The Last of Us debuts on top in Japan, Vita sees slight jump in unit sales

Wednesday, 26th June 2013 14:44 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

The Last of Us debuted at number one in Japan on the Media Create charts. The PS3 title shifted 117,465 units, knocking last week’s number one Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D to the second spot. It moved another 42,247 for the period, while Tomodachi Collection: New Life continues to thrive at the three spot. It shifted another 34,286 units, bringing its lief-to-date numbers to 1,167,532. The only hardware to show a jump over the prior week was Vita, which moved 13,422 units compared to last week’s 10,664 units. All other hardware offerings were down over the prior week.

Full thing is below.

Here’s the full software chart for June 17-23. Life-to-date sales are in parentheses:

1. [PS3] The Last of Us (SCEJ, 06/20/13) – 117,465 (New)
  2. [3DS] Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (Nintendo, 06/13/13) – 42,247 (146,816)
  3. [3DS] Tomodachi Collection: New Life (Nintendo, 04/18/13) – 34,286 (1,167,532)
  4. [PSV] God Dimension Idol Neptune PP (Compile Heart, 06/20/13) – 29,933 (New)
  5. [3SD] Kuma Tomo (Namco Bandai, 06/20/13) – 12,705 (New)
  6. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf (Nintendo, 11/08/12) – 12,491 (3,290,847)
  7. [3DS] Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon (Nintendo, 03/21/13) – 11,859 (793,519)
  8. [3DS] Farewell Umihara Kawase (Agatsuma Entertainment, 06/20/13) – 11,058 (New)
  9. [PSP] Storm Lover 2nd (D3 Publisher, 06/20/13) – 10,001 (New)
  10. [PSP] Roukyuubu! Himitsu no Otoshimono (Kadokawa Games, 06/20/13) – 9,282 (New)
  11. [PS3] Terraria (Spike Chunsoft, 05/23/13) – 5,192 (47,741)
  12. [PS3] Resident Evil: Revelations (Capcom, 05/23/13) – 4,948 (165,068)
  13. [Wii] Taiko Drum Master Wii Super Wonderful Edition (Namco Bandai, 11/29/12) – 4,723 (502,150)
  14. [PSV] Winning Post 7 2013 (Tecmo Koei, 06/20/13) – 4,413 (New)
  15. [3DS] Chousoku Henkei Gyrozetter: Albatross no Tsubasa (Square Enix, 06/13/13) – 4,079 (22,004)
  16. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission (Namco Bandai, 02/28/13) – 3,957 (212,273)
  17. [3DS] Shin Megami Tensei IV (Atlus, 05/23/13) – 3,898 (245,568)
  18. [3DS] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Best Price!) (Capcom, 11/15/12) – 3,684 (323,656)
  19. [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 (Nintendo, 07/28/12) – 3,191 (2,046,263)
  20. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 (Nintendo, 12/01/11) – 3,122 (2,067,213)

Here’s the full hardware chart for Week 25. Last week’s sales are in parentheses:

• 3DS LL – 28,281 (29,533) (-)
  • 3DS – 14,988 (17,602) (-)
  • PSV – 13,422 (10,664) (-)
  • PS3 – 9,816 (10,872) (-)
  • Wii U – 5,329 (5,983) (-)
  • PSP – 5,091 (5,651) (+)
  • Wii – 1,234 (1,461) (-)
  • 360 – 282 (397) (-)

Thanks, Gematsu.

1. ps3fanboy

look at that not one xbox title so see… and micro$haft claim they are gonna conquer japan with their xbone this fall, LOL… like that is gonna happen ever.

2. ActionGameKing

WHOA! When’s the last time a Western game went #1?

3. Lengendaryboss

Please speak facts if you’re gonna dribble out garbage.

On topic: Pretty impressive that Japan has adopted a Western Title so well and its very impressive that the 3DS cannot be dethroned from its top spot.

4. ps3fanboy

@3 Lengendarychump, suck up your own dribble garbage xbot!

5. KineticCalvaria

‘God Dimension Idol Neptune PP’… yeah sounds awesome…

Such silly game names in Japan.

6. Lengendaryboss

@PS3fanboy

7. wildBoar

This. This soo hard.
    Joelru! Ellie chan!!! Mushroom-sama!!!

