Metal Gear Solid newbies should start with MGS3 due to modern controls, says Kojima

Friday, 28th June 2013 20:11 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

For those just starting out with the Metal Gear Solid series, Hideo Kojima suggests you begin with Metal Gear Solid 3.

Speaking on Twitter, Kojima said after you finish MGS3, you should move straight into Metal Gear Solid 4. His reasoning: the more modern controls.

“I often get asked ‘which title one should play if haven’t done MGS series?’. Play MGS3 as control is more modern, if you liked it then MGS4,” he said. “MGS1+2 has [a] camera [with a] bird-eye view. If you want to learn the story, then just read the novels [included in the Legacy Collection].

“When the concept of the Legacy Collection was brought [up at a sales team meeting], the development side stated that it’d be hard for current users to play MGS1. Since it’s a bird-eye view, you can’t really see the front side which makes it hard to self-adjust for someone accustomed to FPS/TPS.

“I’d suggest [Peace Walker] for younger gen, but it’s hard to play solo unless you do co-op [with] PSP online. Hard boss battle if you like to take [the] time and play.”

The Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection contains: Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2: HD Edition, Metal Gear Solid 3: HD Edition, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD Edition, Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions and Metal Gear Solid 4: Trophy Edition.

Expect it in stores July 9 on PS3.

Thanks, Siliconera.

1. JGMR

Not being able to see everything around you made MGS1 a lot more intense than it’s subsequent sequels. Limitations can be for the good.

#1 1 year ago
  2. BrokenIcarus

whoah I have no clue why he would say that. I would never want anyone to miss out the masterpieces that are 1+2 just because they have unconventional controlls. Seriously reading them and playing them is a vastly different experience.

#2 1 year ago
  3. SplatteredHouse

“If you want to learn the story, then just read the novels ”
    WTAF.

#3 1 year ago
  4. lexph3re

I understand his reasoning. I’ve heard lots of people get upset with classic Psone controls playing these games because they aren’t use to the layout. Kinda falls in my whole theory of people’s perspectives of ergonomic controllers.

#4 1 year ago
  5. CyberMarco

Release the collection in Europe pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

#5 1 year ago
  6. YoungZer0

I doubt you can catch up on the story of MGS. The old games are simply too outdated. Also the story is a shitfest.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Clupula

I actually recommend people start with MGS3 as well, but only because I think the story is best played in chronological order.

Still, there is so much weird in this interview. Telling people not to play the other games? Telling people they should play Peace Walker co-op with people with PSP’s instead of other people with PS3′s?

I am hoping this is just another mistranslated interview.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Clupula

Oh, it’s from Twitter. Then I don’t know what the fuck is wrong with him.

#8 1 year ago
  9. pukem0n

i actually still think MGS2 was the best of them all :shrug:

#9 1 year ago
  10. YoungZer0

@9: Naw, it was MGS2 where people started to ask themselves if this Hideo guy really okay in his head.

Bi-Sexual Vampires running on water, people with no powers holding back missiles, “There was nothing in your room!”, “The La-Le-Lu-Le-Lo!”, “BROTHER!”, “I’m solid snake!” “No, me!” “No, me!”, “I wonder if Otacon is okay with me dating Emma!”, “I need scissors!”.

etc.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Clupula

@9 – You and I cannot be friends then.

MGS2 is the game that made me briefly quit the series. It took me a VERY long time to be convinced to pick up MGS3 (which ended up becoming my favorite game of all time) because of how awful I thought MGS2 was.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Nerdgazm

I personally think MGS1 is the best. I thought the characters and boss types where the best of the series. I’m probably the only one who thinks that.

#12 1 year ago
  13. JGMR

@10 MGS2 is one of the deepest games ever made. Hideo wanted people to question their everyday reality and be able to learn the difference between reality and illusion among other things…

Imo the best MGS, yes.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Stardog

@12 – Agreed. It’s the only one that doesn’t require you to skip every cutscene because they’re so long.

I don’t get why they bringing Ocelot back. They’ve already undermined the entire character so much that’s he’s not interesting at all.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Clupula

MGS2 is the only game I’ve ever played where I skipped dialogue of a character. That constant annoying nagging Rose would do after I’d save…I couldn’t stand it. When it came time to save her in the game, I remember thinking, “No! I don’t want to! Let her die, so I don’t have to have her ask me for the five hundredth time what day tomorrow is!”

#15 1 year ago
  16. Kieran

MGS2 is the weakest of the franchise !! back tracking, dialogue, the bosses wernt that imaginative either !! MGS3 is by far the best

#16 1 year ago
  17. absolutezero

“Jack remember the time that…”

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

#17 1 year ago
  18. JGMR

@15 That was the whole idea behind the game: The tanker episode was fueling the gamers’ expectations, and so did the hyped demo and magazines earlier on. The plant chapter was made to be excessively annoying BECAUSE Hideo wanted you to think about HYPE itself. Hideo created the game for that exact purpose. He’s a true artist.

#18 1 year ago
  19. YoungZer0

@18: Sounds like the dumbest excuse anyone could come up with.

“See, the my game was not bad, I just wanted you to think about hype.”

“Sure Hideo *pat Hideo on the head*, sure.”

#19 1 year ago
  20. JGMR

@19 Sure. That’s why the differences between the two chapters are humongous! That’s why every five fucking seconds you’ll get another codec call. And why everything gets explained AGAIN. That’s why you’re stick with that annoying Raiden instead of the gamer’s idolized hero Snake.

People fell prey by their own expectations. You gotta be able to admit that you’ve deceived yourself by living towards something NOT WORTH IT.

Check out the link I posted. :)

#20 1 year ago
  21. kaspoll

There several different ways to play the metal gear canon series, These are …

(BY RELEASE DATE)

(SOLID SNAKE’S STORY)

Metal Gear
    Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake
    Metal Gear Solid
    MGS 2 Sons of Liberty
    MGS 4 Guns of the Patriots

(SHORT VERSION OF SNAKE’S STORY)

(1998) Metal Gear Solid *
    (2001) MGS 2 Sons of Liberty
    (2008) MGS 4 Guns of the Patriots

(*) Contains a brief history of both prequels.

(BIG BOSS’S STORY)

MGS 3 Snake Eater
    MGS Portable Ops
    MGS Peace Walker
    MGS Ground Zeroes
    MGS The Phantom Pain

(SHORT VERSION OF BIG BOSS’S STORY)

(2006) MGS Portable Ops *
    (2010) MGS Peace Walker *
    (- – - -) MGS Ground Zeroes
    (- – - -) MGS The Phantom Pain

(*) Both games will reveal the mayor events & plot that took place in the prequel MGS 3 Snake Eater

#21 1 year ago