PS4 and Xbox One’s PC tech make PC the platform of choice – Alienware

Thursday, 27th June 2013 08:47 GMT By Dave Cook

PS4 and Xbox One are further proof that consoles are becoming more like PCs, Alienware’s general manager Frank Azor has suggested. The shift towards PC components over the years has resulted in PC becoming the gaming format of choice, they say.

Speaking with PCGamesN, Azor said, “If you look at what Sony and Microsoft are doing, they’re taking PCs and putting them into the living room. It’s an AMD CPU, it’s an AMD graphics card, it’s a standard desktop hard drive. It’s unbelievable.

“That tells you that the PC is the gaming platform of choice out there, there is nothing out there that’s better. You look at what they’re trying to do and they’re becoming more and more like PCs.”

Azor continued to list the similarities between next-gen consoles and traits that have been common to PC for years. “You’re installing games now instead of running them off the disc, because that’s the right thing to do; you’re downloading games digitally, which we’ve been doing on PC for years; they’re integrating certain TV aspects and stuff, well, ten years ago we started experimenting with media centre.

“I mean we can tell you how to do that on Alienware with media centre PCs during that whole time. It’s a little bit different now because the technology has matured considerably, but a lot of the innovations and things that are proven on the PC are making their ways onto consoles and the consoles are looking more and more like PCs every day.”

Azor cited the PS4 and Xbox One’s AMD tech as key evidence of a shift towards the PC mind-set, and added that the PC format’s biggest games underline its dominance in the industry. “Look at the most widely played games out there, League of Legends, World of Tanks,” he said. “I mean these are the most widely played games in terms of hours played in the industry. And up until this week those were exclusive PC titles.”

Is PC influencing console gaming in a big way? Is it the dominant platform seeing as most of us have one? Let us know what you think of Azor’s comments below.

1. KineticCalvaria

He does kinda have a point, although this article is sure to bait the fanboys. Personally I like the comfort of using a console, as well as using my pc for the graphics essentially.

#1 10 months ago
  2. Dave Cook

@1 Any fanboy baiting is unintentional tbh, people can get mad about it if they want :)

In my opinion, more power and similar platforms to make life for devs = we all win :D

#2 10 months ago
  3. KineticCalvaria

@2, oh I know, you can’t stop posting news for that reason anyway, I’m just using my powers of foresight. :D

Totally agree with you, really looking forward to some great games next gen.

#3 10 months ago
  4. Djoenz

Its funny that he mentioned two MMO’s. -__-
    I wont buy a pc rig too expensive. I have a decent social life I need to maintain. I dont need to waste my precious monay and time for a game pc.

#4 10 months ago
  5. Aullah

Isnt Alienware a company who sells overpriced crap to the pc platform? Yes it is.

#5 10 months ago
  6. John117

Considering how overly expensive Alienware is, it’s no wonder he is trying to win more console players to the PC side. As for me, I have a decent PC and a Xbox 360, but I prefer the ease of social console gaming any day compared to having a big box stuck in my room.

#6 10 months ago
  7. machy

and PC becoming more like tablets .. lol

#7 10 months ago
  8. Stardog

Until the PC has an open marketplace it is not the platform of choice.

Considering most people can barely even run Witcher 2, we won’t be seeing many people playing PS4/XBone games on PC.

When 2/3 video game startups decide to make PC games, then it’ll be the platform of choice. As of right now, making a PC only startup will most likely lead to bankrupcy.

#8 10 months ago
  9. Gekidami

Its not about the components but the OS, in till there are PC’s with OS’ made specifically for gaming (which is the case for consoles) there will be very little similarities.

#9 10 months ago
  10. OwnedWhenStoned

I’ve got a PC and a PS3 and do 90%+ of my gaming on the PC. The PS3 sits pretty much idle apart from Netflix.

I find the PC way more comfortable to game on because I have the choice of which hardware to use.