8. superjay779

@1 When did Microsoft say they were going to conquer Japan.

9. Lengendaryboss

Ignore him he speaks what he thinks, thinking its a fact.

10. wildBoar

@8 @9 Microsoft has said they want to break into the japanese market, though their having a hard time. The stuff he says is loosely based in facts at times.

11. Lengendaryboss

Oh yes because break into equals conquer.

12. tezzer1985

Anyway….Back on topic, it’s quite an achievement that The Last of Us a western game by naughty dog has done so well in Japan, I think it speaks volumes of just how good this game is..

13. ps3fanboy

@9 Lengendarychump, oh yah… we did see how well the x360 did in japan. now when we also have the xbone drm fiasco, it is clearly the xbone is not gonna come even close to anything the x360 did in japan. it will fail hard over there, it is a fact. so if you have nothing better to do than spread your drivel all over the place. i suggest you take a walk outside your mancave butt weed.

14. Hcw87

Since when is it news that the Japanese buy games on their JAPANESE console? It’s a completely different market, and they couldn’t care less about our western type games (which there are way more of on Xbox compared to Playstation), just like i couldn’t care less about JRPG’s for example. Just not my kind of games. A western console will never do good over there, but honestly, MS shouldn’t care and focus 100% on the western market instead.

It’s like having a US TV Network start broadcasting soccer, while a UK TV Network start broadcasting Football. It just wouldn’t work.

15. Lengendaryboss

I suggest you take a walk out of that fantasy world you’re living in and come back to reality.

16. VibraniumSpork

In other news: Taiko Drum Master Wii Super Wonderful Edition in at #13 with a bullet.

What is this and why aren’t I playing it right now?

17. ps3fanboy

@15 Lengendarychump, you have been shot down by wildBoar, Hcw87 and me… it is clear here who needs to get back to reality, and that is you ass clown!

18. silkvg247

Looks awesome, I want it too :p

19. Hcw87

Didn’t shut down anyone actually, just stating facts.

Another fact:

You got shut down hard there.

20. ps3fanboy

@19 what have that off topic to do with anything here?… ea’s online pass damaged it’s games and impeded the consumer. it’s a fact even ea admitted to it… and by the way i said shot down not shut down.

21. wildBoar

@11 I did say loosely though. He just applies his own logic to things I guess. I’m starting to see the problem with this guy.

22. ps3fanboy

@21 your not the only one, this Lengendarychump is getting on peoples nerves that is for sure.

23. Lengendaryboss

@ps3fanboy
    Clear not “clearly” shot not “shoot” come on fix up :D , seriously are you Francis? because between calling me chump and clown, there are similarities.

No one shut me down, there just defending you.

Now: http://tvrecappersanonymous.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/shes-michael-jackson.gif :D :P :)

24. Lengendaryboss

25. Clupula

I actually agree that Microsoft should focus entirely on the Western Market with the 180. I prefer Japanese games and I’d kinda love it if I never had to worry about any of the games I like being exclusive to Microsoft.

26. actuallyisnotafox

i think we all need to know that no matter what microsoft is winning in japan, bring on the next genration, theyre going to blow japan out of the water!

27. Clupula

@26 – So, a software company is going to attack a country? How does that work exactly?

28. monkeygourmet

They can use Kinect 2.0 to scan and record secrets. What they would do with the thousands of hours of HD video recordings of ‘Otaku’s’ masturbating over hug pillows and Dating Sims I don’t know though?

29. The_Red

Glad to see a truly great game being able to bypass the cultural barrier and post decent sales in Japan where western games don’t usually sell, let alone top the charts.

30. Francis O

Legendarychump

I’m not PS3Fanboy….lol.

But you are a chump and a clown.

31. Lengendaryboss

@Francis
    Chumpy clown? Wheres my pie to chuck in your face? :) Just strange hes employing your words.

32. Clupula

@32 – So, you’re seeing it too, eh?

33. Francis O

Legendarychump suits you….

I always pictured a chump as someone who loves to argue, but when challenged to something bigger (like coming on my show) declines because their scared to look stupid on a bigger stage than VG247 message boards.

That’s why I gave you that nickname as chump. As far as clown goes. Yeah, you are one. Clowns are stupid….so yeah.

The offer to come on my show is always on the table chump. Unless you’re scared…which you clearly are.

