Xbox product planning boss says hardware analysis between consoles is “meaningless”

Friday, 28th June 2013 16:31 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Xbox product planning boss Albert Penello feels that hardware analysis is “meaningless” because it’s all about the games.

Speaking with OXM, Penello said there are very few gamers who will buy consoles for the specs alone, so there is no sense in comparing Xbox One and PS4.

“As a matter of fact, they actually go out and they talk about how proud they are about their off-the-shelf parts. Our guys’ll say, we touched every single component in the box and everything there is tweaked for optimum performance. For me, I’d rather not even have the conversation, because it’s not going to matter.

“The box is going to be awesome. The games are going to be awesome. I heard this exact same argument last generation and it’s a pointless argument, because people are debating things which they don’t know about. They’re not [head silicon engineer] Nick Baker or [corporate vice president of IEB hardware Todd Holmdahl], and I’m not [lead PS4 architect] Mark Cerny, so why are we having this discussion?”

Penello said gamers will pick a console based on its games and not the tech running it, as that is all they care about.

“So the whole numbers game – yeah, I’ve been following it online and it’s like, we tried having that argument last time,” he said. “Do I want to talk about HDMI 1.3 or 1.4, it’s like ‘argh!’ It doesn’t matter. Did you see Call of Duty, it looks fucking awesome! It’s going to be great, you know. So we’re just saying, it’s not worth the debate.”

1. fearmonkey

““The problem is that Sony decided to go out and publish a bunch of numbers, which are in some ways meaningless,” he said. “Because this isn’t like 1990, when it was 16-bit versus 32-bit.”"

Says the guy with the less powerful console………….

2. Gheritt White

“Did you see Call of Duty…”

Yeah, and it didn’t move me. Not like The Order: 1886 did.

3. alterecho

We shall see when they do a comparison like how they did Fallout 3 360 vs PS4.

4. Lengendaryboss

COD great game to pick there, an annualised game worthy of the excitement for millions of COD junkie fans.

But he is right, it is about the games.

5. dizzygear

Console manufacturer has the best specs ITS ALL ABOUT RAW POWER!
    Console manufacturer has the worst specs ITS ALL ABOUT GAMES!

Some things never change…

6. actuallyisnotafox

XD oh god, sure microsoft sure

7. WENDiGO

It’s hard to take him seriously when he’s the one with the less powerful console. If you ask me, i’d say he’s right about most (not all) of the gamers buy consoles for games…BUT the devs have to worry about the specs don’t they? Last thing you want is for the developers to feel limited with what they can do earlier than they should. In the long run it will become noticeable when a console is lacking power to keep up with the times.

8. Ristas

Yes, yes, i know. We want to freak out and point and him and laugh…but he is right.

The PS3 is the more powerful console. Yet, NO ONE will ever buy a PS3 because of that. Simply because it doesn’t matter. People buy a PS3 because of it’s exclusives – and yes, Uncharted 2 or 3 probably wouldn’t have been possible on Xbox 360. But think about when they came out and how many other games look like that on PS3. It’s about what games do with the console, now what it theoratically CAN do (something i keep telling Wii U owners…)

9. Lengendaryboss

If its about the games why didn’t they adopt that mentality at the reveal?

10. Fin

Normally I’d say he’s right, but the same architecture, but one console has significantly faster ram? I think that’s a spec advantage.

Course, none of it matters, cos X1′s power is infinite, cos of The Cloud.

11. The_Red

It’s fair to say these talks are kinda pointless but to defend it with Call of Duty? Ghosts looks worse than most current gen games (The Last of Us, Gears 3 or even the freaking Crysis 2 looked better).

12. DrDamn

I thought it was all about the number of transistors?

He is right of course. Games and ecosystem is more important by a significant way.

13. Francis O

True, it’s about the games.

That’s why the 3DS is the best selling dedicated gaming device in the world right now, despite being one of the weakest specs wise.

14. vgyliu

Its true but i still want the one thats more powerful because it would mean you might squeeze a little more power out of the system before they have to replace the console with a more powerful one.

15. Joe Musashi

And how much does all this “meaningless” sentiment mean when your cohorts are talking about “power of the cloud” and using factors of “10″ and “infinite” in terms of power?