Also, because I’m disabled, the openness of the PC is very handy. Many times I’ve been burned by PS3 games because of the lack of control configuration. With the PC there’s usually an .INI file to edit.

#10 10 months ago
  11. BrahManDude

yeah the only reason i get console is because of the exclusives and the controller but other than that PC is better

#11 10 months ago
  12. MFBB

#10 really? I am also injured, my spine is damaged in serval places and I prefer my PS3.

More comfortable on the couch and I dont have to do anything, just put in the disk and play (sometimes there is 2-10min installation).

But I guess it also depends on what kind of injury a person has.

On topic, consoles have always been PCs in different cases with a little bit different architecture/setup …nothing else they could be :)

Stupid PR talk again from a overprices PC seller

But something that could be mentioned is that now every console game (exclusive or multiplatform/including PC ports) will be optimized for AMD hardware.

Would never have exptected that Nvidia/Intel get owned so hard and all 3 consoles end up using AMD hardware.

#12 10 months ago
  13. undermyrules

Nothing new…even before annaunsments of next gen everybody knew that PC will be always superior thing than consoles…nothing new Alienware.. :flies away:

#13 10 months ago
  14. DSB

@12 It won’t have any influence on PC ports. Nvidia own more than half the market, and AMD owns about a third.

With AMD doing as poorly as they are, I think this was a deal they needed a lot more than Intel and Nvidia ever did, so my guess is that they pretty much had to underbid them.

This may see them supplying, what? 140 million consoles over 8 years? PCs move 140 million units every six months.

#14 10 months ago
  15. wickedcricket

Anyone who thinks there will be a release of next-gen consoles (after PS4 and XB1 of course) will be very disappointed, I’m afraid. This gen life span will be lesser than PS3 and X360, around 5-8 years and next big thing, with all the tech progress etc. etc. will be a focus on High-End PC’s, that not only will replace consoles but will be something more or less of a ‘domestic use’ centralized very powerful workstation, which not only be responsible for running our fridges, air conditioning, lights etc. etc. but also gaming. Even current architecture proves it and all the signs are showing that consoles are a dead-end, which would explain why there is no such a big improvement in tech/performance comparing to previous gen.

#15 10 months ago
  16. Ge0force

I prefer pc for shooters, RTS, adventures and hack & slash, but Alienware is really overpriced. I’ve built a game-pc for €600 and I can play Metro LL and The Witcher 2 in full HD with almost every setting on max. Alienware pc with the same performance costs 3 times as much.

#16 10 months ago
  17. OwnedWhenStoned

@12 my disability is in my hands, so flexibility is key for me, something that consoles are awful at.

I like my PS3 and would play more games on it, but there is no way for me to tell whether the game will let me reconfigure the controls before purchase, so I don’t take the risk very often.

#17 10 months ago
  18. noamlol2

well if alienware wasn’t over-priced as hell more people would be able to afford it and the alienware brand it be more popular

#18 10 months ago
  19. ps3fanboy

this article is like a gift to the peecee master race trolling. it will drive people away from the site… what where you thinking dave cook???

#19 10 months ago
  20. Dave Cook

@19 Don’t shoot the messenger. Shoot yourself, if possible.

#20 10 months ago
  21. Samoan Spider

@20 Hahahaha!

#21 10 months ago
  22. ps3fanboy

@20 it is shot not shoot.. legendarychump told me last night… anyway you shouldn’t tell your readers to kill them self. that can get you fired… just saying.

#22 10 months ago
  23. Ekona

@22: I think in your case, it’s okay to make an exception ;)

Y’know, for the greater good.

#23 10 months ago
  24. Koala

It’s me or Azor suggests that League of Legends will come on consoles ?

#24 10 months ago
  25. ps3fanboy

@23 there is nothing to joke about when it comes to suicide. i understand your a hurt peecee master race, but at least keep your insults clever and relevant to the topic. now your only make an ass out of yourself…

#25 10 months ago
  26. OlderGamer

I have to agree. Not a big Alienware fan, too pricy like everyone knows. It does get the job done however. But as I sit here and mull over my next gen direction, PC seems the logical choice. Maybe grab a new console down the road for exclusives when they are cheaper.