34. Lengendaryboss

@Francis
    Scared or sane? Stupid or smart? Debating with a virtal stranger in unknown territory? if thats your definition of brave and wise i suggest you look up a dictionary.

Finally your opinion of me is irrelevant and pointless, get used to it.

35. Francis O

Legendarychump

You’ve seen other people back up my channel as normal. I run my own website in America. I’m on YouTube with over 1000 subs between my two channels.

It’s not like I’m lurking in the shadows of the internet. Now you’re just making excuses. You debate with me on here, so why not on YouTube? It’s not like I’m asking you to put your credit card information online or something.

You’re scared and making excuses….like a chump. My opinion of you is shaped off of what you say on here. And trust me, my words carry much more weight than yours ever will.

36. Lengendaryboss

@Francis
    Your words carrying more weight than mine? Thats subjective i could say the same thing doesn’t change/mean anything. Trust you? A person that launches personal attacks and is begging me to debate i should trust. Yeah next i should trust my anti-social neighbour who swears and has a dog.

I have seen people back up your channel as fun and entertaining, nothing was mentioned about normal. Its unknown territory for me, you are a virtual stranger and why i won’t debate you on Youtube in addition to my “excuses” i don’t do online video debates because i don’t want to thats the main reason. I am more than happy to debate here because its a video game website although debating with you is like debating someone bias you can’t win.

Now i got to go back to juggling pies and bowling balls :)

37. Francis O

Legendarychump

Yes, my words carry far more weight than yours. That’s not subjective. I have more followers and run a website. You don’t. I’ve got subscribers and a following of over 300,000 unique visitors a month on Playeressence. My words carry more weight than yours.

Build a successful YouTube and website then you’ll be in my league, but till then, your words do not carry as much weight as mine.

You’re making excuses again clown. I’m not bias. I have reasons for everything I say.

I’ll stop with the personal attacks if you man up and come on my show. The last thing I want is look spiteful on my own YouTube channel. If we did talk, I would be professional and treat you with respect because you took the time to come on my channel.

38. Clupula

I’m actually unsure of what the debate would even be about at this point, unless you were trying to do some weekly point/counterpoint type thing. The landscape of the videogame industry is in constant flux and changes in situations lead to changes in other situations. Right after E3, it looked Nintendo were in a position to recover, due to Microsoft’s DRM policies. Then when they did their 180, it pushed Nintendo back down. Meanwhile, there’s no word on whether or not Sony will react to what Microsoft is doing.

So, I’m not even sure what you’d hope to accomplish in a debate of this sort or what exactly the topic would be, considering how quickly that all can change in this industry.

39. Lengendaryboss

@Francis
    Ok i am done juggling pies and bowling balls now back to arguing. Its still subjective, i wish i can link that “you don’t me video”. Why is it subjective because your words are your words and my words and my words you can’t prove it has more weight because you have more followers, that means your words are more popular not that it has more weight.

Are you proud your words have more weight with virtual strangers instead of oh i don’t know real people, well whether its true or not i don’t care. I am not interested in building a successful website and youtube page to get into your league and cult of virtual strangers. From my POV that means nothing to me personally so theres no point.

Not coming on no matter what you say: so please drop it. The video debate between Lengendaryboss and Francis will never happen. Look into that sentence however you want. Now i feel like putting my face in this pie and coming up us a silly clown.

@Clupula
    Thats what i was thinking would it be about Nintendo casual stance, kiddy titles, lack of new IPs or about shooters?

40. Francis O

@Clupula

The Xbox One is $499 and only launching in a few countries in 2013. If you actually think the Xbox One is going to outsell the Wii U this fall….I would say you don’t know video game industry much.

While you don’t like Nintendo’s lineup for this summer and fall. They’re actually bringing quite a number of titles to the market that will push sales. DKC, Zelda, Mario, Pikmin, will drive units up. Combine that with the price point. And the Wii U will easily outsell the Xbox One this fall.

Legendaryboss

That’s the whole thing about building a community and gaining credibility. You said it was subjective that my words carry more weight than yours. I proved you wrong. Now you say you don’t care? Why say it’s subjective in the first place? You should have just said you don’t care.

You’re backing down because your arguments are waffer thin.

Nintendo has The Wonderful 101 coming out….that’s a new IP, Harmo Knight, Pushmo, Crashmo, X, Project X Zone are all know IPs from Nintendo.

