess.

Still, you’re right, that’s a fair amount of quality titles. I just think a lot of them are too niche, or not quite big enough for what Nintendo needs (in the first 18 months). Except for Mario Kart. Nov-Dec will be big, but Mario Kart will turn the tide.

EDIT: While I’m not interested in them personally, I believe a new Wii Party U + Mario & Sonic Olympics game are inbound, which were big on the Wii. You were wise to include Wii Fit U in your list, as, while that type of game may not appeal to the “hardcore” they cannot be discounted as potential system-sellers.

#24 1 year ago
  25. DrDamn

Big +1 for Lego City Undercover. I’m just about to start the final special mission. It’s not the most taxing game ever but it’s packed with fun and loads of beautiful little touches.

Also finding it a great way to get my son (5 years old) used to controlling games. I’m playing the game proper but he loves just running/driving about and discovering things.

Though of your great exclusives list I’d probably only include ZombiU there.

#25 1 year ago
  26. monkeygourmet

@24, 25

It’s obviously subjective though. I feel the same about alot of Sony exclusives. People praise the number and variety, but I personally don’t see the same quality.

Last of Us being a good example. I love the atmosphere but am finding the gameplay seriously lacking so far. I can’t imagine me ever wanting to play it again after completion.

The main reason for my list was pointing out the exclusives and unique games.

Something like Game and Wario was cheaply priced and is a really good laugh as a party game. Got some fun single player stuff too. Basically it develivers exactly what it was intended to for the price.

I think a lot of games in my list are or will be pretty highly rated; 7 or more across the board. And there’s really good variety too. Shooters, survival horror, puzzle, party games, RPG, platformers, racing games…

That’s some pretty good going considering the entry price of the console is almost half that of its nearest competitor.

#26 1 year ago