#26 10 months ago
  27. OwnedWhenStoned

@25 Apart from Clown suicide of course

#27 10 months ago
  28. MCTJim

500 bucks vs 2000 bucks..hmmm no brainer for me

#28 10 months ago
  29. Ireland Michael

@28 Anyone can make a PC that completely smashes the specs of the console for roughly the same price as they are worth. It’s easy enough to make a solid gaming PC for $500 nowadays.

Anyone… the on,t format that matters is… the one you want to play your games on.

I will never understand why people care.

#29 10 months ago
  30. OlderGamer

The thing is MCTJim, it isn’t really just that straight up. It isn’t just hardware.

Consoles games retail at high prices. And even when I go to Gamestop now I find old games for 30usd+. If you factor in Steam Sales you can get entire games(w/dlc) for 5usd or 10usd. They commonly have 30%, 50%, even 75% and more off of new(er) releases.

The price difference drops dramaticly over time. To a point of favoring the PC often times. Esp when you consider what Mike just said is true. A good PC doesn’t cost 2000usd.

And you understand the real reason behind MS pushing for used games DRM right? Price control. If they went all digital, it will be price fixing left and right. Four year old games for 50usd and all of that.

Now I am not saying Consoles are completely lacking merit, but there is a reason it seems so many gamers play on PC. Well, many reasons tbh.

#30 10 months ago
  31. DSB

I think PC gaming is definitely expensive. If you make a PC purely intended to run everything now, then you might be saving money compared to a high powered rig, but it won’t last very long.

It’s all about future proofing in my opinion. You spend a lot so you won’t be spending anything for a good while. And that’s arguably always going to be more expensive than consoles.

On the bright side you then have a machine that’ll do a lot more, and pull a lot more horsepower, even when you take into account that consoles are more efficient.

#31 10 months ago
  32. OlderGamer

But DSB, again as a gamer you need to factor in the price of the games too. If someone gave you hardware(PC or Console) and it was up to you to buy the software to run on it, PC will cost you less. A lot less.

Plus you have to factor in stuff like user made mods, backwards compatability, and more. I just don’t think it is a big of a difference as some folks think it is.

#32 10 months ago
  33. MCTJim

@30 I understand your points and I dont disagree, I just bought a ATI card for my PC that was 200 bucks but i got it on sale for 50 bucks less. My point was more directed at the over priced alienware systems..I realize that you can buy a decent rig for under 700 bucks, but by the time I add in the decent keyboard and mouse for gaming, I am up back to 1000 bucks. Consoles really fit the masses when it comes to gaming really imo.

#33 10 months ago
  34. silkvg247

In the past month I’ve bought about 30 PC games for like £20 total.. yeah it’s really expensive to be a gamer on PC. ;)

I think if I had 20% of the titles I have on PC, on console instead, then that console would have cost me twice as much as my PC + all my PC games. And it’s a real high spec PC.

#34 10 months ago
  35. DSB

@32 The reality is that we all pay according to what we conceive as value. Ultimately it’s going to come down to what matters to you.

To me the price of a PC is justified by the fact that I can do so much with it beyond just gaming, to someone else it might be the horsepower, and to a lot of others both arguments may seem like madness because of the pricetag.

At the end of the day I think we all put our money where we feel we get the best value.

Personally I’ve never been scraping together mountains of gold and spending it all on a PC thinking “This is such a sensible and responsible choice”. It’s purely been about the joy of using the beast :P

#35 10 months ago
  36. ashishkashyap25

#36 10 months ago
  37. OlderGamer

I agree with that, old saying: Things are only worth what you are willing to pay for them. Everyone has a different value.

#37 10 months ago
  38. dizzygear

@31 Future proofing is not that relevant anymore because the huge performance leaps in hardware are long past us. Last years midrange hardware can easily run new games at respectable framerates if you tweak the graphics settings a bit.