Nintendo doesn’t f*cking need shooters. That’s the last thing Nintendo needs is wasting time and money on making shooters.

41. Lengendaryboss

@Francis
    I never cared in the first place but its still subjective you never proved anything. Hmmm maybe I should make this crystal clear new notable IPs from their first party teams stop associating second/third party devs with Nintendo. Project X Zone thats not by Nintendo. That last part is your opinion: your just speaking for yourself, i have already debated shooters not going into that again. Diversity is key: i have already gotten bored of Pokemon and thats the only franchise on Nintendo handhelds i enjoy, theres nothing else worth looking into.

42. Francis O

Project X Zone was developed my Monolith Soft – That’s a first party studio clown. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monolith_Soft

“Nintendo owned controlling interest in the company after Namco Bandai sold 80% of its 96% stake in Monolith Soft to Nintendo. This went into effect May 1, 2007.[3] Later Namco sold the remaining 16%, making Monolith Soft a first-party developer for Nintendo.”

Harmo Knight and X are both first party Studios. The Wonderful 101 is Platinum Games but it’s fully funded by Nintendo and they own the IP. Pushmo and Crashmo are Nintendo’s own first party studios as well.

And I’m already bored of the boring brown and grey shooters Sony and MS push on us every year. Exactly what did Sony or MS show off at their press conferences this year that was exclusive and looked innovative or new?

Bayonetta 2 and X were by far the best exclusive at E3. Combine that with Sonic Lost World, Pikmin 3, DKC Tropical Freeze, The Wonderful 101, and Nintendo had the most diverse and innovative line-up of the whole show.

Sony’s two best games were multiplats….FF 15 and Kingdom Hearts 3….everything else was a shooter or Knack, which looked horrible.

43. Lengendaryboss

@Francis
    Its not a fact: its more popular it does not carry more weight you can’t keep asserting something thinking it would be true. Also it does not carry more weight than my words because you personally cannot make that connection.

Project X Zone published by a third party publisher: developed by Nintendo owned developer so its not a New IP by Nintendo like stated at @40 Harmo Knight is from Game Freak: A second party team: so a second party game. X yeah you got your terminology right there. The Wonderful 101 is a Third party game owned by Nintendo. I said notable new IPs never heard of those games from Nintendo. For the shooter part i will refer back to “Diversity is key” and “The last part is your opinion” from above. Below that is your opinion not of those games interested me. MGS5, Driveclub, GTA V, Killzone Shadow Fall, Watch Dogs, Killzone Mercenary, Tearaway, Infamous Second Son were for me.

44. Clupula

Bayonetta 2 will, no doubt, be a ton of fun to play, but the trailer didn’t do anything to blow me away. I saw nothing that would make me care about the game if I wasn’t already a fan of the first one. And X looked alright. Not mind blowing and definitely not FFXV-levels, but alright.

As for the game that got me the most excited, it was MGSV. If I had to skip every other game shown at E3 and only play one of them, that would be the one I chose.

And if you really think that Wonderful 101 is going to sell systems, then you don’t know anything about the videogame industry. It’s probably the only Platinum game I’ve ever seen that that doesn’t interest me in the slightest. I don’t like what I’ve seen of the gameplay, at all, and no one who doesn’t already own a Wii U is talking about it.

Not to mention, It’s a sad, but true fact that all but one of Platinum’s games (Metal Gear Rising) has been a commercial failure. Neither Wonderful 101, which doesn’t look that special, or Bayonetta 2, which as I said, I am sure will be fun, but nothing in that trailer got me excited, will sell well either. Platinum have made some of the best games of this gen, but their games just don’t move units.

As for the debate, you really want us to just put on amateur Michael Patcher hats and debate over sales numbers? I don’t have any intention of buying an Xbox One, but all you need to do is look at the Amazon pre-orders to know that both it and the PS4 are going to be the two top sellers this holiday season. The Wii U will get a momentary boost from the first party Nintendo titles, but those will only last a month or two and will not be enough to push the system to the top this holiday season.

45. Clupula

As for the most interesting exclusive of E3, I would have said Dead Rising 3, up until they called in an air strike, which was fucking ridiculous.

So, it goes to Infamous: Second Son.