Not a very consistent message. “Look at our Cloud Power!!” / “Comparing power is meaningless”. Something, somewhere doesn’t add up.

Any official spokesperson, speaking to an official magazine, by way of making remarks of their competitor’s product/approach.. ..yeah. I think we all know how much credence to give that – unless you’re already a True Believer and ready to auto-repeat the spiel of the companyman.

Value to the consumer is when it becomes meaningful to them. At this point everything is vapourware because nothing is in the hands of the consumer.

JM

16. azrael8577

He’s absolutely right but he sounds butt-hurt about PS4 being alot more powerful.

I didn’t give a damn about Xbox 360 until a game I wanted was canceled on the PS3 so when I jumped from the PS2, I got a 360 for the game. Years later I bought a PS3 because of Heavy Rain.

The PS4 may have better looking multiplat games, but I highly doubt they will make anyone envious. If specs and graphics matter that much to u, then stop bullshitting and get a pc

17. Gheritt White

@6: I DO NOT BELIEVE YOU ARE NOT A FOX. I DEMAND PICTORIAL EVIDENCE.

18. fps_d0minat0r

so then whats the point of releasing xbox one?
    Why dont they make games for xbox 360?

19. ps3fanboy

sonys ps4 have shown its powers and games have been run on the actual hw, that back up the numbers they have. while micro$hafts xbone have yet to show any game run on it(they used win7 pcs at e3!). and are talking about number of transistors, LOL!… only “meaningless” here is micro$hafts xbones.

20. Bill_E_Talent

SECRET SAUCE EXPOSED!

The power of the cloud confirmed to be using magic!

“You bought a system to play great games and have great experiences. I feel like our games and experiences are going to be every bit as good, if not better, technically – on top of all the magic we’re going to add with the instant switching, and the power of the cloud.”

Exciting times gentleman!

(Sorry, couldn’t resist)

21. Bill_E_Talent

@19 Didn’t you get perma-banned?

22. Maguire82

@19 and where is your proof to back up your conspiracy?

23. ps3fanboy

@22 nope, i didn’t do anything wrong…

24. CyberMarco

@20 – Ooooh! Magic!

25. Dendroball

@ps3fanboy Oh come on I know you’re trying hard to find an argument to justify your fanboyism but please don’t use the “MS have run their games on pcs and not the actual hardware” cause you will just look stupid as Sony undoubtedly did it too.

26. machy

and u still ask me to pay 500$ ..

27. Ireland Michael

I couldn’t agree with him more.

It’s all about the games. Buy whichever format has the games you want to play on it, and to hell with whatever someone else is playing their games on. It doesn’t affect *your* gaming experience, and it shouldn’t matter to you one way or the other.

28. fearmonkey

@16 – “Did all u people saying this guy is full of shit buy an original Xbox because it was more powerful than the PS2? No?”

Yep!!! I most certainly wanted a Xbox over a PS2 because of the more powerful hardware.

“If specs and graphics matter that much to u, then stop bullshitting and get a pc”

I have one, a very nice one, but I also like consoles because of console only titles and the larger multiplayer player pool. specs and Graphics do matter to me, which is one reason I am favoring the ps4.

29. JGMR

Probably being said because they don’t want us to know their own (probably inferior) statistics and use a fairly legitimate statement as a distraction. Gotta love their PR talk, good entertainment.

30. xxJPRACERxx

“because people are debating things which they don’t know about”

“Do I want to talk about HDMI 1.3 or 1.4, it’s like ‘argh!’ It doesn’t matter. Did you see Call of Duty, it looks fucking awesome! It’s going to be great, you know.”

I agree with him 100%. People that like COD don’t know shit!

31. merrc

@25 I believe you’re wrong, sir. Perhaps you should do som research before stating that Sony also ran their games on PCs.
    Developers themselves have been stated that everything they showed at E3 was running on PS4 hardware, that’s the developers’ words, not Sony’s.

32. gargus

Of course Microsoft would say that, the xbox one is slightly inferior to the PS4 in terms of hardware.

They have to say something to downplay that fact.

I guarantee you though if they had the superior hardware they would be waving that flag every chance they got.