It only gets expensive if you want to run games at the highest settings but that is more or less a niche market these days.

#38 10 months ago
  39. DSB

@38 I don’t agree. I have a mid-range rig in the US and a highpowered rig in the EU, and the mid-range is holding on for dear life, while the beast rig has gone from maxed settings to medium settings over the course of two years.

So at least in my experience, it’s the same way it’s always been. It’s slowed down compared to something like the late 90′s, and it’s mostly GPU-based, but the bar is still being raised all the time.

#39 10 months ago
  40. dizzygear

@39 My humble i5 Sandy Bridge/GT540M laptop still runs the latest games at decent framerates. Than again first thing i do in the settings is turn off anti aliasing and advanced shading effects since those often will make the poor machine beg for mercy.
    But he as long as it runs im happy.

But from what i read on Intel’s Hashwell chips are more about energy efficiency than a performance leap and i kinda suspect the hardware vendors will all steer in that direction in the future.

#40 10 months ago
  41. NinjaHart

I do agree that consoles are becoming more like PCs, but for me the PC is more of a 1-person gaming station.

A PC will never replace the social gaming part as gaming with family or friends. It just a better feeling on console than it is on PC. :)

@ps3fanboy

1: This article is mostly quotes, it’s not Dave that is saying these things. He’s pretty much putting a questionmark on the subject, not trying to convince anyone.

2: I do agree with you on the suicide part, that’s not a joke and I don’t think someone working here should ever even joke about that.

3: As in the context of “shooting one self”, “shoot” is correct, “shot” is wrong. Just saying.

4: As for insults and making a huge ass of one s
    lf. From a lot of your former posts, I think you are pretty high up on that list.

#41 10 months ago
  42. TheWulf

There are some MMOs that have tessellation, at least. Can you name a PS3 or XBox 360 game that has tessellation? So you may want to think before putting them down.

That’s a notion that belongs back int he early ’00s, it’s invalid.

You can get a PC that looks like a console, these days, and behaves like one, too. The only differences would be bonuses.

The games would look better on it than they do on consoles, you’d be able to use mods due to it being an open architecture, and you’d be able to take advantage of insane Steam sales. You’d make the money back from a good gaming PC within the year thanks to the sales.

Look into Steam’s Big Picture mode, and some of the “Steambox”-styled consoles.

Your view of things is very outdated. Sorry.

What?

The PC has numerous open marketplaces. They’re on this place called the Internet. Maybe you’ve heard of it?

For all of its other problems, Windows 8 is an exceedingly light OS, and with the right configuration you can pretty much have a computer almost exclusively running a game.

I know what you mean, it’s because older operating systems were designed in a less modular way but that’s not true any more. Razor even has a tool which is designed to shut down applications when you start a game, then open them when you’re finished with it. With software like this and a recent OS, you can easily attain console levels of performance on an average computer.

Your views are outdated.

This is getting silly because it seems a number of people are basing their views on very old computers and very old operating systems. It shows.

Exactly.

There are merits to the open platform, and one of them is that you can tinker with a game’s configuration files and even mod the game. There are many times when there is a game I can’t play on consoles because I’m disabled as well. The open architecture on the PC though means I’m able to go digging and — developer willing — tweak things to my liking.

Options are the core of the PC experience. Console owners don’t have very many options at all, and they’re locked into a single, closed marketplace. That’s the primary difference of having an open platform.

Again, an outdated view. You can get a small computer and hook it up to your television with a HDMI cable, and then use Steam’s Big Picture mode. If you’d actually give it a try, you’d find that the PC is better at being a console than a console is.

And once you accept that and get past that hurdle, you can then tinker with the files to create truly custom-made gaming experiences.

This notion that computers are tied to desktops is outdated.

I mean, really. This is 2013, not 2003.

@28/31

You’re not correct, here. Again, if you go with refurbished hardware and you buy your stuff in sales, you can get a computer that would make next generation consoles weep for less than a next generation console would cost you. It’s all about being smart.