46. Francis O

Clupula, it’s funny cause I interact with hundreds of people who own Wii U’s and they are all excited for The Wonderful 101. You don’t talk to enough people who own Wii U’s. I run a website with a ton of Nintendo fans….I think I have a better grasp of who is excited for the game or not.

Amazon pre-orders mean nothing.

-Wii U preorders sold out at first week and the Wii U sold more than the PS3 and Xbox 360 for the same time frame.

-The 3DS was Amazon UK’s most preordered system ever, 3DS preorder’s doubled Wii preorders in America

-The Dreamcast had the most successful USA launch at the time it released

-Gamecube’s initial sales outpaced the PS2 and Xbox’s http://money.cnn.com/2001/11/29/technology/ninten

-PSP sales were on par with DS sales in Japan for the first few months

If there’s anything I have learned these past few months, launch sales mean NOTHING.

So I think Mario and a cheaper price point will push sales, and remember…the Xbox One will have ZERO sales in Japan this year. If you really think the Xbox One is going to outsell the Wii U. Man, I feel sorry for you. You know nothing about the gaming industry.

Legendarychump, my words carry more weight. Build a community, get a YouTube and and followers then you’ll be in my league, but till then. You’re just a clown who’s too scared to step away from VG247.

GameFreak is owned by Nintendo, that makes them first party. Just like Retro is first party and Monolith is first party. Nintendo team developed Project X ZOne, they were not allowed to publish it for legal reasons. But it was Monolith who developed it…..Soooo yeah New IP for a Nintendo system. You’re getting really nitpicky with how Nintendo puts out new content for their systems. If it’s new and they had their people work on it…..It’s their IP.

47. Joe Musashi

#42 “It’s not subjective when you have no followers or place to broadcast your words. I do, you don’t. My words carry more weight than yours….fact.”.

#47 “my words carry more weight. Build a community, get a YouTube and and followers then you’ll be in my league”

JM

48. Lengendaryboss

@Francis
    Game Freak is not owned by Nintendo: did i miss an announcement? You’re using the wrong terminology. I not being nitpicky i am just using the correct terminology Project X Zone is not published by Nintendo so its not a New iP by them. Just because its on their system doesn’t mean its a New IP from Nintendo. Just because its was developed by their first party studio and is published by a third party publisher it doesn’t equal it being by Nintendo. “Its their IP” Be that as it may its the terminology slip up that making you wrong. Platinum Games is Third party, Game Freak is Second party the problem: it is not Nintendo’s people.

You’re consistently wrong your words don’t carry more weight its just more popular.

49. Clupula

@46 – Your links don’t disprove my points at all. The Wii U had a stronger start than both the PS3 and the 360. No one is disputing that. What I’m saying is the reason for that is that anyone who wanted one pre-ordered it and got it right away. Why do you think the numbers dropped so quickly, to even sub-first year PS3 numbers? Keeping in mind that the PS3, during the first six months of the new year, was $600 and had pretty much no games, and it still sold better than the first six months of the Wii U’s new year.

All these new sales you think Nintendo are going to get with the release of their first party titles are very small. Most of the people who wanted those titles, pre-ordered and got the system early. Very few people who don’t own Wii U’s are waiting for these titles, Francis.

I’m not quite sure why you feel sorry for me for thinking the Xbone will sell better than the Wii U. I’d say feel sorry for yourself, for how disappointed you’re going to be when it happens. Feel sorry for humanity, in general, when that many people choose to go with brand loyalty simply for the promise of early Call of Duty DLC. Don’t feel bad for me. I’m not buying one. But that doesn’t mean it isn’t still going to sell. I wouldn’t be surprised if it actually sells slightly more than the PS4 in the West.

As for talking to more Wii U owners than I do, that is by choice, because hardcore Nintendo fanboys are the saddest people on earth to talk to. They live in a fantasy world where they do things like debate how awesome it would be if both Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts III are failures, so Squeenix will go bankrupt, and Nintendo can buy them and make all their franchises Nintendo-exclusive.

That is from an actual thread I saw on a Wii U forum, btw.

So, no, just like I don’t talk to people who beat their dogs, or rape children, or punch women (unless they, themselves, are women), or oppose marriage equality, or have imaginary relationships with My Little Pony characters, I try to avoid talking to Wii U fans.