If you’re throwing your money at Alienware for the same thing with a brand name on it, that’s your own folly.

I think it’s an antiquated mindset that PC gaming has to be expensive. Get out of ’03 and into ’13, and actually shop around and think about what you’re buying. You’ll find that computers aren’t as expensive as you think, and with the cheaper games and sales, you’ll make up any difference (if you pay over) within a year whilst still having a way more powerful machine.

This is the nature of things.

I was waiting for someone to point that out. This is part of why their views are so antiquated, because they’re not taking into account factors which are relevant to today’s market.

Let’s consider…

1.) Games have to be compatible with consoles, whose hardware will remain static for roughly a decade. And the jump in hardware with the XBox One and PS4 is, in all honesty, miniscule. The so–called next generation is still, basically, PC hardware from years ago in many respects. Thus buying a computer at the same time as a console will provide you with a computer that will last as long as them.

2.) The arms race is slowing down. Back in the early ’00s you had a hardware arms race going on, but since about ’06 it’s been gradually slowing because there’s only so far you can go with the hardware. Mostly, these days, AMD and Nvidia are mostly competing on game bundles or features, or even looking to expand their markets. No matter whether computer or console, the hardware can only go so far.

You have to understand both of these points. Once you do, you can see why their views are antiquated. Future-proofing hasn’t been necessary since around ’08 at the latest, because things have come pretty much to a crawl.

I’m old, but I’m a lot more hip than most of the commenters here as I can actually remain current and relevant. :P

You completely missed #39′s point, didn’t you? Good job. Read mine, above, it might be easier to understand.

Whilst the PC arms race is still going on, it’s incredibly slow, and since most games are designed to run on console hardware there’s very little point in having a super-computer anyway. Having something that far surpasses a console is pointless.

The bounties of a computer aren’t in superior hardware, but in an open platform. If consoles ever became open platform, I’d probably become a console owner.

I recently got a computer for $180 for a friend of mine. It leaves her XBox 360 in the dust. And please note that that’s dollars, not pounds. So yeah, I get where you’re coming from.

But some people are willfully antiquated and clueless.

#42 10 months ago
  43. TheWulf

Steam Big Picture mode. HDMI connectors. Multiple USB inputs.

Stop living in 2003. :I

#43 10 months ago
  44. Samoan Spider

@41 I use my PC for couch gaming all the time, using Steam BPM as #43 says, and wireless 360 controllers. Sorted :D

#44 10 months ago
  45. DSB

@40 But in doing that then you’re also putting yourself firmly behind the consoles. Like I said, if the objective is just to run everything now, then you won’t have to spend much.

If you want to be running everything in good quality for the next two years, it’s gonna take an investment. Same as always.

And let’s not forget the shoddy ports. There’s a lot of bad optimizations out there, and I’m glad I have a highpowered rig in those instances.

I remember talking to YoungZero about Arkham City on the PC. Supposedly it’s really poorly optimized, but I didn’t even notice it.

#45 10 months ago
  46. NinjaHart

@43\44 I never said it wasn’t possible, I just said that it don’t give the same social feeling as it does with a console, and part of that is borrowing games and such. But that is my opinion, PC and console gaming provides a different feeling for me personally.

@45 I also have a gaming PC, games like Skyrim, Borderlands, Far Cry and such is cooler for me to play on PC, but games like Final Fantasy, Star Ocean, Burnout, Kindom Hearts. Are games I prefer to play on consoles. As I said that they give different feeling to the gaming, also includes that there are different type of games I prefer to play on consoles and on PC.

#46 10 months ago
  47. nollie4545

People this thick should be banned from owning PCs and forced to play consoles only.

Anyway, lets get this straight once again.

AMD are on the ropes. Their product ranges are pants compared to Intel and Nvidia and they know it. They have also lost volume in sales after the monumental bulldozer flop. Their only hope now is to flog this cheap and cheerful all in one APU which neither Intel or Nvidia want to touch because its low tech, low rate and low margin and will not push any performance envelope. It’s like Ferrari deliberately aiming to build a car which is slower, heavier, thirstier and cruder than its predecessor. You don’t spend billions of dollars bringing a product range to its peak only to then go back in time.

AMDs solution for the console market was solid dirt cheap because neither console maker could afford the genius of intel and Nvidia in their box.

System on a chip architecture is not new or clever and does not offer any performance advantage to a conventional design. This technology has been around for over a decade. If it was so great, then gaming PCs would already have it. The market for computer hardware is probably at least ten times the size of the console market from all makers combined.

A $500 PC will readily crush these next gen consoles, and a $1000 PC will be streets ahead.

Those who say buying a PC which is hugely more potent than a console is a waste of time are deluded. The faster your PC and the more potent the GPU the faster you can run games and the higher your quality pre-sets will be, meaning you get more value from the content you are purchasing in games. Consolers, on the other hand, pay more and have lower settings and thus, less content.

#47 10 months ago
  48. Maabren

Have to use both systems. Different gaming, different room, different sosial experience. But Frank Azor don’t get it. We all want to make our own choice. That’s all.

#48 10 months ago
  49. Lengendaryboss

@Ps3fanboy
    Looks like i got a shout-out, in that context it is indeed shoot.

#49 10 months ago
  50. fearmonkey

@47 – “Alienware = Dell. This means EXPENSIVE and OVERPRICED crap. Only a fool would ever buy a personal computer from these companies. Its about as dumb as walking into PC World with your credit card out and asking to be butt-raped.”

Mostly true, except that I got a Alienware Aurora R4 for an amazing price through their outlet store for very little, especially for the parts inside, I usually build my own systems, but I needed something fast and didnt want to take the time to build one (it was replacing a system that was falling fast).

Building your own PC is usually the best and cheapest way to go, but I tell you, I love my Aurora. I love it’s case and it’s features and it’s a very cool computer. It’s not perfect and I still prefer building my own, but I don’t think Alienware’s are a bad option at all. My local computer store sold the Aurora for $1800 and the one I got for $1200 had much better parts and goodies, If you manage to get a deal on them, they are pretty decent systems.

#50 10 months ago
  51. Vice

Consoles bring nothing to games aside of nuisances such as lower graphics quality and exclusive games that coulda been available to everyone if they wouldn’t exist. Comfort? Buy a comfortable chair and good expensive mouse. Controller is for handicapped losers.

#51 10 months ago
  52. Ekona

And for those who just want games to simply work when they insert the disc, rather than having to fiddle with settings to get the game to run acceptably on their £600 system.

Just throwing that one out there.

#52 10 months ago
  53. dizzygear

@52 Most PC games auto detect your hardware and adjust the settings accordingly.

Just throwing that one out there.

#53 10 months ago
  54. photonboy

Autoadjust on PC games does NOT work.

Love my GTX680/3770K rig, and use an XBOX Controller for many games (Not for losers BTW. It’s a personal preference and many games are BETTER with a controller.)

This is the first generation of consoles I felt were “good enough” and if I didn’t have a fairly new PC I might get a PS4 instead.

The funny thing is that around 2016 I’ll replace my PC likely. By then I’ll probably see what a PC offers versus a console, sigh, and by the more powerful PC for 4K gaming etc.

Maybe the PS5…

#54 9 months ago
  55. Christopher Jack

@54, Why replace such a good rig? Get a second 680 & you’ll crush the Titan. You can also OC your i7 by quite a bit & Intel’s recent approach doesn’t show any giant leaps for their CPUs to come for quite a while. I mean there was a huge boost over Core 2 Quads with the original i7 & another big boost with second gen i7′s but the gains have been much smaller since. An OC 2600k will match a stock 4770.

#55 9 months ago
  56. ChunkyLover112

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha

“PC the platform of choice”

Hahahahahahahaha